Solar power

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Water is precious.
It should be law that all new homes are built with a water tank.
Even if you don't filter it, and only user for toilets and outdoors, would make a big difference. There are plenty of slimline designs out there that would easily go down the side of one's house

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Even if you don't filter it, and only user for toilets and outdoors, would make a big difference. There are plenty of slimline designs out there that would easily go down the side of one's house
I have one down the side of my place.
Don’t know if it’s linked to the toilet though?

Definitely works for the back garden.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Water is precious.
I thought it was, well in NSW it is, maybe not in other States.

Solar should be the same IMO, it's a shame the Solar Industry is full of cowboys, there are some rubbish installations out there.

Have a look at Crap Solar on Facebook

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How’d you go with your search Kungfuman?

As another poster mentioned - the solar market is an absolute minefield. Cowboys everywhere

After a fair bit of research I landed on a 6.6kw system which was just installed this morning. I’ve gone with a Fronius Primo 5.0 inverter and 20 x 330w Seraphim Blade mono panels.

As another poster mentioned - the solar market is an absolute minefield. Cowboys everywhere

After a fair bit of research I landed on a 6.6kw system which was just installed this morning. I’ve gone with a Fronius Primo 5.0 inverter and 20 x 330w Seraphim Blade mono panels.
Im with Origin and have been for years so we went with them got the Fronius and 3.30kw panels for 6.6 total but not hooked to the grid yet but most of the time running solely on solar power and making extra to pump back into the grid so all looking good

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

most days I only produce 77% of the systems capability so about 5070 instead of 6600 so later ill add a few panels but for now having the aircon on, two fridges a battery charger in the garage,my computer all the standbys etc im making extra power to go back to the grid.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
most days I only produce 77% of the systems capability so about 5070 instead of 6600 so later ill add a few panels but for now having the aircon on, two fridges a battery charger in the garage,my computer all the standbys etc im making extra power to go back to the grid.
Good stuff mate, what brand panels did you go with?

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That would’ve cost a fkn bomb.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Water is precious.
Totally agree. It absolutely shits me having to waste perfectly good drinking water from the tap by watering my lawn and garden with it. Using grey water would be much better. Normally try to run the waste water from the washing machine into a tub and use it on the garden.
I live in Perth so our water situation isnt as dire as it is for NSW yet, we have de-salination plants here that are used t transform sea-water into drinking water. Do you guys have desalination plants over your way at all?

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

How much if you don’t mind me asking mate

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How goods that

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Totally agree. It absolutely shits me having to waste perfectly good drinking water from the tap by watering my lawn and garden with it. Using grey water would be much better. Normally try to run the waste water from the washing machine into a tub and use it on the garden.
I live in Perth so our water situation isnt as dire as it is for NSW yet, we have de-salination plants here that are used t transform sea-water into drinking water. Do you guys have desalination plants over your way at all?
Some , but not heaps
Wonder what the desalination plants are worth to run, like how many dollars per litre
I’m getting a rainwater tank hooked up in a few weeks
Only 3000l but on for the back lawn anyway
Need rain, that’s for sure

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
How much if you don’t mind me asking mate
Just $4,500.00

Their initial quote was up there with most of the other companies I dealt with for similar standard equipment ($5,500-$6,500). I sat on them all for a few weeks as I did some further research. They all came again with a discounted quote in the interim, but not as much as this mob. I then had the hide to ask if they’d knock any more $ off if I paid it all upfront and they took another couple hundred off haha.

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One, its switched off

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Just $4,500.00

Their initial quote was up there with most of the other companies I dealt with for similar standard equipment ($5,500-$6,500). I sat on them all for a few weeks as I did some further research. They all came again with a discounted quote in the interim, but not as much as this mob. I then had the hide to ask if they’d knock any more $ off if I paid it all upfront and they took another couple hundred off haha.
Can i ask who the company was please

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It is, in NSW.
It’s part of the BASIX inspection, which is required fo an occupancy certificate.
I have a water tank, it's connected to my toilets, laundry and taps outside.

it's stupid using fresh water to flush shit away

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apparently there has been a major breakthrough with regards to battery technology - https://www.forbes.com/sites/alanoh...-doesnt-care-if-youre-skeptical/#439516f8157a

Nikola Motor, the Phoenix-based startup that wants to disrupt trucking with futuristic electric semis powered by hydrogen, says it has developed a new type of battery cell with double the energy density, only 40% of the weight and half the cost of current lithium-ion batteries used in Teslas and other consumer-market electric vehicles.

Word is they're releasing this new tech in February 2020 and it can be developed for storing power from solar panels.