Ruthless Cowboys?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Anybody interested in calmly discussing this please do so.

If not interested, move on.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/signin...-cowboys/73cc4a7c-1127-4fb3-84d6-b8b02db54370

Their approach is so different to what I perceive to be our approach.

Discussing signings. Confident enough to explain their intentions in trying to get LM. Reckon they might get the money to do it. Publicly expressing Granville can go....and others as well to fit him in. Where's the loyalty?

We have been led to believe Taumololo, Morgan now Holmes all on $1mil...other SOO players in their roster... how can they put together that roster and be so confident and open about ditching some players to get LM.

We congratulate our management for supporting Foz through his 10th surgery in 4 years yet other clubs are easily publicly dispensing of their premiership players.

Only sensible contributions sought...if you are interested.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Cowboys board have made some good decision that lead to them having arguably the best pack on the comp in 2017-18, but have also made diabolical decisions over the past few years retaining some very ordinary players to the point now where they have to get rid of them. What they have that your current board doesn't is credibility. The Cowboys can afford to make a couple of bad decisions, your board cannot.

If your board's first major decision, ie a marquee signing, is a bad one they lose all the credibility they have built up over the past two years getting your cap in order. It's one of the reasons I think they are gun shy in making a major signing, they want to make 1000% sure it's the right move or based on this board, they'd be toast at the next elections and you'll get a new board that has to build their own credibility and meanwhile you're cheering for ninth spot on the ladder.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/signin...-cowboys/73cc4a7c-1127-4fb3-84d6-b8b02db54370

Discussing signings. Confident enough to explain their intentions in trying to get LM. Reckon they might get the money to do it. Publicly expressing Granville can go....and others as well to fit him in. Where's the loyalty?

We have been led to believe Taumololo, Morgan now Holmes all on $1mil...other SOO players in their roster... how can they put together that roster and be so confident and open about ditching some players to get LM.

We congratulate our management for supporting Foz through his 10th surgery in 4 years yet other clubs are easily publicly dispensing of their premiership players.

We’ve moved more players on than any other club in recent years

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The Cowboys board have made some good decision that lead to them having arguably the best pack on the comp in 2017-18, but have also made diabolical decisions over the past few years retaining some very ordinary players to the point now where they have to get rid of them. What they have that your current board doesn't is credibility. The Cowboys can afford to make a couple of bad decisions, your board cannot.

If your board's first major decision, ie a marquee signing, is a bad one they lose all the credibility they have built up over the past two years getting your cap in order. It's one of the reasons I think they are gun shy in making a major signing, they want to make 1000% sure it's the right move or based on this board, they'd be toast at the next elections and you'll get a new board that has to build their own credibility and meanwhile you're cheering for ninth spot on the ladder.
Good points but we need to go out on a limb to a certain extent...more of the same is not going to help us out of the hole.

One day we will have the confidence and credibility you talk about but it's got to be kick started somehow.

Safe options over the past 6 years is what got us here.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ruthless?

Green is still the head coach, after 2 seasons of failure. Yes, he lead them to the finals in 2017, but he has done nothing since. How many coaches survive the chopping block after 2 seasons of failing to make the finals? Very few continue on in this space. Forget his GF successes (2 GF's in 3 years) - players become stale.

As for their salary cap position - there is no way they can afford Latrell. They will be going a step toward what the Roosters did this year, and Manly for the next 6 years (stacking 1/3 of your cap into 3 players) by putting it into 4.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good points but we need to go out on a limb to a certain extent...more of the same is not going to help us out of the hole.

One day we will have the confidence and credibility you talk about but it's got to be kick started somehow.

100% agree, but it's the first major one that's critical for your board to be credible in the eyes of the fans.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I really don’t agree with this comment and it speaks volumes about how you’ve reached the stance that you have regarding our situation. Complete lack of awareness and understanding shown.

