News NRLol allow SouFF$ Rort the cap again

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
EXCLUSIVE: South Sydney are ready to honour Sam Burgess’s $3.6 million contract with a move that will keep the retiring great with the Rabbitohs for another decade.

Phil Rothfield and Jonathon Moran, The Daily Telegraph
|
Sam Burgess has emerged from another tumultuous week in his private life with a multimillion-dollar long-term job offer with the South Sydney Rabbitohs.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal the champion forward will be employed in an administration role should the NRL grant his request to be medically retired from the game with the shoulder injury.

Burgess is still on a $3.6 million three-year contract at South Sydney.

The club will honour the deal over a long-term arrangement – possibly at $360,000-a-season for 10 years – and train him in football administration. He has no ambitions to coach.

The finer details of his remuneration package are being finalised as Burgess prepares for a divorce from his wife Phoebe and life after football.

He would learn the football club business under highly regarded chief executive Blake Solly and veteran football general manager Shane Richardson, working alongside sponsors and playing a role in recruitment.

The NRL is expected to approve his medical retirement by the end of the week.

Outside of the new job at Souths, Burgess also recently signed a new commentary deal at Fox Sports.

When contacted on Tuesday, Burgess, who was photographed looking fit during a swim at Coogee Beach, said he couldn’t discuss his contract negotiations.

“There’s nothing official to say just yet,” he said. “We are working through the deal at the moment and I am excited at the prospect of developing further skills off the field.”

Well I guess we could all see it coming, particularly with all the noise about SouFF$ wanting to sign Jai Arrow.
The decision on Burgess' medical retirement went from to be made next year, to being made by the end of the week over the course of a couple of days...

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a fucken joke, everyone knows this is a rort except the nrl.

Meanwhile Kieran Foran :unamused:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So that's two 300k plus salaries now for Inglis and Burgess for doing what exactly?

This couldn't be a more blatant rort.. Just when you think the competition couldn't be more corrupt and unfair, a new low is reached...

My question remains, why do the other clubs sit back and allow this to continually happen? Call Greenberg and the NRL out on their bullshit publicly and stop allowing them to have different rules for Souths, the Roosters and Brisbane etc.

So much for any hope Vlandy's will make a difference by the way...

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So that's two 300k plus salaries now for Inglis and Burgess for doing what exactly?

This couldn't be a more blatant rort.. Just when you think the competition couldn't be more corrupt and unfair, a new low is reached...

My question remains, why do the other clubs sit back and allow this to continually happen? Call Greenberg and the NRL out on their bullshit publicly and stop allowing them to have different rules for Souths, the Roosters and Brisbane etc.

So much for any hope Vlandy's will make a difference by the way...
Spot on! The game has no integrity, and it seems to only become worse as time goes on.
Perhaps every team thinks their time will come when they will get the same rub of the green, but I highly doubt it.
The thing I dont get is, how can an ex meathead football player be deserving of a $360K salary in an administrative capacity, when they have no prior experience or expertise?? So how can they possibly allow it? It just doesnt add up. Blatant rorting!!!

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So their trying to blackmail the NRL to approve the medical retirement? If they don’t approve it, Sam doesn’t get his 10yr job?

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So their trying to blackmail the NRL to approve the medical retirement? If they don’t approve it, Sam doesn’t get his 10yr job?
This has Shane Richardson written all over it. He worked for the NRL in between gigs at souffs so it's safe to assume he knows all the loopholes to exploit. I'll be surprised if the other clubs don't arc up about it.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
This is how a club should conduct business. Meanwhile were pussy footing around with Foran ffs. He should NEVER have worn our jersey, fucking discard him dickheads.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
This has Shane Richardson written all over it. He worked for the NRL in between gigs at souffs so it's safe to assume he knows all the loopholes to exploit. I'll be surprised if the other clubs don't arc up about it.
Hey, you employed Ian Schubert for a reason mate :grinning:

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yeah we did to confirm we were cap compliant. We weren't looking for loopholes like souffs are.
Looking from the outside and presuming Schubert is squeaky clean I’d suspect what he was shown was complaint.
I know, I have no proof of otherwise though so won’t go there

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking from the outside and presuming Schubert is squeaky clean I’d suspect what he was shown was complaint.
I know, I have no proof of otherwise though so won’t go there
I understand your skepticism I really do as given this situation with lol@souffs, I too am highly skeptical that it's legit, but it may well be.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Spot on! The game has no integrity, and it seems to only become worse as time goes on.
Perhaps every team thinks their time will come when they will get the same rub of the green, but I highly doubt it.
The thing I dont get is, how can an ex meathead football player be deserving of a $360K salary in an administrative capacity, when they have no prior experience or expertise?? So how can they possibly allow it? It just doesnt add up. Blatant rorting!!!
Correct. Except it’s been many years since we got the rub of the green.. same rule doesn’t apply to all it seems.!! NRLOL!

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
What a fucken joke, everyone knows this is a rort except the nrl.

Meanwhile Kieran Foran :unamused:
On the other hand, everyone knew giving Foran ! million a season was a rort except our moronic former administration.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Correct. Except it’s been many years since we got the rub of the green.. same rule doesn’t apply to all it seems.!! NRLOL!
That part of my post was tongue in cheek. In the "hope".

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who gets a guaranteed decade-long employment in the current economic climate, this is absurdity to the max!

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
when your souths and have the backing of greenturd, the rules do not apply, hardly surprising this is allowed to happen nrl has never had an even and consistent use of the rule book

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who gets a guaranteed decade-long employment in the current economic climate, this is absurdity to the max!
Well Souffs had to stump up something good for him to agree to retire. I'm guessing he's foregoing the rest of his contract for that.

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard Burgess will be taking up the role of social media content manager. I believe he has alot of experience with dealing with satisfied fans on Instagram

hey Nutboy II do you think is a good job for sam. I'm intrigued on what you think, discuss

Also as usual, make sure you press "like"

Last edited: