News Footy Legend's Kids Beg For Action On Concussion, CTE

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
But seriously - this is a tough one. Player welfare needs to be protected, we don't want the game to turn into a tickling contest and it doesn't seem like an NFL style approach of helmets and heavy upper body padding necessarily makes a difference.
What rule changes can really make a difference?
Well it would appear the NRL will have a duty of care to there employees if there is evidence of long term brain damage due to head collision. Will never eliminate the risk so maybe have a clause in player contracts that waver head injury lawsuit. The player excepts the risk when signing. Pay the players extra "danger" money on top of their contract. The NRL continues to do everything to prevent head knocks/collision.
Perhaps not the best idea. I really dont want to see helmets or the sport die altogether.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Well it would appear the NRL will have a duty of care to there employees if there is evidence of long term brain damage due to head collision. Will never eliminate the risk so maybe have a clause in player contracts that waver head injury lawsuit. The player excepts the risk when signing. Pay the players extra "danger" money on top of their contract. The NRL continues to do everything to prevent head knocks/collision.
Perhaps not the best idea. I really dont want to see helmets or the sport die altogether.
I agree with you on helmets or the sport dying out - wouldn't want either.
Part of the problem no doubt will be parents not allowing kids to play the game, that will hurt somewhat.
Assuming insurance companies won't cover the risk I think you're right - it'll come down to the choice of the individual to accept the risk and how well they are remunerated as a whole.
It's definitely a challenge for the administrators going forward.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I agree with you on helmets or the sport dying out - wouldn't want either.
Part of the problem no doubt will be parents not allowing kids to play the game, that will hurt somewhat.
Assuming insurance companies won't cover the risk I think you're right - it'll come down to the choice of the individual to accept the risk and how well they are remunerated as a whole.
It's definitely a challenge for the administrators going forward.
Good point about the kiddies, I didnt think of that aspect and the impact it could have on the popularity/growth of the sport.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
CTE will cause the death of NRL and most contact sports sooner or later. Insurance companies won’t cover any one and that will be that.
It's a huge issue but the money they make off the TV rights and sponsorship will mean that the game will always survive.

There's been a lot of data and research done across boxing, the NFL and NRL etc as well as scientific studies which the powers that be are all well aware of. And yet the game continues as is and we still have farcical concussion rules that get abused every game.

The sad fact is, people love the confrontational nature of Rugby League and the other sports I mentioned and people will always be willing to play those sports despite the consequences and evidence proving how dangerous it is.. Most people will sign any waiver necessary to play.

The only thing that can be done is to ensure that a greater duty of care is applied with each concussion moving forward. Each concussion should result in one or two weeks on the sidelines and any repeat instances should mean sitting out for a month or more or indefinitely. But the fact that such a simple rule change to protect players hasn't been applied yet indicates that the NRL and RLPA still aren't taking this seriously enough...

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Helmets aren't the answer.. They all wear helmets in the NFL and they have an even bigger concussion and CTE problem than Rugby League. Sometimes the helmets can worsen the impact and damage caused to the brain if the helmet itself makes contact to some ones head.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In the early days of league there was a 5m defensive line as opposed to the 10m we have these days. Going back to that system could really reduce the level of impacts.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
A tricky and sensitive issue, made worse that (in my understanding) it can only be measured after death.

I mean it stands to reason that big contact = whiplash = brain trauma, but yet the game plays on. Head gear and helmets might protect the skull, but are they going to prevent whiplash, or a next jammed in sideways in a tackle if it hits a hip?

With a potential duty of care issue in the future it's going to be interesting to see what direction the NRL take on this one.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A tricky and sensitive issue, made worse that (in my understanding) it can only be measured after death.

I mean it stands to reason that big contact = whiplash = brain trauma, but yet the game plays on. Head gear and helmets might protect the skull, but are they going to prevent whiplash, or a next jammed in sideways in a tackle if it hits a hip?

With a potential duty of care issue in the future it's going to be interesting to see what direction the NRL take on this one.
Welcome back bro! You have been missed

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
CTE aside - is anyone else surprised by the cause of his death? A heart related issue?

This is a guy, who would run 2nd (out of our whole squad and trainers) in all major pre-season fitness work outs, did not touch a big mac for 30 + years, and was just in general a super fitness freak?

Just goes to show you - live your life!

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

Helmets do absolutely NOTHING for CTE. Not even a 1% improvement. Your brain is “floating” in fluid in your skull. When you get hit/whiplash your brain impacts your skull causing permanent damage and huge risks of Alzheimer’s/personality disorders/violence/depression.

Helmets may actually worsen concussions as players feel safer with them on. Leading to more aggressive style of play.

I would be absolutely shocked if James Graham doesn’t develop Alzheimer’s or kills himself unfortunately.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Helmets do absolutely NOTHING for CTE. Not even a 1% improvement. Your brain is “floating” in fluid in your skull. When you get hit/whiplash your brain impacts your skull causing permanent damage and huge risks of Alzheimer’s/personality disorders/violence/depression.

Helmets may actually worsen concussions as players feel safer with them on. Leading to more aggressive style of play.

I would be absolutely shocked if James Graham doesn’t develop Alzheimer’s or kills himself unfortunately.
100% this. And it's not the one off concussion you get from a hit that causes this type of damage, it is the repeated hits over long periods of time that are the root cause of CTE. What the NRL are doing about sitting players out for every increasing weeks at a time if they sustain repeated hits is the best thing they can do.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

Mr I , mr sensible and mr realistic!! Welcome back mate :grinning:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Helmets do absolutely NOTHING for CTE. Not even a 1% improvement. Your brain is “floating” in fluid in your skull. When you get hit/whiplash your brain impacts your skull causing permanent damage and huge risks of Alzheimer’s/personality disorders/violence/depression. Helmets may actually worsen concussions as players feel safer with them on. Leading to more aggressive style of play.
I've always questioned how decent effective head gear really is. Not sure what the answer is, but it's a tricky one that definitely needs to be addressed.

Other sports would be even worse though (e.g boxing).

Welcome back bro! You have been missed
Mr I , mr sensible and mr realistic!! Welcome back mate :grinning:
Thanks.. don't get too excited.. I'm not going to be around as much moving forwards. Other things to attend to.

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score
In the early days of league there was a 5m defensive line as opposed to the 10m we have these days. Going back to that system could really reduce the level of impacts.
Agreed Alan. RL players now are bigger, stronger and faster than 20 years ago, there will always be contact but anything to reduce that intense impact might reduce concussions. The NRL has to do something to address the safety and ongoing health of players or the lawyers will have a field day and I fear what the future of rugby league will look like.