Why the Dogs?

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good one. Yes I did too but got it flung in my face with incidious threatening "we know where you live" type posts...it felt like that at least.

Most people don't realise that the level of intimidation that's been going on in here. Either publicly or pm's.
Sad that it happens like that.
I think the level of insult and offensive language that abounds on the Kennel is well due for an overhaul, and tougher moderation implemented. After all, there is no age limit, and young people are reading that trash. It also hurts and demoralises.
It is a sign of lack of education when people have to result to insults and offensive language instead of using decency and consideration.
Look up Dunning-Kruger and you have a perfect description of many of the foul language "experts" who attack other's viewpoints.
There is a difference between arguing and fighting.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Great post Steve!

My dad went to Canterbury boys high and I am a bulldogs supporter because he was.

The sunday before he died I watched the win against St George 25th August 2018. While his attention was wandering a bit during the game we both really enjoyed watching that big win after a long hard season.

My brother David is somehow is a Roosters fan but the three of us watched countless bulldogs games live over the years including the 2004 grand final. Dad & I were also in attendance at the 1984 victory.

I love the mighty Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs just like my dad.
I went to Canterbury Boys High as well. Was there 1961-1965. Back then we did the Leaving Certificate, so high school went for five years.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Sad that it happens like that.
I think the level of insult and offensive language that abounds on the Kennel is well due for an overhaul, and tougher moderation implemented. After all, there is no age limit, and young people are reading that trash. It also hurts and demoralises.
It is a sign of lack of education when people have to result to insults and offensive language instead of using decency and consideration.
Look up Dunning-Kruger and you have a perfect description of many of the foul language "experts" who attack other's viewpoints.
There is a difference between arguing and fighting.
Hopefully it's in the past.

Mr I posted the other night so he must be around.

I don't know why the foul stuff started up but it is only a few who have no tolerance of others viewpoints. If we didnt have those differences, there'd be very few Topics and nothing much to talk about lol.

There's plenty of other sites if fans just want to agree with each other.

Its the bullying and offensive insults that are the worry.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Hopefully it's in the past.

Mr I posted the other night so he must be around.

I don't know why the foul stuff started up but it is only a few who have no tolerance of others viewpoints. If we didnt have those differences, there'd be very few Topics and nothing much to talk about lol.

There's plenty of other sites if fans just want to agree with each other.

Its the bullying and offensive insults that are the worry.
I think it’s important that if people are going to troll and have digs at each other they can handle some back too

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I think it’s important that if people are going to troll and have digs at each other they can handle some back too
Please don't start up again.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Please don't start up again.
I haven’t started anything. It’s a fact you need to learn. It’s a two way street. None of us want bickering and depressing crap

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I haven’t started anything. It’s a fact you need to learn. It’s a two way street. None of us want bickering and depressing crap
We've already covered this and why it happened.

Stop flogging and move on in the spirit that is shown with the above posts.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
We've already covered this and why it happened.

Stop flogging and move on in the spirit that is shown with the above posts.
Flogging and move on? I was replying to your post about this exact subject 30 minutes ago?!?

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I went to Canterbury Boys High as well. Was there 1961-1965. Back then we did the Leaving Certificate, so high school went for five years.

My dad was a few years before you in the 1950s and he left school at 15 I think. First job interview he went to he had to take his mum, my grandmother. The school must have been good back then because dad had a big career and was never unemployed a day in his life.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Born in Canterbury Hospital, so was my mum. Nan lived in Sharp St Belmore till about 1990. My kids, sister, cousins, cousins kids etc are all mad doggies fans. Garry Dowling was my first ever 'favourite player' and I still remember running on and patting him on the back after a win at Belmore in '75. Very proud to be a doggies supporter.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary Dowling was my first favorite too:grinning:
I recall the news agencies back in the day sold a big fold out team poster and on the back was an individual profile of each player wearing the guernsey. Garry Dowling was the only one not wearing it and he seemed like he was sweating with a fever.
Anyway may he rest in peace.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary Dowling was my first favorite too:grinning:
I recall the news agencies back in the day sold a big fold out team poster and on the back was an individual profile of each player wearing the guernsey. Garry Dowling was the only one not wearing it and he seemed like he was sweating with a fever.
Anyway may he rest in peace.
Did you see the recent short vid on the Bulldogs Website "Pumping Iron in the 70's". Dowling only appears briefly, but enough to see what a barrel-chested beast he was.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
T'was 1995.

Was riding in our Mitsubishi van with the fam bam off to a function. It was the night before the Grand Final. I did not really have an affiliation with a team at this stage. I had mates down the road who were doggies supporters. Grew up in Croydon, which back then - probably meant I should be a Balmain supporter I guess?

Somehow the conversation of the GF came up (Family of 8, and 6 of them are women who had very little interest in League). To end the topic of conversation on the GF, my old mans' final words were (in a somewhat thick accent)...

"Z Bulldog will eat Z Eagle"

I have been a Bulldogs supporter ever since.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
My dad was a few years before you in the 1950s and he left school at 15 I think. First job interview he went to he had to take his mum, my grandmother. The school must have been good back then because dad had a big career and was never unemployed a day in his life.
Didn't like the school, but yeah - I was never out of work, so it must have done me some good.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
When I was 3 or 4, I followed the blue team because boys wore blue.

PS I thought dragons were a girls team......still do lol