News NRLol allow SouFF$ Rort the cap again

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Todd Greenberg is a big movie buff and wants to meet some Hollywood stars so put 2 and 2 together and you get Inglis/Burgess.

Meanwhile Foran gets back in first grade early and injures himself running out onto the field in his first game back and is ruled out for the rest of the year.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
So what happens if Foran can’t comeback till round 20?
Would they give us the 350k extension for 2021?

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
What a joke. Just when I thought I couldn't hate South's much more, boom!!

Add the NRL to that hatred too. Sick of the obvious rorting going on and being allowed by certain clubs.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Insane. This bloke wont even be in the country in 5 years time. Foran returns, trips over a blade of grass, leg amputated and we reisign him for 2022.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Insane. This bloke wont even be in the country in 5 years time. Foran returns, trips over a blade of grass, leg amputated and we reisign him for 2022.
The club's prepared to do anything to stop Des havin' him ;)

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
How does the NRL reconcile these examples of Inglis & Burgess where they seem to have granted salary cap exemption to Souths for side agreements Souths have struck with Inglis & Burgess who have not been "medically retired" as no claim has been loged with the insurance underwriter.

With the Manly players Stewart & Matti (not sure of the spelling) who did go down the medical retirement process.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard Burgess will be taking up the role of social media content manager. I believe he has alot of experience with dealing with satisfied fans on Instagram

hey Nutboy II do you think is a good job for sam. I'm intrigued on what you think, discuss

Also as usual, make sure you press "like"
Spot on.

He"ll also get a side gig as a hand model advertising expensive watches.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Spot on! The game has no integrity, and it seems to only become worse as time goes on.
Perhaps every team thinks their time will come when they will get the same rub of the green, but I highly doubt it.
The thing I dont get is, how can an ex meathead football player be deserving of a $360K salary in an administrative capacity, when they have no prior experience or expertise?? So how can they possibly allow it? It just doesnt add up. Blatant rorting!!!
He has a contract to play but cant fulfill it due to incapacity. As such, isnt Burgess breaching the contract - he has an inability to perform. So the contract becomes an issue of whether insurance will cover the cost. I cant see why the Club would have to pay. They havent breached the contract, Burgess has.

However, by memory, Burgess was told by Dr's that he needed to sit out 2 full seasons for his shoulder to recover. In such circumstances, if he DID sit out the 2 seasons then came back in the 3rd year, the Club would claim the 2 years of salary from its insurer, and the amount paid to Burgess would be included in the cap.

So they medically retire him, and agree to pay him his $3.6m over 10 years instead and its not included in the cap? Are you kidding me? Pascoe tried to defer some of Farahs salary to a post football admin job too...the Tigers were told No you cant do that and Pascoe was suspended. But Souths CAN??? How does that work? Is Burgesses $360kpa for 10 years included under Souths cap?

If the NRL allow this then watch out for any number of players nearing the twilight of their career doing similar deals - signing big contracts set into the future then medically retiring with the money not counted under the cap and the Club spreading the remaining contract over many years for some bullshit admin role.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So that's two 300k plus salaries now for Inglis and Burgess for doing what exactly?

This couldn't be a more blatant rort.. Just when you think the competition couldn't be more corrupt and unfair, a new low is reached...

My question remains, why do the other clubs sit back and allow this to continually happen? Call Greenberg and the NRL out on their bullshit publicly and stop allowing them to have different rules for Souths, the Roosters and Brisbane etc.

So much for any hope Vlandy's will make a difference by the way...
I'm not sure how other clubs are not protesting about this I can't see any rational circumstances where someone totally without qualifications can just be slotted into a high paying job like this if it's not simply as a means of enticing them to retire. This is absolute bullshit. I think that every former player that's had to retire without receiving their full pay due to injury since the salary cap came in should start a class action suit against the NRL for their full contract payments.

Spot on! The game has no integrity, and it seems to only become worse as time goes on.
Perhaps every team thinks their time will come when they will get the same rub of the green, but I highly doubt it.
The thing I dont get is, how can an ex meathead football player be deserving of a $360K salary in an administrative capacity, when they have no prior experience or expertise?? So how can they possibly allow it? It just doesnt add up. Blatant rorting!!!
Absolutely true. It baffles me to think that the heads of the NRL can't see anything wrong with this. We're seeing an untrained Inglis going into a coaching assistants role and as a potential assistant in player recruitment discussions. But the salary is seriously out of line with reality. Clearly a case of the club having needed to ensure he was getting every dollar of his contract without having to really work at a reasonable rate of pay for it to ensure he didn't do like Foran and stick to his guns about staying in the roster. Now for them to do the same thing and create an imaginary new position on a hefty wage for Burgess is pretty much just taking the piss. I don't begrudge either player for getting their contracts paid in full. Souths committed to the deals and the players didn't do anything wrong (apart from drink driving over the speed limit and public indecency). But unless this same guarantee is offered to every club that they're able to pay out their players in a way that excludes the payments from the salary cap it's blatant cheating. The only grounds the NRL have to defend against future claims of this nature being made is if they're controlling the doctors that assess the viability of medical retirement. I don't want the game ruined by this, but the NRL are skirting dangerous territory for potential legal action in future.

