Official Hoppa Re-signed till 2021

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Like it or not we need him. I like the 1 year deal too.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You're right. So we did better than expected. Next year is basically the same. I don't really get why we'd go through another year of pain (2021) when our salary cap mess is sorted.
We're still building... Cap is almost sorted but we have to give everyone with the potential to lock down a spot, cheaper to breed them than to buy them.

When we have most of the squad locked up on average cash then we can go shopping knowing exactly what to buy.

2 more years and we are title contenders again.

Until then enjoy the theatre of being an underdog and causing some headaches for the bookies.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We're still building... Cap is almost sorted but we have to give everyone with the potential to lock down a spot, cheaper to breed them than to buy them.

When we have most of the squad locked up on average cash then we can go shopping knowing exactly what to buy.

2 more years and we are title contenders again.

Until then enjoy the theatre of being an underdog and causing some headaches for the bookies.
Do we really need another year to know what we need to buy/bring in? The last two years is what that was for.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hoppa has been getting better each year with us and his running metres, line breaks and tackle busts numbers last season were insane. Plus he has some of the quickest hands out of any centre in the comp.

I'm glad he's locked in for another year and I'm glad it wasn't any longer so it keeps cap flexibility for 2022 and keeps Hoppa hungry to prove himself.
Seems to have overcome his reluctance to play on Sundays, too.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
These signings tell me that the board will not be re-signing Pay, and whoever comes in to replace him will have first pick with recruitment
Yeah that could be the reason also. He only signed an extension for 2020 though didn’t he?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah that could be the reason also. He only signed an extension for 2020 though didn’t he?
Correct. Pay is currently only signed until the end of 2020. I reckon the first 8 games of 2020 will pretty much determine his future beyond that. I get the feeling both he and the club would like his tenure to be longer, but the results will need to justify any such decision.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Do we really need another year to know what we need to buy/bring in? The last two years is what that was for.
I totally agree.. problem is it's been a slow process with the cap plus we have the juniors really in line to step up now and others coming through. It's shit house we have to wait but with all that taken into consideration we haven't had a decent chance to get a roll on until 2020.

I'm sure we will get signings along the way like Dwz and the likes but without a doubt patience is key if we really want to do this properly.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
2019 was really only the beginning of that. 2018 was a total shit-show, very disruptive with players leaving mid-season and/or unhappy and left end of season - so I don't think we can count 2018.

I see the big difference between 2019 and 2020 is that at the beginning of 2019 we had a few relatively inexperienced players in key positions who by the end of the season had 25 games under their belt. When DWZ was added it gave us additional experience and some spark. By the end of 2019 we were a positive and committed squad playing for each other and 7 wins in the last 10 games proves that.

The trick will be continuing that momentum into 2020 and then being clear about who doesn't get renewed at the end of 2020 and who comes in for 2021.
I reckon some of that work has already been done - some of it still a work in progress.
Overall, I expect (and hope) for a much improved 2020 over 2019.
I also think Foran's injury may be a blessing in disguise in some ways (obviously not for the cap) - but for stability and combination building in the halves.

Last edited:

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good signing which means Hoppa is with us for 2 more years. I reckon that's enough for now though. There's a bit of risk in all the one year extensions to the end of '21, but the Dogs obviously want to be big in the player market in both '21 and '22, and give time to see which youngsters step up. The short extensions shows some belief in young players but won't let them get too comfortable. Hoppa is a bit different and I'm a bit surprised he didn't extend further, but 2 more years is still a fair while.

I like the strategy. The only 3 players we've got signed for '22 are quality (CHN, DWZ and Stimson) and we can make sure other players added to that list are a similar quality at least. I expect Jacko will sign for more than one extra year.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Maybe we have these 1 year extensions whilst altering current contracts to free up some money for next year.....

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
There is a lot of backhanded compliments coming Hopoate’s way in this thread!!
Wasn’t he the the club’s player of the year for 2019?
Didn’t he play every minute of every game in 2019?
I’ll be fucked if I know what the bloke has to do??? Yet many on here walk around with hard-ons for players who have not even played 1st grade.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There is a lot of backhanded compliments coming Hopoate’s way in this thread!!
Wasn’t he the the club’s player of the year for 2019?
Didn’t he play every minute of every game in 2019?
I’ll be fucked if I know what the bloke has to do??? Yet many on here walk around with hard-ons for players who have not even played 1st grade.
I can't comment on our juniors/Canterbury cup players seeing i haven't seen much of them play, but always been a fan of Hoppa.
He can't win either way with some people though. Just needs to keep doing what he's doing and I'll be happy with his input