Official Latrell Mitchell to Souths

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You lot make me laugh ...

Mitchell was odds on to come to us. That was all the talk. 1 million a year. However, when it became clear he was playing the field against each other and not willing to fully commit we walked away. Most of you claimed incompetance in our recruitment talks. We're useless. We should've wrapped him up immediately. Why would we walk away? etc. etc. etc.

Rorters pulled out. Tigers. Souths (apparently). North Queensland. Seemingly the Titans are the only ones still in the race out of all the clubs ... and what an example of player recruitment they are! Yet, you'll all slag off the club for not signing him up sooner. For not having him in the Blue & White at any cost. You applauded the Rorters for being smart enough to back out of any potential deal with him but at the same time slag us off.

Maybe it's best to listen to all of those recruitment teams that walked away. Maybe they realise that offering more money isn't enough when his heart isn't set on it. Maybe they see he's already got his mind set on one club (Souths imo) and they're not going to be used to bump up the contract offer from that said club.

The guy is a great player, with unlimited potential. But if you're going to be paying that much you want his head to be screwed on. Judging by the amount of clubs that have apparently walked away I think it's fair to say that there are deeper issues here at play ...

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You lot make me laugh ...

Mitchell was odds on to come to us. That was all the talk. 1 million a year. However, when it became clear he was playing the field against each other and not willing to fully commit we walked away. Most of you claimed incompetance in our recruitment talks. We're useless. We should've wrapped him up immediately. Why would we walk away? etc. etc. etc.

Rorters pulled out. Tigers. Souths (apparently). North Queensland. Seemingly the Titans are the only ones still in the race out of all the clubs ... and what an example of player recruitment they are! Yet, you'll all slag off the club for not signing him up sooner. For not having him in the Blue & White at any cost. You applauded the Rorters for being smart enough to back out of any potential deal with him but at the same time slag us off.

Maybe it's best to listen to all of those recruitment teams that walked away. Maybe they realise that offering more money isn't enough when his heart isn't set on it. Maybe they see he's already got his mind set on one club (Souths imo) and they're not going to be used to bump up the contract offer from that said club.

The guy is a great player, with unlimited potential. But if you're going to be paying that much you want his head to be screwed on. Judging by the amount of clubs that have apparently walked away I think it's fair to say that there are deeper issues here at play ...
Well said you scouser prick

Banned
Reaction score
What gets me, is usually clubs will play the game, in order to inflate a players price.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
So has he signed with South's yet? We all know he will end up there....

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
They may not be able to afford to now they re-signed Cody Walker and are still wanting Jai Arrow. I posted an article in the other Latrell thread about it.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
They may not be able to afford to now they re-signed Cody Walker and are still wanting Jai Arrow. I posted an article in the other Latrell thread about it.
Except every team except us seems to have endless room in their salary cap to just keep signing players

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Canterbury need to go into the market hard and Ponga should be a key signing

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Canterbury need to go into the market hard and Ponga should be a key signing
What makes Ponga the one to bring in for 1-1.3m over the other players we've passed (or missed out) on? From everything we've seen this transfer window we're not going down that path. I also doubt DWZ is moving from Fullback (even if there is a better option available).

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Is this **** still alive?

I wouldn't sign him even if he pays us. Another Hayne.

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I thought he was going to join them as soon as they freed up the Burgess money. But if he showed the bunnies that he was pretty keen to head over there it's entirely possible that they might use it to their advantage. The fact that so many clubs have backed off removes a lot of his bargaining power.

And I think that Bennett at this stage knows that despite having a huge amount of hype, that Mitchell isn't head and shoulders better than a large number of other players.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I thought he was going to join them as soon as they freed up the Burgess money. But if he showed the bunnies that he was pretty keen to head over there it's entirely possible that they might use it to their advantage. The fact that so many clubs have backed off removes a lot of his bargaining power.

And I think that Bennett at this stage knows that despite having a huge amount of hype, that Mitchell isn't head and shoulders better than a large number of other players.
Yes, it would seem that this is what's happening.

Mitchell and his management have tried to be smart here and the Rorters, then the Dogs started a long line of clubs saying f*?k you we're not playing your game.

Will he bounce back from all of this? Time will tell, but I don't think it's that simple for him just to start playing football again like this whole circus meant nothing.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yes, it would seem that this is what's happening.

Mitchell and his management have tried to be smart here and the Rorters, then the Dogs started a long line of clubs saying f*?k you we're not playing your game.

Will he bounce back from all of this? Time will tell, but I don't think it's that simple for him just to start playing football again like this whole circus meant nothing.
It would seem that the era of union clubs scalping the flavours of the month NRL players is also finished or no doubt LM's management would have been publicly spruiking interest from them too.

I've got no idea where he'll wind up. Someone will give him a contract. But I doubt he's going to be getting a seven figure sum.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Geez I don’t want to see us against him then.
Lewis took him out in the first 15 in one game and other than that we've handled him pretty well. A good highlight reel is one thing but I've barely noticed the guy against the good defensive teams

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mitchell isn't back from his break til Jan 6th so no club wants to sign him any earlier and be paying him for doing nothing. In the meantime the roosters are paying him approx. $70k per month. So by the time he comes back the roosters have forked out (for arguments sake) $100-150k so therefore a club can sign him for the first year much less than his asking price, not forgetting what the roosters will also pay as part of his 2020 contract. I reckon the team that signs Mitchell will probably only have to pay approx. $500k for the first year off their cap.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Latrell is a 600k a year player. He has lots of baggage and is high maintenance. He doesn't have unlimited potential because he borders on being obese as far as nrl fitness standards go. Wouldn't be interested at the money his manager is sprouting.