The options taken for the first 4 of those 6 years mentioned were anything but safe. Decisions were made in pursuit of short term success, at the great expense of long term sustainability. We saw desperate raids of other teams talent mainly all signed to big money back-ended deals. We saw the speculative re-signing of an unproven Mbye to a big money long term deal to play a key position he had no business playing. We saw the complete and utter neglect of our grassroots nurseries. We saw the injury prone Foran signing on eye-watering dollars. These are all anything but safe decisions.

As a result - we’ve been forced to play the past 2 years in a safe, but more importantly responsible manner.

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

They third most of any club about 800k over salary cap tpa

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
They will still struggle while Green is coach he's passed his used by date by a couple of years and they have plenty of ball runners but little creativity in that side.

That 2017 GF for the Cowboys is similar to the 2014 GF for us in which it wall papered over all of the cracks.

Last edited:

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Ruthless?

Green is still the head coach, after 2 seasons of failure. Yes, he lead them to the finals in 2017, but he has done nothing since. How many coaches survive the chopping block after 2 seasons of failing to make the finals? Very few continue on in this space. Forget his GF successes (2 GF's in 3 years) - players become stale.

As for their salary cap position - there is no way they can afford Latrell. They will be going a step toward what the Roosters did this year, and Manly for the next 6 years (stacking 1/3 of your cap into 3 players) by putting it into 4.
Did you seriously just say forget his success Ahahhha. Out off the 6 years he has been there he has got them to finals 4 times lol how is that bad ? Sure he kept some duds but has moved them on and got in some talent in Holmes, Robson, Drinkwater. They have done more as a club than us since 2014 and Recruited better than us as well.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
True. Any suggestions?
The last time I made a prediction about a player being a champion buy was Martin Kennedy. Yep the bloke that took a pill to the head playing you guys back in 2012. Now serving a ban and 4 years in jail for doping and animal smuggling. Since then I've sworn off embarrassing myself, but hey I'll have crack.

Dylan Brown (Eels) I think would be a good pick up, has loads of that dreaded word potential.
Jack Wighton (Raiders), he'd be a great buy as a running 5/8.
Cody Walker (lol@souffs), would be an interim buy till something better came alone.
Dylan Walker (Manly) I think is coming off contract and can be a good pivot in the Wighton mold.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I really don’t agree with this comment and it speaks volumes about how you’ve reached the stance that you have regarding our situation. Complete lack of awareness and understanding shown.

The options taken for the first 4 of those 6 years mentioned were anything but safe. Decisions were made in pursuit of short term success, at the great expense of long term sustainability. We saw desperate raids of other teams talent mainly all signed to big money back-ended deals. We saw the speculative re-signing of an unproven Mbye to a big money long term deal to play a key position he had no business playing. We saw the complete and utter neglect of our grassroots nurseries. We saw the injury prone Foran signing on eye-watering dollars. These are all anything but safe decisions.

As a result - we’ve been forced to play the past 2 years in a safe, but more importantly responsible manner.
I think you may have misunderstood my contention regarding "safe".

We didn't sign any x factors. BMoz was as x factor as it got. Then a clearly broken Fiz.

You keep making this a comparison of the Boards...I am saying this has happened under both Boards and the current one, while hampered, have not made it a priority in getting x factors. But rather safe, no frills players...same as Des.

Can you expand on this statement pls. I must have forgotten the raids.

"We saw desperate raids of other teams talent mainly all signed to big money back-ended deals".

Your next statement further enhances my argument that the club has taken the easy, "safe" options in re-signing existing players who haven't done the job.

"We saw the speculative re-signing of an unproven Mbye to a big money long term deal to play a key position he had no business playing".

Fiz was an abberation. That outcome is tragic for the club..and probably himself. I do still consider that signing as a "safe" option by Hasler...cos he had nothing else nor the vision to see past that lovefest. Tried to get him 3 times and just buggered us for his own ego. A safe option.

His game plan was safe, his selections were safe.

Pay is def up against it. But he is default safety first and so are the Board IMO.

Fact.

But as our Rorters friend says - it's understandable.

