Aiden Seizer

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Our current x3 halves all have question marks on them. Sezer doesn’t. Sezer is a known quantity coming off the back of grand final experience. He kicks very well in general play can goal kick and has a decent passing game and NRL experience. The halves is the most crucial position on the field and we have lost Foran for the season. A Sezer signing makes sense. He could teach our young halves a bit too
It all depends on the bigger picture and what are the club's plans.
Is Sezer the answer to our halves problems knowing that he has been nothing more than average at every club he has been to...
Why did Canberra replace him ???

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Signing stinks of holding back our young guys. Forans injury is a blessing considering we need to give the young ones plenty of footy before 2022.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
It depends what he’s asking.
If it’s true we have to use the 350k compensation from Foran on buying a half we’d be crazy not to use it

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
One good thing about signing Sezer would be that he can't play against us anymore he always pulls out a blinder when we play.
True. I was at Belmore in 2018 when Canberra ran us down and Sezer played a big part in that. It sucked to watch, especially when Leilua scored the match winner and gave a gobful to the Morris boys who missed the tackle. Ouch.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Is Sezer the answer to our halves problems knowing that he has been nothing more than average at every club he has been to...
Agree. But I think Canberra won't be better for letting him go... Williams is ok but both he and Wighton play similar and prefer left edge.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It depends what he’s asking.
If it’s true we have to use the 350k compensation from Foran on buying a half we’d be crazy not to use it
Crazy but surely we can find a centre that can play in the Halves Instead.. wink wink.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Crazy but surely we can find a centre that can play in the Halves Instead.. wink wink.
Let’s hope so and half the price of Latrell

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well.when you add up the contracts of Montoya,Holland and Crichton absolute deadwoods ...there is your million dollars for a marquee or a big chunk of it anyway
Let’s hope so and half the price of Latrell

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would prefer Sezer on one year as a stop gap for Foran and see which young half steps up. But realistically that won’t happen when Sezer has a 3 year deal waiting in England. I’m just not confident we can go close to a premiership this year with our young and inexperienced halves.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Well.when you add up the contracts of Montoya,Holland and Crichton absolute deadwoods ...there is your million dollars for a marquee or a big chunk of it anyway
As long as we aren’t short of backup if injuries occur

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Not when their spot in the top 30 has to be filled by a minimum wage player (can't remember what the base limit is) this shackles alot of teams, especially when paying other players to play elsewhere

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Not when their spot in the top 30 has to be filled by a minimum wage player (can't remember what the base limit is) this shackles alot of teams, especially when paying other players to play elsewhere
Minimum wage was $55k PA - it might be going up for 2020. I agree re: shackles - it's not as easy to manage a cap as some think.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Minimum wage was $55k PA - it might be going up for 2020. I agree re: shackles - it's not as easy to manage a cap as some think.
Really? I thought the minimum wage for Top 30 players was somewhere around the 100K-115K mark

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I did find this below. One point to remember is that if we shop the mentioned players around we’d no doubt have to pay part of their contracts which further reduces what we’d have to spend

2018 Min. Top 30 fee of $100,000 for players 1-26 in 2018 increasing at $5,000 p.a until 2022

2018 $70,000 for players 27-30 in 2018 increasing at $2,500 p.a until 2022

2018 Replacement of the NRL second tier with the NRL Development List where players will be entitled to $60,000 p.a.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Really? I thought the minimum wage for Top 30 players was somewhere around the 100K-115K mark
You're right - I screwed up, looking at old data. There was a big jump in the minimum wage from $55-75k around 2013 and last year it went to min $100k for players 1-26 and $70k for players 27-30 (obviously many earn much more than this, particularly 1-26). Amazing that in just 5 years the cap has gone up 40% - $5.5m (2014) to $9.1m (2019) - most of that coming from broadcast and digital rights I guess. It's all here for anyone interested: https://www.nrl.com/operations/integrity/salary-cap/

Last edited:

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Would prefer Sezer on one year as a stop gap for Foran and see which young half steps up. But realistically that won’t happen when Sezer has a 3 year deal waiting in England. I’m just not confident we can go close to a premiership this year with our young and inexperienced halves.
Mate we are not competing for a title until 2022 if the club plays its cards right... Adding Sezer to the line-up is only going to hamper further progress of 3 young halves who will be capable of wining a title in a few years. We seriously need to find out which one or two of those 3 will make it asap.