Movie Discussion

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Tarantino movies aren't for everyone, but this film was pretty much bang on for him. So far the best film i've seen this year (notwithstanding I don't get to the movies much these days). The end was brilliant, although it requires a bit of knowledge of the Sharon Tate murders to get it in full. I still chuckle thinking of the Bruce Lee fight scene - I can picture Lee as a bit of a wanker :grinning:

Viva la difference!
Some Tarantino movies are good. But I find that some of them seem like violence for the sake of violence. The main issue I have with this one is making a happy ending out of the Manson murders with the whole hero American idea. It is pretty much on par for Tarantino though. I'd probably have had no issues with it if he hadn't tried to tie it into historical events.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Some Tarantino movies are good. But I find that some of them seem like violence for the sake of violence. The main issue I have with this one is making a happy ending out of the Manson murders with the whole hero American idea. It is pretty much on par for Tarantino though. I'd probably have had no issues with it if he hadn't tried to tie it into historical events.
Wasn't exactly a "happy ending" as such with the flamethrower and all...

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Vendetta

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3746298/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl

A detective pushed beyond his limits will stop at nothing for vengeance. When his wife is killed by a criminal that he put away, Mason, a hard-nosed detective, deliberately gets arrested in order to get revenge. While inside, Mason discovers a new criminal enterprise that those behind it would kill to protect.

This movie is ok at the beginning, but the main problem is that it's too repetitive afterwards. People on the inside get killed. The the main character gets beat up. More killings. More beat-ups - it's too repetitive. Nothing really changes .

5/10.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
unnamed.jpg

A couple travel to Sweden to visit their friend's rural hometown for its fabled midsummer festival, but what begins as an idyllic retreat quickly devolves into an increasingly violent and bizarre competition at the hands of a pagan cult.

For the opening 90 minutes I was quite intrigued with the story, but the final act fell apart imo. Beautiful cinematography and use of panning shots were by far the best thing about it. This isn't really a "horror" film in the traditional sense, more like an unsettling drama than anything - ultimately I found it to be a wicker man knockoff but not executed near as well

3/5

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
unnamed.jpg

Actor Rick Dalton gained fame and fortune by starring in a 1950s television Western, but is now struggling to find meaningful work in a Hollywood that he doesn't recognize anymore. He spends most of his time drinking and palling around with Cliff Booth, his easygoing best friend and longtime stunt double. Rick also happens to live next door to Roman Polanski and Sharon Tate -- the filmmaker and budding actress whose futures will forever be altered by members of the Manson Family.

Where to begin with this one.

Appropriately titled tarantino's magnum opus, and for very good reason. Littered with hundreds of easter eggs, nods to classic spaghetti westerns as well as films from the 60's, along with the outstanding soundtrack, chemistry of Dicaprio and Pitt, masterful direction, cinematography and writing (and the coolest dog in any movie ever) make this the best film I've seen this year. It really could have done without the manson family subplot but in saying that, each scene blends in perfectly with the last and sets up the next. A film within a film structure was the perfect way to handle an epic like this. Outstanding work to everyone involved. A love song saying goodbye to the old Hollywood and reluctantly embracing the new.

5/5

Last edited:

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
unnamed.jpg

Melinda is a lonely and unstable gas-station attendant who's tired of being overshadowed by her more confident and outgoing co-worker. When a robber holds up the station at gunpoint, Melinda tries to make a connection with the desperate thief.

Take your pick about what's wrong with this movie. Plot holes galore, laughable storyline, annoying lead character and the nonsensical decisions she made - it's got it all. I actually burst out laughing at one of the called "tense" scenes. With a runtime of just over 80 minutes it seemed to drag on forever. To its credit though the acting was decent, that's the only positive thing I can say about this steaming pile of cow dung.

1/5

Wahesh

Reaction score
View attachment 12117
Melinda is a lonely and unstable gas-station attendant who's tired of being overshadowed by her more confident and outgoing co-worker. When a robber holds up the station at gunpoint, Melinda tries to make a connection with the desperate thief.

Take your pick about what's wrong with this movie. Plot holes galore, laughable storyline, annoying lead character and the nonsensical decisions she made - it's got it all. I actually burst out laughing at one of the called "tense" scenes. With a runtime of just over 80 minutes it seemed to drag on forever. To its credit though the acting was decent, that's the only positive thing I can say about this steaming pile of cow dung.

1/5
DAMMIT. Why can't this one be on Netflix? I seem to like B-Grade movies like this. How did you manage to watch it? I want to see it now lol.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
DAMMIT. Why can't this one be on Netflix? I seem to like B-Grade movies like this. How did you manage to watch it? I want to see it now lol.
Man, take my word on it when I say you're really not missing much if you don't watch it. I got suckered in because it looked good, but when the primary way of every movie I watch is though the big T, you sometimes get a big stinker (which is the case a lot of the time when I use a particular site)

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking forward to Knives Out although it appears to be like that How to Host Murder game that was out years ago.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Looking forward to Knives Out although it appears to be like that How to Host Murder game that was out years ago.
It does look like an old school Whodunnit in the form of Poirot or Miss Marple.

I'm thinking of seeing it next week.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It does look like an old school Whodunnit in the form of Poirot or Miss Marple.

