Three halves

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I see it as the other way around. I think our defence will take care of itself as they showed how great they are in that area over a prolonged period.

Hoping to win close/arm wrestle games every week isn't sustainable long term though as it leaves no margin for error... A few bad refs call, one bad slow start down 18-0 and you're in huge trouble if you don't have the attacking players, intent as a team and shape/tactics to be able to chase points.
Another problem with too much focus on defence can be getting gassed too quickly. This didn’t seem to work against us at the back end of 2019 but it’s a risk, especially if the other mob are fitter and run over the top of you later in the game, even if you defended well for 60min. You’ve gotta rely on the fact that they are gassed too.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at them looking at Pay. He has their respect.

Maybe that's too much to handle for some and will post anything to make up bullshit.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I hate this photo as it should be Sherwin sitting with the boys instead. Need Shifty teaching them, especially Wakeham.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I see it as the other way around. I think our defence will take care of itself as they showed how great they are in that area over a prolonged period.

Hoping to win close/arm wrestle games every week isn't sustainable long term though as it leaves no margin for error... A few bad refs call, one bad slow start down 18-0 and you're in huge trouble if you don't have the attacking players, intent as a team and shape/tactics to be able to chase points.
We defenitely need to continue working on both, this idea that some people have with us having to have this aggressive defence that hurts the opposition is pretty irrelevant these days. Players simply don't get hurt all that often in tackles unless there's some sort of foul play or accident involved and a lot of the intimidation factor just isn't there. Catching a player, holding them and the wrestling them too the ground is almost always the better play.

What we defenitely need to work on is our ability to apply pressure, both with and without the ball. Our inability in attack is pretty much down to this because our systems lacked any sort of depth or purpose. We weren't actively breaking down the opposition, we weren't actively looking to get key players in advantous positions, we weren't actively asking the opposition to make multiple decisions, etc...the pressure just wasn't there and the opposition knew that.

Hopefully the right decisions are made with selections and the right players with the right skills are given the opportunity to prove themselves in this team. We can't rely on scrapping our way to wins like you said as it just isn't sustainable in the NRL.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We defenitely need to continue working on both, this idea that some people have with us having to have this aggressive defence that hurts the opposition is pretty irrelevant these days. Players simply don't get hurt all that often in tackles unless there's some sort of foul play or accident involved and a lot of the intimidation factor just isn't there. Catching a player, holding them and the wrestling them too the ground is almost always the better play.

What we defenitely need to work on is our ability to apply pressure, both with and without the ball. Our inability in attack is pretty much down to this because our systems lacked any sort of depth or purpose. We weren't actively breaking down the opposition, we weren't actively looking to get key players in advantous positions, we weren't actively asking the opposition to make multiple decisions, etc...the pressure just wasn't there and the opposition knew that.

Hopefully the right decisions are made with selections and the right players with the right skills are given the opportunity to prove themselves in this team. We can't rely on scrapping our way to wins like you said as it just isn't sustainable in the NRL.
Spot on. If Pay encourages the team to offload, demands that someone pushes up on every play and changes the point of attack instead of persisting with block plays then the team can put points on with some of the talent we have.

In the last two months of the season, DWZ, Hoppa, RFM, Renouf and Cogger were the main sparks in attack that created breaks and half chances. Players need to keep supporting those guys every time they run.

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Years of seeing dumb ass threads go up and some muppets choose to call this one out?

I hope what Pay is saying
‘Boys, 2020 is a clean slate , you will all get equal opportunities to impress during the pre season and by the end of the trials I will pick the two most deserving’
That was my take on it as well.

It was a great pic of coach and his 3 main playmaker halves for the coming season.

You jackal's level of nastiness has even sunk that low that you complain about that...clearly a feel good Bulldogs pic that has every right to be put up on here to be discussed.

Definately asking for a review of your current vile participation because you clearly have not taken any notice of Mod Dognacious.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Another problem with too much focus on defence can be getting gassed too quickly. This didn’t seem to work against us at the back end of 2019 but it’s a risk, especially if the other mob are fitter and run over the top of you later in the game, even if you defended well for 60min. You’ve gotta rely on the fact that they are gassed too.
Absolutely. Plus factor in that a lot of teams would have scouted us more over the off season and won't take us so lightly this season. So we'll have to add another dimension to not be too predictable.

Lewis needs to run more and show some consistency and creativity in attack because as superb as his defence is, and he is an amazing defender, he also needs to show he's improved with the ball for us to be more of a threat.

If not, then I hope Wakeham gets a shot because I think he'll prove to be the creative half that we've needed and lacked since Noddy and obviously Shifty left.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I think everyone would agree that the quality of threads on here is at a low point, and this is another example. That was our criticism. Sorry for upsetting you.

Now let’s get back on topic...Wait, what is the topic? You just posted a contextless photo of 4 blokes sitting on a beach.

Let’s close this thread and get some robust Bulldogs discussion going. That’s what we’re all here for.
Four blokes sitting on a beach...was it.

Posted on a Bulldogs discussion page...

You have a problem with a pic of our 3 halves sitting on a beach with our coach during pte-season training preparing for the coming season.

You, the horse who posted a topic about how over rated Renouf Toomaga is? Then where was the put down topic you posted on young Wakeham.

You deem those 2 efforts of yours had more value than a topic about our halves training with the coach during a long pre-season.?

Astounding.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It’s a good pic and a nice change to the constant dribble on the Kennel. The off season is annoying but seeing the guys prepping for 2020 is good.

Hopefully there is pics of them being tortured running up Sandhills hundreds of times too...

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Absolutely. Plus factor in that a lot of teams would have scouted us more over the off season and won't take us so lightly this season. So we'll have to add another dimension to not be too predictable.

Lewis needs to run more and show some consistency and creativity in attack because as superb as his defence is, and he is an amazing defender, he also needs to show he's improved with the ball for us to be more of a threat.

If not, then I hope Wakeham gets a shot because I think he'll prove to be the creative half that we've needed and lacked since Noddy and obviously Shifty left.
True re: other teams being more wary of us early in 2020.
On the gassed bit - I was at Belmore in 2018 when the Raiders ran us down - that hurt to watch.

Agree re: Lewis - still don't know what to think beyond his defence and enthusiasm - attack/creativity very ordinary and he must cut out the oesophagus seeking kicks to opposition fullbacks. I hope he goes well, but Wakeham will no doubt get a shot at some point and hopefully he shines too.
I actually wouldn't mind seeing Cogger/Wakeham start the year - but Lewis probably needs to figure for his defence. Pre-season form should tell the story.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
That was my take on it as well.

It was a great pic of coach and his 3 main playmaker halves for the coming season.

You jackal's level of nastiness has even sunk that low that you complain about that...clearly a feel good Bulldogs pic that has every right to be put up on here to be discussed.

Definately asking for a review of your current vile participation because you clearly have not taken any notice of Mod Dognacious.
A couple of polite enquiries into whether or not this warrants its own thread and you’ve retorted by labelling us as “nasty little sickos”, “jackals” and “vile”.

I’m no expert on the rules around here though I’m pretty you’ve broken one and we have not.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
A couple of polite enquiries into whether or not this warrants its own thread and you’ve retorted by labelling us as “nasty little sickos”, “jackals” and “vile”.

I’m no expert on the rules around here though I’m pretty you’ve broken one and we have not.
You purposely bait and have done it constantly and relentlessly since you came back.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I couldn't guess what is being discussed. But hopefully

A) The three contenders for the 6 & 7 spots are given a fair opportunity to contest for one of the two positions.
B) We get them some quality coaching.
C) They all do enough to make the ultimate choice of who gets first chances to lock in the starting spots a difficult decision.

For the season ahead I think that starting strongly in defence would be great. But the big thing in my opinion is getting the support play right. I saw too many occasions where tries went begging because the support players just weren't to be found. It'll help our halves to shine if they've regularly got passing options.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

I’m quite offended and will consider making a formal complaint!!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I couldn't guess what is being discussed. But hopefully

A) The three contenders for the 6 & 7 spots are given a fair opportunity to contest for one of the two positions.
B) We get them some quality coaching.
C) They all do enough to make the ultimate choice of who gets first chances to lock in the starting spots a difficult decision.

For the season ahead I think that starting strongly in defence would be great. But the big thing in my opinion is getting the support play right. I saw too many occasions where tries went begging because the support players just weren't to be found. It'll help our halves to shine if they've regularly got passing options.
The halves regardless of who gets the jumpers need to sort out how to get more ball to the likes of DWZ and ultimately Smith and Meaney. All have pace and can finish if they get some decent ball - which for me very noticeably Smith didn’t get enough of in 2019 - yet still managed 12 tries. This highlights what we’re lacking in the centres as although I still rate Hoppa overall, he’s noticeably slower these days. I hope Harper can make the other centre position his. No responses regarding Mitchell please - it’s been done to death and he’s not coming...

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I’m quite offended and will consider making a formal complaint!!
Do us all a favour and ban yourselves....the descriptions of your actions are all true.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Do us all a favour and ban yourselves....the descriptions of your actions are all true.
Wendog, now you're getting into the tit-for-tat that you originally complained of. If any user bothers you that much, set them to ignore and move on. Since I did that, the forum is a much cleaner and happier place for me.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

You 2 stoop so low as to critiscise a Topic on a pre-season photo of our halves and coach together.

You dismiss them merely as "4 blokes on a beach".

Those 4 guys have the fortunes of the club's success in their hands.

To me that reaction represents the level of both of you of your genuine love for the club.

It's so disrespectful.

And it's both depressing and alarming that you are allowed to just go on, open slather, reeking havoc on every other person's post other than your own.

Your participation, baiting and general ill will towards people on here is a reflection of your personalities.

You encourage dysfunction on the page and say it's great for click bait and advertising for the owners of the site.

Stop ruining the page with bullying vitriol that feeds your out of control egos.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Wendy, I’ve never thrown insults at you but you’ve called me every name under the sun in the past day. Please act your age and abide by the forums rules. Being a hypocrite is not cool