Opinion Retention Talk: 2018-2020 Losses

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Evening Kennel,

We've had a look at the players we've added to the squad recently. Let's run the microscope over those who we have released and see if the club has got it right.

The current Board are now into their 2nd off season, and since taking over in 2018, have presided over 21 Top 30 contracted players depart the club.

We'll allocate a smiley face or a sad face emoji based on whether it was correct business to let them go.

1. Moses Mbye: Dispatched to the Tigers, where he's since been demoted from fullback, with Corey Thompson preferred. Overpaid, overrated. Rating: :blush:
2. Aaron Woods:
Offloaded to the Sharks, where he's mainly played from the bench and has failed to win selection in any rep teams. Overpaid, overrated. Rating: :blush:
3. Josh Morris:
Twilight of his career, had an OK season with the Sharks, but nothing special nowadays despite still commanding a reasonable pay packet. Rating: :blush:
4. Brett Morris:
Like Josh, twilight of his career and our salary cap position didn't allow to retain a winger on decent coin. Meaney and Okunbor were afforded opportunities to develop in his absence. Rating: :blush:
5. Chase Stanley:
Scored a contract with Toronto. Very injury prone, we just couldn't get him on the paddock enough and became a burden. Rating: :blush:
6. David Klemmer:
Wish we could've kept him happy. Best prop in the game and is in on a superior level to his direct replacement in Napa. Rating: :disrelieved:
7. Matt Frawley:
Simply not good enough. Had his opportunity to impress but couldn't aim up regularly enough. Rating: :blush:
8. Mason Cerutto:
Who? Apparently now lays bricks for a living. Rating: :blush:
9. Clay Priest:
Mediocre. Hasn't managed to land a gig elsewhere since. Rating: :blush:
10. Asipeli Fine:
Now with Redcliffe Dolphins. Not first grade quality. Rating: :blush:
11. Francis Tualau:
Now with Wynnum Manly Seagulls. Not first grade quality. Rating: :blush:
12. Greg Eastwood:
Released after a cap-shattering backended contract. Re-homed at Newtown Jets. Rating: :blush:
13. Zac Woolford:
Released to Newcastle. Still yet to crack First Grade. Rating: :blush:
14. Tyrone Phillips:
Released to Penrith, who've since released him also. Starred in a sex tape with Tyrone May. Rating: :blush:
15. Josh Cleeland:
Now with Ipswich Jets. Not first grade quality. Rating: :blush:
16. John Olive:
Woeful. Currently unsigned. Rating: :blush:
17. Danny Fualalo:
Showed promise at times but never kicked on despite plenty of chances to. Rating: :blush:
18. Michael Lichaa:
Still unsigned and will probably remain that way. Rating: :blush:
19. Rhyse Martin:
Surplus to requirements due to superior back row stocks. Unwanted by NRL clubs, currently in ESL. Rating: :blush:
20. Zac Saddler:
Spent 2 years here but produced nothing. Rating: :blush:
21. Nu Brown:
Reserve grade bully. Can't seem to make the step up to first grade level. Currently unsigned for 2020. Rating: :blush:

By my count, that's 20 out of the 21 players we've let go that were the correct decision.

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Last edited:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I find all that pretty hard to argue with.
Might've been nice to keep the Morris boys (at least Josh) for an extra year for some experience out the back but they wanted 2 year deals and the club was only prepared to offer them 1 year, which I think was the right call. Good on Brett that he happened to get a gig at the Chooks and win another premiership.
Letting these boys go as well as the end of Eastwood's fat last contract likely helped our cap position improve faster.
Agree with Meaney's development, but I'm still not sold on Okunbur at all - he reminds me too much of Jamal Idris who lost his way and ended up a journeyman and retired.
Klemmer I agree better than Napa but was happy to see him go when clearly he had a bad attitude, which seemed to be as a result of letting go his bromance partner, Woods. The Knights didn't make the 8, but Adam O'Brien might knock them into better shape in 2020.

Good summary. Also interested to hear views on who's off contract end of 2020 and whether they should be extended or not (with the exception of Foran - I think we know the general consensus there)...

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good decisions on nearly all of those players mentioned.

In my opinion i would not swap napa with klemmer, he is coming good and started do some big minutes at the back end of the year with great effect.

I never rated Martin, but I started to warm to him, not only for his goal kicking but he seemed to be able to break tackles and score tries,like corey Parker..

But other than that, the board has done tremendously well on culling these players no arguments from me.
Evening Kennel,

We've had a look at the players we've added to the squad recently. Let's run the microscope over those who we have released and see if the club has got it right.

The current Board are now into their 2nd off season, and since taking over in 2018, have presided over 21 Top 30 contracted players depart the club.

We'll allocate a smiley face or a sad face emoji based on whether it was correct business to let them go.