He has a contract to play but cant fulfill it due to incapacity. As such, isnt Burgess breaching the contract - he has an inability to perform. So the contract becomes an issue of whether insurance will cover the cost. I cant see why the Club would have to pay. They havent breached the contract, Burgess has.

However, by memory, Burgess was told by Dr's that he needed to sit out 2 full seasons for his shoulder to recover. In such circumstances, if he DID sit out the 2 seasons then came back in the 3rd year, the Club would claim the 2 years of salary from its insurer, and the amount paid to Burgess would be included in the cap.

So they medically retire him, and agree to pay him his $3.6m over 10 years instead and its not included in the cap? Are you kidding me? Pascoe tried to defer some of Farahs salary to a post football admin job too...the Tigers were told No you cant do that and Pascoe was suspended. But Souths CAN??? How does that work? Is Burgesses $360kpa for 10 years included under Souths cap?

If the NRL allow this then watch out for any number of players nearing the twilight of their career doing similar deals - signing big contracts set into the future then medically retiring with the money not counted under the cap and the Club spreading the remaining contract over many years for some bullshit admin role.
The big issue isn't the club claiming the money that would have paid Burgess. The issue is that they offered a player a long term contract to get him to commit to the club. Now that they're without the player they've got his salary cap space freed up but they're still paying him outside of the cap. It means that realistically they're being given an unfair advantage that doesn't punish their decision to sign an injury prone player to a long term contract. I'm sure that Souths wen't into meetings with the NRL and said they're not going to claim the insurance if the NRL allowed them to pay out the players from their own pockets. Because the NRL seem to be run by people that would hold onto every coin in their possession so hard that they'd leave fingerprint indentations.

Purely and simply Souths have had a loophole created to allow them to escape salary cap compliance.

Things like this may not sit poorly with casual fans of the game. But I'd say that people that get on these forums are possibly trying to be more involved with the game than those who just watch it on the weekkends and these kind of decisions reek of favoritism. If in future they dismiss claims from any other club to roirt the cap in similar ways, they're going to lose some fans who are heavily invested in the game emotionally or intellectually.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
The NRL are just lucky that there isn't a sport that is as good as rugby league or else they would be fucked. Even though Greenberg and his band of fucking useless gimps are trying their best to turn the NRL into a corrupt cesspool where bias is at an extreme level, there is really no alternative when it comes to a team sport worth watching. If there was an alternative a hell of a lot of people would have turned their back forever on the NRL and it's shonky goings-on, I know I would have.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The NRL are just lucky that there isn't a sport that is as good as rugby league or else they would be fucked. Even though Greenberg and his band of fucking useless gimps are trying their best to turn the NRL into a corrupt cesspool where bias is at an extreme level, there is really no alternative when it comes to a team sport worth watching. If there was an alternative a hell of a lot of people would have turned their back forever on the NRL and it's shonky goings-on, I know I would have.
If Dogs fold I'd never watch league ever again and stick with the Crusaders and All Blacks in Union.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
If Dogs fold I'd never watch league ever again and stick with the Crusaders and All Blacks in Union.
How do you rate union as a spectacle compared to league mate? I enjoy the Test matches when they are a close contest but overall to me league is a much better game to watch in general. Soccer is as boring as batshit so even though the muppets at NRL HQ are doing their best to kill our sport as a legit, even playing field where the majority of clubs are title contenders I will continue to watch until the Rorters are gifted their 9th successive premiership whilst being allowed to spend more money on players than the entire bottom 8 clubs combined.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
How do you rate union as a spectacle compared to league mate? I enjoy the Test matches when they are a close contest but overall to me league is a much better game to watch in general. Soccer is as boring as batshit so even though the muppets at NRL HQ are doing their best to kill our sport as a legit, even playing field where the majority of clubs are title contenders I will continue to watch until the Rorters are gifted their 9th successive premiership whilst being allowed to spend more money on players than the entire bottom 8 clubs combined.
Well if it's NZ teams in the comp and All Blacks in Internationals, it is a awesome spectacle as they actually go for tries and a bit of razzle dazzle.

Australia and the majority of northern hemisphere poofs only play for penalties.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Souffs have the biggest supporter base in the game but we have seen that even their fan base is diminishing so the NRL is doing whatever they can to gift them another premiership

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah we did to confirm we were cap compliant. We weren't looking for loopholes like souffs are.
One thing I will say is... Roosters players work hard for their premierships... Souffs get favours both on and off the field.... I am not saying it because of the 2014 gf... but I remember a time when you could predict exactly when Souffs were going to receive piggyback penalties in just about every one of their games.. used to give me the shits, and I think we're about to see the same thing happen over the next few seasons, the way this is all playing out