Desperate bulldogs to scour the globe for talent

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember this headline, it was last year. It was one of these “open letters” about the bulldogs plans moving forward.

“UNABLE to sign a marquee player for the next two to three seasons due to their salary cap debacle, Canterbury will embark on a worldwide hunt for the most promising juniors playing rugby league and rugby union”

I can recall the article about the dogs looking at starting nurseries in Fiji, png, and looking for the best up and coming talent overseas..

well let’s fast forward 18months now.

we’ve been in png for 8yrs, and all we do is community service work, YAY!! And all we got to show for it was a dud named rhys Martin, yet Souths sign gebbie, and manly sign their best hooker in png who anihilated Great Britain.

start a junior nursery in Fiji ay? Well it looks like we won’t be doing that either! As sharks just signed up with the Fijian silktails who will now be a feeder club to the sharks from the nsw cup.

before the usual call me a board basher, i have never gone on the kennel and criticised the board about not signing big name players, they keep referring to 2021, ok if that’s what they say... I will give them that much.

The “open letter” from Lynne was disgusting, our board is outdated and still stuck in the 1990s, with lines of “we want players with bulldogs identity”
“We wasn’t hard working players”
“We are a family club and will support foran”

So far all I have seen from our club representatives is a small club mentality.

our recent player retention is quite embarrassing...

to resign Chris smith, Lachlan Lewis, Renouf Toumaga, Marcelo montoya, Adam idiot (watch this space, he’s next) aiden tolman.... yes aiden tolman...

I asked someone close to the club this question yesterday... 2021 is meant to be our season to spend yes, and his response was yes, my next question was well what’s with all the one year extensions to players that many clubs would deem surplus to requirements... to my surprise he had no convincing answer... quite alarming.

St George are advertising in the leader for a new ceo, I found that amusing until I recalled that our club can’t even scoop up a major sponsor and is using linked In, I though Andrew hill had all the contacts...

forget 2021 and major signings, there is so much more that I believe needs to be answered for, and all we get as fans is a cheap corny letter from Lynne spilling garbage from the beginning of 2017 again...

Tfehhh

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
You don't really think we re-signed Montoya do you...........

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I remember this headline, it was last year. It was one of these “open letters” about the bulldogs plans moving forward.

“UNABLE to sign a marquee player for the next two to three seasons due to their salary cap debacle, Canterbury will embark on a worldwide hunt for the most promising juniors playing rugby league and rugby union”

I can recall the article about the dogs looking at starting nurseries in Fiji, png, and looking for the best up and coming talent overseas..

we’ve been in png for 8yrs, and all we do is community service work, YAY!! And all we got to show for it was a dud named rhys Martin, yet Souths sign gebbie, and manly sign their best hooker in png who anihilated Great Britain.

start a junior nursery in Fiji ay? Well it looks like we won’t be doing that either! As sharks just signed up with the Fijian silktails who will now be a feeder club to the sharks from the nsw cup.

before the usual call me a board basher, i have never gone on the kennel and criticised the board about not signing big name players, they keep referring to 2021, ok if that’s what they say... I will give them that much.

The “open letter” from Lynne was disgusting, our board is outdated and still stuck in the 1990s, with lines of “we want players with bulldogs identity”

to resign Chris smith, Lachlan Lewis, Renouf Toumaga, Marcelo montoya, Adam idiot (watch this space, he’s next) aiden tolman.... yes aiden tolman...

I asked someone close to the club this question yesterday... 2021 is meant to be our season to spend yes, and his response was yes, my next question was well what’s with all the one year extensions to players that many clubs would deem surplus to requirements... to my surprise he had no convincing answer... quite alarming.

St George are advertising in the leader for a new ceo, I found that amusing until I recalled that our club can’t even scoop up a major sponsor and is using linked In, I though Andrew hill had all the contacts...

forget 2021 and major signings, there is so much more that I believe needs to be answered for, and all we get as fans is a cheap corny letter from Lynne spilling garbage from the beginning of 2017 again...

Tfehhh
Are you a voting member?
If so you have your chance to instigate change in February.
If not you can lobby voting members once the candidates seeking board seats are declared.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Tfehhh
Oh fmd. Montoya, Elliot, Tolman being resigned.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its a new role for Lynne.. she has no prior experience running a football club as chairman..

Chris Anderson was meant to be the big ticket item and leading the club forward and now he has gone..

The football club operation isnt running smooth at moment.. But Lynne has said this publicly already..

At the start of 2018 we had a Rookie coach, rookie players, rookie board.. Thats always going to take time..

Now the question is: how long a time will it take and how patient will our fans be..

