Belmore Blunders

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I watched that game recently on Kayo, they had some classics on. 1993 I think. Ouch...
I was there as a very young kid.. Probably cried after.. Gping to School in Chatswood the next day made it worse.. Although i was always on the side of the Bears in the Manly Bears rivalry

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I was there as a very young kid.. Probably cried after.. Going to School in Chatswood the next day made it worse.. Although i was always on the side of the Bears in the Manly Bears rivalry
Definitely! I don't have a second team, but if I did it would be 'anyone who plays Manly'. Oh wait - and the Chooks, and Soufs, and... :-)

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Two incidents come to mind- not blunders, though:

1. When Belmore was still an oval - Wests Mick Lubinskis crossed for a try that would win the game for the Magpies, but was shoved in the back by a Berries player, lost his balance and stumbled over the dead ball line without grounding the ball. The match was tied, and Wests made us their grudge match for years after.

2. English giant, Merv Hicks crashed over for a try, but referee Col Pearce was in front of him - Merv broke Pearce's ribs. He was the leading ref, and was out for some weeks. The try was allowed.

I also recall an evening trial game that was abandoned because of extreme rain and hail. The area around the ground flooded.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Here is another. Allowing parody football players to play on the ground.

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs great Dallas McIlwain bombing a certain try and certain win when he dropped a regulation ball from Trent Cutler. Knights were up 25-24, Cutler went into open space, 20 metres out with only the fullback in front. Drew and passed beautifully to DMac who spilt it on his chest with the line wide open.
That was the game SBW got sent off early for
High shot A Johns

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason Williams vs Canberra at Parramatta Stadium in 1995. About to score with no one near him, tries to improve position under the posts then gets tackled from behind and gets held up.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not a blunder, but an absolute fluke, Lamb's first try off a Manly kick (0:38)

The things I would do for a Dymock, Lamb and Polly..

Lewis, Coggar and Wakeham? lol

fooch

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Was on the hill at belmore as a young boy when mannix bombed that try everyone stood and blocked my view leaving me perplexed as to why the try was disallowed until it filtered back through the people on the hill not before i lost my shit at the ref for disallowing it. Ah good times

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Still don’t understand this ruling. He was out before passing so ball is dead. No penalty
I think Cummins over ruled the touchie saying he passed it before going out.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
The things I would do for a Dymock, Lamb and Polly..

Lewis, Coggar and Wakeham? lol
We haven't had halves like them since Anasta/Thurston/Sherwin!

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been done before, but all the talk about Belmore yesterday reminded me of two games I was at and witnessed these classic blunders:

1) 1984 - Dogs winger Max Mannix running nearly the length of the field to score only to drop the ball over the line. Luckily, we still won that day with no tries being scored.

2) 1989 - Terry Lamb potted a field goal in the dying minutes to make the score 12-11 against the Knights. He says he thought the score was 10-all at the time, not 12-10. We were sitting on the hill looking at each other saying 'What the' when it happened. Baa made up for it with several other pieces of genius though :-)

Anyone else have similar stories or footage?
Doesn't have to be Belmore of course - these are just two that came to mind having been there...
funny thing is we also won the comp that year with no tries being scored

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
funny thing is we also won the comp that year with no tries being scored
Mark Bugden scored a try in the ‘84 GF, we won 6-4. I was there and will never forget when Mick Cronin missed a penalty to level the scores late in the game with a kick he would’ve made 9 times out of 10. Luckily for us that day was the 10th time :-)

Try-less was when we lost 4-2 to Parra in ‘86.

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
My old man is still dirty on Baa for this... we were there and it cost him on the footy tab because we were on the attack hard and prob would have scored...
Sorry if this has been done before, but all the talk about Belmore yesterday reminded me of two games I was at and witnessed these classic blunders:

1) 1984 - Dogs winger Max Mannix running nearly the length of the field to score only to drop the ball over the line. Luckily, we still won that day with no tries being scored.

2) 1989 - Terry Lamb potted a field goal in the dying minutes to make the score 12-11 against the Knights. He says he thought the score was 10-all at the time, not 12-10. We were sitting on the hill looking at each other saying 'What the' when it happened. Baa made up for it with several other pieces of genius though :-)

Anyone else have similar stories or footage?
Doesn't have to be Belmore of course - these are just two that came to mind having been there...