Desperate bulldogs to scour the globe for talent

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
The massive one is having merchandise and jerseys available for Xmas. They would have held off with most of it in the hope of releasing it with a major sponsor on it.
I agree completely with your last point and I'm confident they will get a major sponsor sorted but I just can't see much merit in not telling anyone for a few months if they have secured one.
The board will still get credit if they announce it tomorrow or in Feb.
That's fair - I didn't think about Christmas.
I'm more concerned with feeling pity for anyone who unwraps an Eels jersey - poor bastards!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
That was my reasoning as well.

Lots of fans by merchandise for xmas gifts. The first jersey without the red Kia signage would be a popular present.

If they have a major sponsor and holding off annoucing till the election, I'd say that is not in the best interests of the club and it's finances.

Can't see that. They know they'll get everyone off their back for a while longer by announcing a feel good sponsorship asap. Even more so than the Adam Elliott or Montoya re-signings :grinning:
Fair comment mate - but as for everyone off their back - would never happen - some people just have to be angry about something - like - all the time!

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read an article (can't remember where) that gave the impression that the club is looking to completely change our roster for 2022 (not 2021) and all the recent extensions til the end of 2021 (besides DWZ) do fit in with such a plan. For 2022 maybe their going to wield a massive axe shedding anyone whose underperforming to replace them with fresh talent from other clubs. Wouldn't surprise me if they're planning on targeting spine players like Tedesco, Keary and Munster who I think come up for review for 2022 IF their current clubs don't re-sign them before then (and that's a big IF).

After Deano came out and publicly declared his interest in Ramien, Ese'ese and Api earlier this year then we failed to get any of them you can understand why the board would now be secretive in keeping interest in certain players to themselves.

The thing is a lot of fans are getting frustrated because they can't see the board doing anything to bring in fresh talent for next year or 2021 (when we were supposed to have decent funds available) and if enough members feel the same by election time early next year the current board might not get to see out their long term plan

Last edited:

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
We released woods, he signed a completely new contract with the sharks. we aren’t paying for mbye anymore, that finished this season, was for 2018 and 2019.
And foran....... well yeh... foran lol...
I thought we paid a year or two for Woods. Regardless, not a few years ago :grinning:

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember this headline, it was last year. It was one of these “open letters” about the bulldogs plans moving forward.

“UNABLE to sign a marquee player for the next two to three seasons due to their salary cap debacle, Canterbury will embark on a worldwide hunt for the most promising juniors playing rugby league and rugby union”

I can recall the article about the dogs looking at starting nurseries in Fiji, png, and looking for the best up and coming talent overseas..

well let’s fast forward 18months now.

we’ve been in png for 8yrs, and all we do is community service work, YAY!! And all we got to show for it was a dud named rhys Martin, yet Souths sign gebbie, and manly sign their best hooker in png who anihilated Great Britain.

start a junior nursery in Fiji ay? Well it looks like we won’t be doing that either! As sharks just signed up with the Fijian silktails who will now be a feeder club to the sharks from the nsw cup.

before the usual call me a board basher, i have never gone on the kennel and criticised the board about not signing big name players, they keep referring to 2021, ok if that’s what they say... I will give them that much.

The “open letter” from Lynne was disgusting, our board is outdated and still stuck in the 1990s, with lines of “we want players with bulldogs identity”
“We wasn’t hard working players”
“We are a family club and will support foran”

So far all I have seen from our club representatives is a small club mentality.

our recent player retention is quite embarrassing...

to resign Chris smith, Lachlan Lewis, Renouf Toumaga, Marcelo montoya, Adam idiot (watch this space, he’s next) aiden tolman.... yes aiden tolman...

I asked someone close to the club this question yesterday... 2021 is meant to be our season to spend yes, and his response was yes, my next question was well what’s with all the one year extensions to players that many clubs would deem surplus to requirements... to my surprise he had no convincing answer... quite alarming.

St George are advertising in the leader for a new ceo, I found that amusing until I recalled that our club can’t even scoop up a major sponsor and is using linked In, I though Andrew hill had all the contacts...

forget 2021 and major signings, there is so much more that I believe needs to be answered for, and all we get as fans is a cheap corny letter from Lynne spilling garbage from the beginning of 2017 again...

Tfehhh
About time you realized the truth and see through the bullshit

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
About time you realized the truth and see through the bullshit
What is Bulldogs identity?..

DWZ is a great addition to our squad.. is he Bulldogs identity even thoigh hes played his whole NRL Career at Penrith and been only here 6months..

Is Brett Morris Roosters identity.. even hes been at the Roosters only one season but did very well on the wing in the GF to help them win..

Was Ben Barba Bulldogs identity when he won the Dally M before losing the plot..

The list can go on and on at every club..

I think most clubs have onlyna few players that can be identified with only that one club..

Eg C. Smith at Storm, Torbos and Cherry at Manly, Sutton at souths etc

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What is Bulldogs identity?..

DWZ is a great addition to our squad.. is he Bulldogs identity even thoigh hes played his whole NRL Career at Penrith and been only here 6months..

Is Brett Morris Roosters identity.. even hes been at the Roosters only one season but did very well on the wing in the GF to help them win..

Was Ben Barba Bulldogs identity when he won the Dally M before losing the plot..

The list can go on and on at every club..

I think most clubs have onlyna few players that can be identified with only that one club..

Eg C. Smith at Storm, Torbos and Cherry at Manly, Sutton at souths etc

Thats a great post. But I dont think Bulldogs identity is about being a one club dyed in the wool Bulldog who came up thru our juniors and has some kind of distant blood relationship to a Lamb, Mortimer, Hughes, Anderson, Folkes etc. (sorry for you younger guys Sherwin, Elmasri, Steve Price etc.).

Its about buying into "it" while they are here and wear our colours and club emblem and call themselves a Bulldog.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Thats a great post. But I dont think Bulldogs identity is about being a one club dyed in the wool Bulldog who came up thru our juniors and has some kind of distant blood relationship to a Lamb, Mortimer, Hughes, Anderson, Folkes etc. (sorry for you younger guys Sherwin, Elmasri, Steve Price etc.).

Its about buying into "it" while they are here and wear our colours and club emblem and call themselves a Bulldog.
And that is an equally great post! I think that sums it up well - buying into the mission.
It's more than money, it's the 'Quan' - Jerry Maguire style:

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
To me the board is over cautious hence no marquee signings. I know there's disappointment such as not sealing the deal with LM.
But you need to see the risk factor the tigers are engaged in.
They've offered the guy the money he wants. Released two players to create the money. Offered him his preferred fullback position. And to this day still not signed. Yet he's now linked to the cowboys with Valentine to play fullback . Go figure!
I'm of the opinion the club is extending players till 2021 to see if the young guys progress. And maybe they see better rival contracted players for the following year as a better fit for our needs. If we unearth in the process a few good players currently in our system then we're laughing. If not then we at least can bring in players without juggling or over thinking the salary cap.
Well said. This I agree with.