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Don’t worry guys. We will have a major sponsor floating around on our jersey

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me the board is over cautious hence no marquee signings. I know there's disappointment such as not sealing the deal with LM.
But you need to see the risk factor the tigers are engaged in.
They've offered the guy the money he wants. Released two players to create the money. Offered him his preferred fullback position. And to this day still not signed. Yet he's now linked to the cowboys with Valentine to play fullback . Go figure!
I'm of the opinion the club is extending players till 2021 to see if the young guys progress. And maybe they see better rival contracted players for the following year as a better fit for our needs. If we unearth in the process a few good players currently in our system then we're laughing. If not then we at least can bring in players without juggling or over thinking the salary cap.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
To me the board is over cautious hence no marquee signings. I know there's disappointment such as not sealing the deal with LM.
But you need to see the risk factor the tigers are engaged in.
They've offered the guy the money he wants. Released two players to create the money. Offered him his preferred fullback position. And to this day still not signed. Yet he's now linked to the cowboys with Valentine to play fullback . Go figure!
I'm of the opinion the club is extending players till 2021 to see if the young guys progress. And maybe they see better rival contracted players for the following year as a better fit for our needs. If we unearth in the process a few good players currently in our system then we're laughing. If not then we at least can bring in players without juggling or over thinking the salary cap.
But Tolman, Monty and Elliot are not good though. They shouldn't be extended.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Are you a voting member?
If so you have your chance to instigate change in February.
If not you can lobby voting members once the candidates seeking board seats are declared.
Voting member? He was our last chairman! haha

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its a new role for Lynne.. she has no prior experience running a football club as chairman..

Chris Anderson was meant to be the big ticket item and leading the club forward and now he has gone..

The football club operation isnt running smooth at moment.. But Lynne has said this publicly already..

At the start of 2018 we had a Rookie coach, rookie players, rookie board.. Thats always going to take time..

Now the question is: how long a time will it take and how patient will our fans be..
Mate, Andrew hill run the rugby league World Cup, and Lynne Anderson had a significant role in the Winter Olympics I believe it was... they’re weak, that’s the issue

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
But Tolman, Monty and Elliot are not good though. They shouldn't be extended.
The club hasn’t said a word about any of them. Why the speculation? There’s simply no way all of the existing squad will be retained for 2021...

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Mate, Andrew hill run the rugby league World Cup, and Lynne Anderson had a significant role in the Winter Olympics I believe it was... they’re weak, that’s the issue
If they’re weak, how do they get those jobs? Dogs CEO had 2500 applicants!

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

Tfehhh
Wasn't the Montoya thing fake lol ???

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they’re weak, how do they get those jobs? Dogs CEO had 2500 applicants!
Well obviously not aggressive enough to ensure we got the nursery for Fiji, which they were planning on doing.

Not aggressive enough in pursuing the best readymade young talent in the game like they were planning on doing. All we got was meaney... smh

Making the club a powerhouse again, they can’t get a major sponsor after all the contacts Lynne and Andrew have with their past roles, they’ve resorted to linked in, very small club mentality way of thinking, I can understand saints doing that... BUT US!

And now chewing into our cap for 2021 with dud resignings that did not need to be made right now...

And you expect me to be confident with who they choose to go after, it’s a known fact that a few of our administrators DONT see eye to eye with a number if the top player agents... and they’re the same administrators that Lynne bragged about in her pathetic open letter..

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Believe me it’s in the works for real
Ok well hopefully he plays reserves lol. Be pissed if he starts at centre over young guns like Averillo, Schoupp or even Smith if he's keen on the move

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Well obviously not aggressive enough to ensure we got the nursery for Fiji, which they were planning on doing.

Not aggressive enough in pursuing the best readymade young talent in the game like they were planning on doing. All we got was meaney... smh

Making the club a powerhouse again, they can’t get a major sponsor after all the contacts Lynne and Andrew have with their past roles, they’ve resorted to linked in, very small club mentality way of thinking, I can understand saints doing that... BUT US!

And now chewing into our cap for 2021 with dud resignings that did not need to be made right now...

And you expect me to be confident with who they choose to go after, it’s a known fact that a few of our administrators DONT see eye to eye with a number if the top player agents... and they’re the same administrators that Lynne bragged about in her pathetic open letter..
And who's to say after a review the strategy didn't change? Remember they are not obliged to report anything publicly.
They HAVE announced tie-ups with Northern Rivers and Greater Northern Region.
Maybe they view the future as more home-grown than say the Pacific Islands.
Major sponsor could be purely timing. It's no news in late November. It's bigger news in February when everyone is getting lathered up for the new season.
I'm not saying I know or I'm right - just trying to perhaps provide some perspective...

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And who's to say after a review the strategy didn't change? Remember they are not obliged to report anything publicly.
They HAVE announced tie-ups with Northern Rivers and Greater Northern Region.
Maybe they view the future as more home-grown than say the Pacific Islands.
Major sponsor could be purely timing. It's no news in late November. It's bigger news in February when everyone is getting lathered up for the new season.
I'm not saying I know or I'm right - just trying to perhaps provide some perspective...
I get what you’re saying... everyhting I am going off was their blueprint that they advised us of leading us up until now, where we have the money for 2021... and so far I just feel they haven’t delivered... I always held of judgment based on our salary cap position but looking back on where we are and where they’ve taken us, there is a number of items that they need to address as to why that didn’t occur, otherwise it’s just empty words on letter heads.