Climate change

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I think to a degree Alz is right, the earth does go through cycles and some of it is that. I also think we contribute to it though. Its a combo of both.

Thats said i dont think the solution to it is as simple as some climate protestors would think it is. Do you want to stop buying things made in polluting factories (thats almost anything including the computer or phone you are posting with). Do you want to walk or ride a bike everywhere because cars are the biggest polluter on the planet? At this stage electric cars are no less polluting than petrol cars, because most people plug the things into fossil fueled electricity to charge them, so they do pollute, just less directly. Nuclear power is actually the cleanest power source, but nobody wants to live near a nuclear power plant so they will never be everywhere and replace coal or oil power plants.

Its a losing battle because the more we improve things to reduce pollution, the more we breed and bring it back up again. We used to be a lot more polluting per person, 50+ years ago. But now there are a lot more ppl which offsets the reduction is what i mean.

I also dont think the situation is as dire as some people would have you think. No the earth isnt going to end in the near future if we dont change quickly.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sick of the dusty smokey shithole, the planet is going down the gurgler.
Hopefully everyone dies, the dust settles and the eco system goes back to normal for the animals.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sick of the dusty smokey shithole, the planet is going down the gurgler.
Hopefully everyone dies, the dust settles and the eco system goes back to normal for the animals.
We've had five mass extinctions and the planet has recovered, mankind will simply be the sixth.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
We've had five mass extinctions and the planet has recovered, mankind will simply be the sixth.
The earth itself will go on and survive for another few billion years no worries, along with cockroaches. issue is how long mankind will last.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The earth itself will go on and survive for another few billion years no worries, along with cockroaches. issue is how long mankind will last.
Difficult to say because as a species we're getting stupider with every generation. I welcome our new Insectoid overlords and would happily identify the Insectoid haters on this very forum. :grinning:

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
How long can humans survive breathing soot every day.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Difficult to say because as a species we're getting stupider with every generation. I welcome our new Insectoid overlords and would happily identify the Insectoid haters on this very forum. :grinning:
Oddly enough it’s kind of the opposite. Look up “The Flynn Effect”. It’s research on intelligence that shows that human intelligence has been constantly increasing every generation. And it has been in a predictable pattern so it’s not necessarily like anything is making our intelligence increase. It just is increasing.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
How long can humans survive breathing soot every day.
Depends on concentration levels and how small the particles are. Generally with ash we’re fine unless it’s really heavily concentrated. Ash particles are big so they get in our nose and throat then we cough them up. Smaller particles go into our lungs and they don’t come out. That’s why asbestos is so bad, and why you should always wear a proper dust mast when doing certain dust heavy activities.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oddly enough it’s kind of the opposite. Look up “The Flynn Effect”. It’s research on intelligence that shows that human intelligence has been constantly increasing every generation. And it has been in a predictable pattern so it’s not necessarily like anything is making our intelligence increase. It just is increasing.
Never heard of the Flynn Effect, but our latest rankings in Maths and Science appear to show we are getting stupider or at the very least, not keeping up - https://www.9news.com.au/national/a...ountries/84a27714-32e3-4b04-ab5b-09988dfd6fb3

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The climate has changed on this planet since kick off,bottom line is if we don't start changing the way we live on the joint we will go the way of the dinosaurs .

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, the school system is a mess. The Flynn effect is based on IQ testing in a controlled environment.

There's a good Ted talk where the guy who discovered it (James Flynn) explains it

Thanks I'll check that out.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did check out that Flynn Effect and it's interesting as well as revealing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flynn_effect - "Research suggests that there is an ongoing reversed Flynn effect, i.e. a decline in IQ scores, in Norway, Denmark, Australia, Britain, the Netherlands, Sweden, Finland, France and German-speaking countries,[4] a development which appears to have started in the 1990s."

Although I'm a bit skeptical as the research states they keep "updating" and therefore changing the parameters of the IQ test they take to reveal the results. I'm sure there are smarter people than me doing this updating, but I'd be asking if their changes to the testing is affecting the long term results of this study?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I did check out that Flynn Effect and it's interesting as well as revealing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flynn_effect - "Research suggests that there is an ongoing reversed Flynn effect, i.e. a decline in IQ scores, in Norway, Denmark, Australia, Britain, the Netherlands, Sweden, Finland, France and German-speaking countries,[4] a development which appears to have started in the 1990s."

Although I'm a bit skeptical as the research states they keep "updating" and therefore changing the parameters of the IQ test they take to reveal the results. I'm sure there are smarter people than me doing this updating, but I'd be asking if their changes to the testing is affecting the long term results of this study?
My semi-uneducated guess would be that the IQ test changes are to reflect the change in curriculum and society in general.

One of the biggest criticisms of IQ tests is that they are generally designed to target a certain demographic. Usually US based children.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My semi-uneducated guess would be that the IQ test changes are to reflect the change in curriculum and society in general.
That would make sense.

One of the biggest criticisms of IQ tests is that they are generally designed to target a certain demographic. Usually US based children.
Again makes sense, aiming IQ tests at the dumbest of the dumb sets a benchmark of sorts. It certainly explains Mensa QLD.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Congratulations Time Magazine, you have lost all credibility.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Congratulations Time Magazine, you have lost all credibility.

What credibility?

PS what has that mutt actually done? Read a prepared speech? Well done!