I'm thinking of seeing it next week.
Ditto. It's getting rave reviews, but that doesn't mean much, but I do like the look of the cast.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Ford v Ferrari.

Pros:
Ken Miles was the racer's racer, and an interesting, if prickly, guy. Almost unheard of outside the UK, its great to hear this part of his story told.
Damon/Bale - Their on screen chemistry is on par with Pitt/di Caprio in Once Upon a Time. They fit their roles perfectly (notwithstanding the criticism of Bale's Brummie accent).
Cinematography - Shot and directed really well.

Cons:
Almost descended into an "America fuck yeah!" narrative at times, but with a Brit at the centre character, it stopped short thankfully.
Story of "underdogs v big corporate" has been done so many times before (but it was indeed true in this story).

There was also some criticism that in a 2.5 hr movie, there is too much motor racing (yes, in a movie literally about winning Le Mans) for audiences who may not be fans. I asked Mrs CD, a woman with zero interest in motor sport about it, and she had no issues. She likes Bale (who doesn't really), and this is why she agreed to come see it. Actually it was good in a way for her to not know the background as she didn't know how the movie would end, whereas I did.

Overall, It was really well done, and was actually a bit better than my expectations. Going for 8/10.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
My wife's cousin just bought his wife a Ferrari for a wedding present, so it will be "SS v Ferrari" soon.

I feel sorry for him already, a tough Aussie sedan demolishing a Euro Supercar lol

It will be at Eastern Creek, I'll get one of habbibs to record it and I'll post it on here lol

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ford v Ferrari.

Pros:
Ken Miles was the racer's racer, and an interesting, if prickly, guy. Almost unheard of outside the UK, its great to hear this part of his story told.
Damon/Bale - Their on screen chemistry is on par with Pitt/di Caprio in Once Upon a Time. They fit their roles perfectly (notwithstanding the criticism of Bale's Brummie accent).
Cinematography - Shot and directed really well.

Cons:
Almost descended into an "America fuck yeah!" narrative at times, but with a Brit at the centre character, it stopped short thankfully.
Story of "underdogs v big corporate" has been done so many times before (but it was indeed true in this story).

There was also some criticism that in a 2.5 hr movie, there is too much motor racing (yes, in a movie literally about winning Le Mans) for audiences who may not be fans. I asked Mrs CD, a woman with zero interest in motor sport about it, and she had no issues. She likes Bale (who doesn't really), and this is why she agreed to come see it. Actually it was good in a way for her to not know the background as she didn't know how the movie would end, whereas I did.

Overall, It was really well done, and was actually a bit better than my expectations. Going for 8/10.
Most of the criticism is that it’s too much of a straight white male movie. Not enough female empowerment and diversity. What a shame. This movie won’t make enough money to make even like Charlie angels will.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of the criticism is that it’s too much of a straight white male movie. Not enough female empowerment and diversity. What a shame. This movie won’t make enough money to make even like Charlie angels will.
Maybe they should've added a trans prius driving vegan to appease current audiences. I know prius's weren't around back then, but who cares, just tick those pc/diversity boxes anyway you can. Hell, why not change Matt Damon's character to Lara Croft or something.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maybe they should've added a trans prius driving vegan to appease current audiences. I know prius's weren't around back then, but who cares, just tick those pc/diversity boxes anyway you can. Hell, why not change Matt Damon's character to Lara Croft or something.
What’s crazy is, it’s completely believable that they’d change it to a vegan racing in a Prius featuring Lara Croft beating all the men in the toxic masculine petrol cars lol

Wahesh

Reaction score
Awake

upload_2019-12-2_8-3-1.png

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7584702/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

A man wakes in a hospital bed with no recollection of who he is, and learns that he's wanted by the police for a committing a series of murders.

The movie has a few twists and turns in it which I enjoy. You actually wonder how a lot of the events in this movie come to be. Francesca Eastwood was brilliant in this movie. Recommend it for anyone looking to kill some time.

7.5/10.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Blockers

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2531344/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Three parents try to stop their daughters from losing their virginity on prom night.

If the movie poster doesn't give it away, the acting sure does. This movie blows. The girls in the movie are hideously ugly, you think them losing their virginity on the night of the prom would be a mission. In fact the only one who's half decent looking turns out to be a lesbian in this movie. Can't unrecommend this movie enough.

2/10 (and that's being generous).

Wahesh

Reaction score
The Knight Before Christmas

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10060094/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

A medieval English knight is magically transported to the present day where he falls for a high school science teacher who is disillusioned by love.

This is your typical time-traveler-who-struggles-to-adapt-to-modern-life movie, except it's set around Christmas time, and has a romance thrown into the mix. Entertaining for a one-off, but not much more than that.

6/10.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
@Hacky McAxe As I’ve got the Disney+ at the moment and I’m going to embark on the Machete approach to watching Star Wars..

A New Hope, then The Empire Strikes Back, and then … when you find out Darth Vader is Luke’s father, you go back and watch Episodes II and III, (Like a big flashback scene) and after you watch Revenge of the Sith, you watch Return of the Jedi..

Yes you miss The Phantom Menace which means you miss the excellent Darth Maul..but the bonus is you miss Jar Jar..although he is in Attack of the Clones..its not much screen time.

oh there is a modified version of this..where Solo and Rogue is popped it..which both I enjoyed more than the new saga.. Anyway should be interesting!