Why the Dogs?

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Great thread Steve...

I grew up in the area also, living in Canterbury, Condell Park and Revesby... All of my family are Saints fans but my Grandmother and I went for the dogs. My earliest memory is when I was 5 and we were in the 88 GF against Balmain and watched the game as a family back when Graeme Hughes was commentating on channel 10 and you had the "State Bank replay" for the games....

Some of the best games I went to was a semi against St.George in the rain which was maybe 94 which we won...

And the best of all was the 98 GF qualifier against Parra when we made that massive comeback and won easily in extra time. We were right in line with Halligans conversions, Paul Carige's chip and chance from his own in goal and then Polly's 50 metre field goal which just went under the crossbar...
Ha, interesting story as for that Parra qualifier I was also behind the posts tho a bit to the left. Remember my dad and his partner saying it was all over and replying "We're the Dogs. Never give up on us" For me that's what it means to be a Bulldog supporter. The feeling that the boys will do anything for that shirt. Leave everything out on the field.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
My parents met at a Belmore game... my dad is from Doonside but became a doggies man through my pop, and my mum was raised in Bankstown/East Hills... my whole childhood was based around the Doggies... going to watch the junior grades into the FG games at Belmore... kicking the shit out of random objects when we would lose grand finals..

my sister started supporting the Knights when we were kids because she had a crush on Joey... she decked the house out for one of the few grand finals they made... ever since then I have absolutely hated the Knights! my brother is a traitor also.. he supports the Sharts
Haha I had the same trouble :grinning: my daughter started going for the Knights cos of Joey..lost interest after a while tho.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
My parents met at a Belmore game... my dad is from Doonside but became a doggies man through my pop, and my mum was raised in Bankstown/East Hills... my whole childhood was based around the Doggies... going to watch the junior grades into the FG games at Belmore... kicking the shit out of random objects when we would lose grand finals..

my sister started supporting the Knights when we were kids because she had a crush on Joey... she decked the house out for one of the few grand finals they made... ever since then I have absolutely hated the Knights! my brother is a traitor also.. he supports the Sharts
Don't know how you could deal with family members supporting another team. All my family, cousins, any relative supports the Dogs. If they didn't I'd put them in a ditch. Fuckers.

My kids haven't been to a game but I can tell you now that if they start supporting any other team than the Dogs they'll be sleeping elsewhere.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I didn't have a choice! Both sides of my family are rusted on supporters and I was taken to the 1984 GF when I wasn't even a month old!

My old man has been a season ticket holder and football club member since the 70's and my grand dad was even further back then that.

Some of my earliest memories are Bulldogs games.

I know things could be better for the club but according to my old man the 60's and 70's were bleaker and we came out of it and dominated.

Every Dog has it's day and we will be back!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm the last of 5 siblings and my dad bought us all Bulldogs jumpsuits before we were born. So I guess I was brainwashed about who I support. But I have no regrets about it. I spent my childhood years between Minto-liverpool geographically. So I'm glad the choice wasn't in my hands or perhaps I'd support the tigpies. That would be tragic. The Bulldogs have given me some of my proudest/happiest sporting memories.

But since 2004 our club has been through a slew of troubles with the end result being a lack of on field success. I'm hopeful that this tough period is almost a time we can all look back on once we're a dominant team again soon. Only results will give us an indication of how well this board has done with the rebuild. And I know that it's neither an easy or instant process. I'm willing to give this board more time to earn our respect. They seem to have made ground towards the old foundation of our past success by starting to get our nursery back on track. Our top squad is the most visible thing though and it will take a little more time to get it back among the elite clubs.

I think a few fans round here could temper their panic a lot. But it's not my place to dictate how to support the club. I think that more is going on behind the boardroom doors than us outsiders can tell. The media have treated us poorly in recent times, so it stands to reason that the club aren't going to help them out by gifting them with information to drive their profits up. Negotiations don't benefit from excessive media scrutiny. Potential recruits don't need the attention and like a game of poker, the club doesn't benefit from showing their cards. I know that some people find it difficult to put faith in the board when they can't see them doing a lot. But our next round of recruits won't be here for twelve months yet. So it's a bit early to assume the club isn't going to sign any talent.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Haha I had the same trouble :grinning: my daughter started going for the Knights cos of Joey..lost interest after a while tho.
kids these days... you do everything for them and then they go and pull something like that

Don't know how you could deal with family members supporting another team. All my family, cousins, any relative supports the Dogs. If they didn't I'd put them in a ditch. Fuckers.

