Desperate bulldogs to scour the globe for talent

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
A bloke who sounded like an ex-jockey whingeing about the club making excuses, not signing Fijians & asking who our head of recruitment was. Definitely a kennel complainer. He was quickly put in his place by a bulldog, rooster & tiger haha
Kennel Bleat = FAIL
Radio Bleat = FAIL
What’s next - a soapbox somewhere?

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Kennel Bleat = FAIL
Radio Bleat = FAIL
What’s next - a soapbox somewhere?
Haha. My personal highlight was;
Caller: “Who is in charge of recruitment at the dogs anyway?”
Graeme Hughes: “Umm my brother Mark”
Hahahaha

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The club did pass on Matt Prior..

I dont rate Napa as a starting prop and would look to offload him at first opportunity once we have another prop..

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

I dont rate Napa as a starting prop and would look to offload him at first opportunity once we have another prop..
Matt Prior is meh. I would rather have Luke Thompson, Toomanga, Ogden or Jai Arrow.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

I would of passed on Prior too.

I also don't rate Napa as much as some. I think his best position is off the bench. On a reduced contract I wouldn't mind keeping him post 2021. Will obviously also depend on his form.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Matt Prior is meh. I would rather have Luke Thompson, Toomanga, Ogden or Jai Arrow.
I think we're dreaming throwing Arrow's name around unfortunately, too expensive. I'd love to be wrong but I can only assume from how our recruitment so far is going that we won't go in for him. One of the best Prop's in the game tho. Was terrific for QLD in SOO and is always consistent in a Wooden Spoon side. Ogden's fallen in the pecking order for me too.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

I also don't rate Napa as much as some. I think his best position is off the bench. On a reduced contract I wouldn't mind keeping him post 2021. Will obviously also depend on his form.
His contract is close to 700K.. too much for a bench forward.. but i agree his ideal position is bench for mine...he lacks the work ethic of big metres and big mins.. can provide more impact..

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think we're dreaming throwing Arrow's name around unfortunately, too expensive. I'd love to be wrong but I can only assume from how our recruitment so far is going that we won't go in for him. One of the best Prop's in the game tho. Was terrific for QLD in SOO and is always consistent in a Wooden Spoon side. Ogden's fallen in the pecking order for me too.
Ogden is only young and will have multiple opportunities to prove himself. Thompson would be an ideal replacement for Tolman.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn’t that precisely the reason we signed Katoa from Penrif? Backup hooker for JMK?
Yep fair point i forgot about him. But im still not filled with confidence, i over look things at the minute cause i guess i can still not see any vision towards a balanced football side i guess, sighning the right caracters dont get me wrong there, all good gentleman and highly rated athletes.
Lyn is inviting the family stuff back in which is great.
I just cant see where the sighnings are coming from for 21 without it being based around inuendo and faith i guess.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Our starting props should be our bench props.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yep fair point i forgot about him. But im still not filled with confidence, i over look things at the minute cause i guess i can still not see any vision towards a balanced football side i guess, sighning the right caracters dont get me wrong there, all good gentleman and highly rated athletes.
Lyn is inviting the family stuff back in which is great.
I just cant see where the sighnings are coming from for 21 without it being based around inuendo and faith i guess.
Many share your concerns it seems.
I’m not saying they’re invalid.
I think this 1 November rule more than a year before the season in question is mis-leading. Many seem to think a whole bunch of signings should/will be announced immediately. I haven’t seen any (I think) but certainly not many announcements from any club regarding 2021 recruitments from other clubs.

I also think what makes it worse for the Dogs in 2020 is if a 2021 announcement were made today, many clubs seem happy to cut the player loose immediately and we have limited cap room for 2020 and quite likely can’t accommodate them. On that basis, you make the 2021 announcement later.

The other thing is that mid-season transfers are becoming more common. Better than average chance that players will become available in 2020 that aren’t currently on the market.

Finally - we will undoubtedly let a bunch of players go at the end of 2020, open spots for 2021. Whilst some of those names may have already been decided, several are probably not and are waiting on 2020 performances to decide. Many will be playing for a contract in 2020 - let’s not jump the gun and see how they go...

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many share your concerns it seems.
I’m not saying they’re invalid.
I think this 1 November rule more than a year before the season in question is mis-leading. Many seem to think a whole bunch of signings should/will be announced immediately. I haven’t seen any (I think) but certainly not many announcements from any club regarding 2021 recruitments from other clubs.

I also think what makes it worse for the Dogs in 2020 is if a 2021 announcement were made today, many clubs seem happy to cut the player loose immediately and we have limited cap room for 2020 and quite likely can’t accommodate them. On that basis, you make the 2021 announcement later.

The other thing is that mid-season transfers are becoming more common. Better than average chance that players will become available in 2020 that aren’t currently on the market.

Finally - we will undoubtedly let a bunch of players go at the end of 2020, open spots for 2021. Whilst some of those names may have already been decided, several are probably not and are waiting on 2020 performances to decide. Many will be playing for a contract in 2020 - let’s not jump the gun and see how they go...
Yep true. Alot of short contracts, they will have to perform. U fill with a little faith again dinkum dog.
If deano can get them winning early, it will go along way for 60 percent of people, and the careers of some those lads.
League will always be a revolving door though, i just hope they get it a bit bloody right for all of us sakes

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bullfrog was a bulldog because u didnt fuck with him.
From a far without knowing the inside works.
Lyn looks a poodle in the league world only got enough bulldog left to catch a few blood worms.
Harsh yes, cruel yes, probably right......yes.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yep true. Alot of short contracts, they will have to perform. U fill with a little faith again dinkum dog.
If deano can get them winning early, it will go along way for 60 percent of people, and the careers of some those lads.
League will always be a revolving door though, i just hope they get it a bit bloody right for all of us sakes
After this turmoil filled time, as much as I love this club and have for more than 40 years, I’ve just had to take the emotion out of it and look at it from a business perspective. I think the Directors have done the same. There is a plan and we will see it make sense and take shape in the coming months.

Meanwhile, our squad hopefully is better for our 2019 experience to click it up a gear in 2020 and push for the 8.

My glass remains half full.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wish he signed Kurt capewell from the shonks to play left centre
He’s got slick footwork, tough, good defence and can play a number of positions

acquisitions like that would no doubt boost our squad.
Jai arrow isn’t worth anymore than 650-700k
If he’s looking at the 900k mark than he can stay at the wooden spooners

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wish he signed Kurt capewell from the shonks to play left centre
He’s got slick footwork, tough, good defence and can play a number of positions

acquisitions like that would no doubt boost our squad.
Jai arrow isn’t worth anymore than 650-700k
If he’s looking at the 900k mark than he can stay at the wooden spooners
agreed. he would have been astute signing
look at this rig

amazing