That doesn't make it ideal. At this stage we all hope there's signings being negotiated that will make a meaningful difference to the team because, like all teams, we need some x factors.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They will still struggle while Green is coach he's passed his used by date by a couple of years and they have plenty of ball runners but little creativity in that side.

That 2017 GF for the Cowboys is similar to the 2014 GF for us in which it wall papered over all of the cracks.
I can't believe they didn't fire him after last season. They couldn't have played any worse and he makes some horrible selections and has dumb rotations. He's approaching Mary territory.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Green has lost the plot since JT left..if they don't make the 8 this season then surely he's sacked.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Did you seriously just say forget his success Ahahhha. Out off the 6 years he has been there he has got them to finals 4 times lol how is that bad ? Sure he kept some duds but has moved them on and got in some talent in Holmes, Robson, Drinkwater. They have done more as a club than us since 2014 and Recruited better than us as well.
I am not questioning why he is there.

I am questioning the logic of the term "ruthless" :grinning:

Also - Ricky Stuart led the Roosters to 3 grand finals, missed 2 - was sacked.
Steve Folkes led us to 5/8 final series (5/7 if you disclude 2002) - missed one, was not re-signed.
Michael Hagan - coached the Knights to 4/6 finals, including a grand final. Club went after Brian Smith at the end of his contract

I would answer the rest of your post with a simple quote - thanks captain obvious. It was also a pointless addition to your post to prove a nothing point. Good job, nooblet.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't believe they didn't fire him after last season. They couldn't have played any worse and he makes some horrible selections and has dumb rotations. He's approaching Mary territory.
He's still using block plays from 2014! You'd think he would be in the hot seat if they don't perform next year same goes for Michael Morgan he hasn't done a thing since that purple patch in 2017.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I think you may have misunderstood my contention regarding "safe".

We didn't sign any x factors. BMoz was as x factor as it got. Then a clearly broken Fiz.

You keep making this a comparison of the Boards...I am saying this has happened under both Boards and the current one, while hampered, have not made it a priority in getting x factors. But rather safe, no frills players...same as Des.

Can you expand on this statement pls. I must have forgotten the raids.

"We saw desperate raids of other teams talent mainly all signed to big money back-ended deals".

Your next statement further enhances my argument that the club has taken the easy, "safe" options in re-signing existing players who haven't done the job.

"We saw the speculative re-signing of an unproven Mbye to a big money long term deal to play a key position he had no business playing".

Fiz was an abberation. That outcome is tragic for the club..and probably himself. I do still consider that signing as a "safe" option by Hasler...cos he had nothing else nor the vision to see past that lovefest. Tried to get him 3 times and just buggered us for his own ego. A safe option.

His game plan was safe, his selections were safe.

Pay is def up against it. But he is default safety first and so are the Board IMO.

Fact.

But as our Rorters friend says - it's understandable.

That doesn't make it ideal. At this stage we all hope there's signings being negotiated that will make a meaningful difference to the team because, like all teams, we need some x factors.
Gee that was a difficult read.

Okay I literally cannot debate this matter further with you as you’re now re-defining simple words to suit your original post.

If we can’t agree on the simple definition of the word ‘safe’ then I’m wasting my time.

You’ve concluded that Hasler signing Foran on a 3 year deal worth in excess of $3M is a ‘safe’ option (under your alternate definition of the word).

I just can’t lol

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
I am not questioning why he is there.

I am questioning the logic of the term "ruthless" :grinning:

Also - Ricky Stuart led the Roosters to 3 grand finals, missed 2 - was sacked.
Steve Folkes led us to 5/8 final series (5/7 if you disclude 2002) - missed one, was not re-signed.
Michael Hagan - coached the Knights to 4/6 finals, including a grand final. Club went after Brian Smith at the end of his contract

I would answer the rest of your post with a simple quote - thanks captain obvious. It was also a pointless addition to your post to prove a nothing point. Good job, nooblet.
Noobelt lol says the guy who uses the forget his accomplishments in an argument