My kids haven't been to a game but I can tell you now that if they start supporting any other team than the Dogs they'll be sleeping elsewhere.
My brother isn't a huge footy fan so it isn't so bad with him.. but when my sister and I watch Dogs Knights games together... I become so evil inside when we beat them lol.... and bitter as hell if we lose! it is pretty funny but, they took Klemmer and still finished on the same points as our least experienced team in a long time

same goes for people who have a second team.... I will always be Bulldogs and Bulldogs only... some teams I don't mind watching sometimes but that's it

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
same goes for people who have a second team.... I will always be Bulldogs and Bulldogs only... some teams I don't mind watching sometimes but that's it
I hear ya. I’d never call the Knights my second team, but my Newcastle heritage and still having some friends there I guess gives me a slight soft spot for them. It’s not that significant given I left Newcastle before the Knights existed and anyway nothing would ever come close to my love for the Dogs - and as you say - it’s war when the Dogs play them! :-)

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good thread mate and a real good way to shift the feeling to all of us been united in following the dogs.
I have a dilemna coming my way.
I'm expecting my first grand child soon and the in-laws are all eels supporters. There will be a window of 2 or so years for me to brainwash with cuddly bulldog toys. Good luck to the other party with stuffed eels.
Anyway I do hope in this time the bulldogs can rise and grandfather and grandchild live happily ever after :grinning:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Good thread mate and a real good way to shift the feeling to all of us been united in following the dogs.
I have a dilemna coming my way.
I'm expecting my first grand child soon and the in-laws are all eels supporters. There will be a window of 2 or so years for me to brainwash with cuddly bulldog toys. Good luck to the other party with stuffed eels.
Anyway I do hope in this time the bulldogs can rise and grandfather and grandchild live happily ever after :grinning:
Wouldn’t they be better described as outlaws rather in-laws being Eels fans? ;-) Good luck @oldpuppy, hope the little person becomes a Bulldog!

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Half of my extended family go for Souths. My Grandfather and grandmother both ran a business in Redfern, and all their children also go for Souths. My mum doesn't really follow the game, but Souths would be the team she goes for.

When my father came out to Australia, he lived in Campsie, so naturally went for the Bulldogs. My siblings and I were born in Canterbury Hospital and grew up in Campsie, and our father made sure we were Bulldogs supporters. That's pretty much my story.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I hear ya. I’d never call the Knights my second team, but my Newcastle heritage and still having some friends there I guess gives me a slight soft spot for them. It’s not that significant given I left Newcastle before the Knights existed and anyway nothing would ever come close to my love for the Dogs - and as you say - it’s war when the Dogs play them! :-)

I give their fans credit... it's always a good day up there going to games... but screw them haha... Dogs of War!!

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I didn't have a choice! Both sides of my family are rusted on supporters and I was taken to the 1984 GF when I wasn't even a month old!

My old man has been a season ticket holder and football club member since the 70's and my grand dad was even further back then that.

Some of my earliest memories are Bulldogs games.

I know things could be better for the club but according to my old man the 60's and 70's were bleaker and we came out of it and dominated.

Every Dog has it's day and we will be back!
I’m glad I got a choice. And I’m glad a picked the right team/club to support, I have to say I got rather lucky lol.. and as far as the supporters, and being apart of the kennel with all you guys makes it all worth it.!! Doggs only.. fuck the rest :grinning:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
On the day of the 2004 Grand Final I heard my family talking about it. I had never heard of or watched Rugby League at this point in time. I decided to watch the game and I told myself I would support whoever won. I wasn't born into Rugby League and instead I was the one to bring my direct family into the game.

Growing up (basically rural - 3 hours from Sydney) I loved playing touch football (on the street with my neighbours and at school), dragon/AUS tag and collecting Rugby League cards and tarzos (in packets of chips before school). My Dad supported the Roosters, my Cousin supported the Eels and my best friend growing up supported the Tigers. Add Storm and Rabbitohs (Grand Final opponents) to that list and those are the rivalries that have stuck with me.

I wouldn't say I was a massive fan (of Rugby League and the Bulldogs) until Des' days (2012) where I'd do my best to watch every game on TV (over the last two years I have watched basically every game of the season). The older I have got the more important Rugby League has become for me (it's a big part of my life now). I have the most memories (mainly of players) from this period of time as I was more invested. I'm a very competitive person and I have developed an emotional connection with the club. I ride every game and every season with the players. After a loss it can ruin the rest of my night and even week.

Not the most exciting story and I'm one of the younger supporters here but everyone starts somewhere!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I’m glad I got a choice. And I’m glad a picked the right team/club to support, I have to say I got rather lucky lol.. and as far as the supporters, and being apart of the kennel with all you guys makes it all worth it.!! Doggs only.. fuck the rest :grinning:
Healing to hear all our stories. My grandparents there right from the very beginning. Had players registered at their house in Campsie when the players had to live in their own districts. (They didnt lol)

We've been indoctrinated from birth Scoobes but you actually chose us...top fan ;)

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I was born in Athens and we moved to Australia when I was quite young.

Grew up in Campsie, Went to Harcourt Public and eventually Belmore Boys.

For a couple of years we lived on Loftus St right next to Belmore Oval, back in the days they used to open the gates at half time. I had kicked out 2 of the fence pailings of the wooden fence at the back carpark of the units and would go down the hill, cross the muddy carpark and onto the hill. Watched every 2nd half of our home games from age 11 -13. Full-time siren would blow, run out onto the field, pat the players on the back, throw a football around with complete strangers and then troll the stadium for left behind RLW magazines.

For a kid who lived in a unit complex with no other kids, a sibling who was too young to drag along, this was always a highlight of a pre-adolesent Sunday Afternoon.

When we won the 2004 GF and the boys were starting their lap of honour, I was jumping around the livingroom like a lunatic, my son who spent the game in front of the TV with me, got up and took his first steps. Bulldogs DNA LOL!!!!!!!!!!

I have seen much success and disappointment (especially with the end of the Entertainers era in '81). They were my heroes.

To me, the board was elected to do a job. They set out a timeline for their plans. At the moment we sit in the middle of the timeline. If they they haven't succeeded then they will be out on their arses.

I agree with many on here that are frustrated with the lack of knowlege of the inner workings of the club and what they are doing to improve us. On the other hand, do you really want to tip your opposition on what you are up to? At my work place we don't make public announcements on what we intend to do. We wait until all the pieces are in place, all the i's are dotted and t's crossed before letting outsiders know our future plans.

They were voted in to do a job and a timeframe to complete the job. Up to them to succeed. Strap yourselves in Boys and Girls we are half way there and whats coming is going to a hell of a ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Healing to hear all our stories. My grandparents there right from the very beginning. Had players registered at their house in Campsie when the players had to live in their own districts. (They didnt lol)

We've been indoctrinated from birth Scoobes but you actually chose us...top fan ;)
Love it.. !! Thanks wendog :grinning:

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
De Witt St Bankstown as a kid and went to Bankstown Primary for a couple of years. All my mates were Berries so when in Rome...

I can list dozens of guys I have loved watching play for Canterbury, but Robbo, Dr George and Turvey where the reason I came to love the Dogs. I will never forget Dr George (our Australian Captain) giving a great losing speech after the 17-13 loss to the stupid Dragons and finishing with "1980 will be the year of the Bulldog". Turvey's awesome cover defense, his great battles with Steve Morris, winning the State of origin as Captain and his chip and chase.

But Robbo... Nothing matches being on the hill when he was running off the back fence. Socks down looking like a cave man in footy gear with zero concern for his own physical well being. The crowd always loved him.

Been at the ground when we won and lost GF's but 95 was my favourite because it was against the dirty Sea Budgies and we were not supposed to win and came from the bottom of the eight winning some awesome games on the way to the GF. Baa was on a mission after getting sin binned and I was surrounded by Manly supporters the whole game and just gave it too them until I was hoarse.

My favourite memory of the day was coming out of the stadium and seeing these guys who had made the 95 Premiership t-shirts trying to sell the thousands of Manly ones made because they backed them to win, trying to flog them for $10 after originally asking $25. I offered a bloke $2 bucks as I walked past and he told me to piss off, before following us across the park trying his hardest to get $5. He eventually took the $2 and I gave it next day to a Manly supporting mate as a new car wash rag..

Also on that day in 95 I was with a great mate of mine who is actually a Parra supporter who made a banner out of a white bed sheet and blue house painted saying Bye Bye Baa Baa that ended up around Lambs neck and in press photos the next day with him wearing it celebrating with the team.

Last edited:

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes we all get a little bit lost in all of the debate on this page and forget that we're all Bulldog supporters and ultimately we all want one thing. To get back to the winning and glory days of the mighty Blue & White!

It's clear from looking at everyone's comments that we're all passionate supporters, and I honestly think that Bulldog fans are the best in Australia as we've literally gone through more than any other fanbase. Whether it be the Super League years, salary cap scandals, off the field incidents etc. etc. we've always had it tough. But we've stuck with the club through it all.

Personally my family grew up in Greenacre so there wasn't a choice really with who to choose. Dogs or nothing. But those early years at Belmore. Getting into the sheds after the game. Meeting players. Lamb's farewell cricket game. Those backs-against-the-wall finals wins. Watching the '95 final at the ground. Everything about the Dogs made me fall in love with them, and I'm sure you all share the same story.

We all want what's best for the club. Let's just try to be patient with it all as good things are on the horizon. If they're not I'll join in the chorus of complaints but until then I'm going to remember why I fell in love with this club and smile that I'm finally starting to get that feeling back from the club ... slowly :grinning:)
GREAT POST MATE,
I grew up in the bush, and decided to follow the then Berries in 1967, probably as a result of them ending the Dragons run.
I have seen much since then, and how situations continue to change in all aspects of life including Rugby League, the way you did things successfully yesterday was tops and you won, do things the same way today and the best you can hope for is second prize.
For a long time the game was run by a governing body made up of the clubs representatives, today as result of the broadcasting rights the game is run by the media, and some clever people have found a way to influence the media, namely Politis with his side kick Gyngel on the board of CH9, it is very clear that they have also been able to influence New's LTD.
Funny how in 1995 or 6, I told a very passionate and influential fan of our club about the influence Politis would one day wield, he laughed it off saying that Politis was only a used car salesman, is this fact not true today.
I am a retired bush engineer and farmer, and at 75 I'm not confident of ever seeing our beloved club win another comp, to many head winds, the never ending hate against our club since the SL war is well documented.
The only way we will see our club return to its glory days is if something out of left field just happens to turn up.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
De Witt St Bankstown as a kid and went to Bankstown Primary for a couple of years. All my mates were Berries so when in Rome...

I can list dozens of guys I have loved watching play for Canterbury, but Robbo, Dr George and Turvey where the reason I came to love the Dogs. I will never forget Dr George (our Australian Captain) giving a great losing speech after the 17-13 loss to the stupid Dragons and finishing with "1980 will be the year of the Bulldog". Turvey's awesome cover defense, his great battles with Steve Morris, winning the State of origin as Captain and his chip and chase.

But Robbo... Nothing matches being on the hill when he was running off the back fence. Socks down looking like a cave man in footy gear with zero concern for his own physical well being. The crowd always loved him.

Been at the ground when we won and lost GF's but 95 was my favourite because it was against the dirty Sea Budgies and we not supposed to win and came from the bottom of the eight winning some awesome games on the way to the GF. Baa was on a mission after getting sin binned and I was surrounded by Manly supporters the whole game and just gave it too them until I was hoarse.

My favourite memory of the day was coming out of the stadium and seeing these guys who had made the 95 Premiership t-shirts trying to sell the thousands of Manly ones made because they backed them to win, trying to flog them for $10 after originally asking $25. I offered a bloke $2 bucks as I walked past and he told me to piss off, before following us across the park trying his hardest to get $5. He eventually took the $2 and I gave it next day to a Manly supporting mate as a new car wash rag..
Quality @Bazildog.
But wouldn’t your mates car have ended up dirtier washing it with that??
Actually, maybe that was your point :-)

I remember disgruntled Eagles banging on about how we allegedly got 7 tackles on 1 play, even though it had zero effect on the outcome.

That was supposed to be Baa’s last game and was the ultimate way to go out (especially after losing the ‘94 GF) until he came back in ‘96 to help us when the Super League defections started.