1. Moses Mbye: Dispatched to the Tigers, where he's since been demoted from fullback, with Corey Thompson preferred. Overpaid, overrated. Rating: :blush:
2. Aaron Woods:
Offloaded to the Sharks, where he's mainly played from the bench and has failed to win selection in any rep teams. Overpaid, overrated. Rating: :blush:
3. Josh Morris:
Twilight of his career, had an OK season with the Sharks, but nothing special nowadays despite still commanding a reasonable pay packet. Rating: :blush:
4. Brett Morris:
Like Josh, twilight of his career and our salary cap position didn't allow to retain a winger on decent coin. Meaney and Okunbor were afforded opportunities to develop in his absence. Rating: :blush:
5. Chase Stanley:
Scored a contract with Toronto. Very injury prone, we just couldn't get him on the paddock enough and became a burden. Rating: :blush:
6. David Klemmer:
Wish we could've kept him happy. Best prop in the game and is in on a superior level to his direct replacement in Napa. Rating: :disrelieved:
7. Matt Frawley:
Simply not good enough. Had his opportunity to impress but couldn't aim up regularly enough. Rating: :blush:
8. Mason Cerutto:
9. Clay Priest:
10. Asipeli Fine:
11. Francis Tualau:
12. Greg Eastwood:
Released after a cap-shattering backended contract. Re-homed at Newtown Jets. Rating: :blush:
13. Zac Woolford:
14. Tyrone Phillips:
Released to Penrith, who've since released him also. Starred in a sex tape with Tyrone May. Rating: :blush:
15. Josh Cleeland:
16. John Olive:
17. Danny Fualalo:
Showed promise at times but never kicked on despite plenty of chances to. Rating: :blush:
18. Michael Lichaa:
19. Rhyse Martin:
Surplus to requirements due to superior back row stocks. Unwanted by NRL clubs, currently in ESL. Rating: :blush:
20. Zac Saddler:
21. Nu Brown:
Reserve grade bully. Can't seem to make the step up to first grade level. Currently unsigned for 2020. Rating: :blush:

By my count, that's 20 out of the 21 players we've let go that were the correct decision.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only disagreement I have is klemmer gets a :(
For bringing woods :grinning:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Evening Kennel,

2. Aaron Woods:
3. Josh Morris:
4. Brett Morris:
5. Chase Stanley:
6. David Klemmer:
7. Matt Frawley:
8. Mason Cerutto:
9. Clay Priest:
10. Asipeli Fine:
11. Francis Tualau:
12. Greg Eastwood:
13. Zac Woolford:
14. Tyrone Phillips:
15. Josh Cleeland:
16. John Olive:
17. Danny Fualalo:
18. Michael Lichaa:
19. Rhyse Martin:
20. Zac Saddler:
21. Nu Brown:

Agree on all counts, Brett and Josh Morris are still valuable class players, but we just couldn't utilise them properly so was happy to see them go, even though it would have been nice to see Josh retire with us.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Klemmer is a interesting one because we had him on a good contract but it was going to come to a head when that deal ran out. He would have been wanting big money and I’m glad we won’t be paying it. It would have been nice to have him for the last two years of his deal but overall there’s just as many positives as there is negatives about Klemmer leaving.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You shitbag the Morris brothers and call your self a “Bulldog” ??
The maximum 7 whips rule shouldn’t apply to you...

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
You have a point with Josh but not so much with Brett.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t believe I shitbagged either of them. Might be bedtime for you Bazzler?

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You have a point with Josh but not so much with Brett.
Brett just won a comp with the rorters and like his twin wanted to finish his career a dog. Neither wanted to leave and both loved the club. That’s enough for me.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m sorry, did you say something Ed? Think before you nay.
Have you got anything of value to contribute to this thread mate or are you just gonna talk smack?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Brett just won a comp with the rorters and like his twin wanted to finish his career a dog. Neither wanted to leave and both loved the club. That’s enough for me.
Brett only came here to play with his brother and he got a huge deal to play fullback. He spent half the time at the club injured and as soon as he could leave he left. Josh certainly deserves a great deal of respect from his service to the club but Brett is not even close to that.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m more concerned about the losses of;
Damien cook
Marty tapau
Dale finucane
Shaun lane
Josh Morris
All bar JMoz were lost under the previous Board and coach.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Have you got anything of value to contribute to this thread mate or are you just gonna talk smack?
FWIW,@TEOTD IM AAK FFS. BUT AFAIK GAL. STFU ED ....

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I’m more concerned about the losses of;
Damien cook
Marty tapau
Dale finucane
Shaun lane
Josh Morris
Agree but all except J-Moz were decisions of the Despot. Need we go there again?

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Is this about our FG squad or the current board?..

It seems its more about the current board.. if it is there is no need to worry regardless of what side your on ... as they will be relected regardless of what you think about them..

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Brett only came here to play with his brother and he got a huge deal to play fullback. He spent half the time at the club injured and as soon as he could leave he left. Josh certainly deserves a great deal of respect from his service to the club but Brett is not even close to that.
Really..?

Even with his injurys Brett played almost 70 FG games for us and contrary to you comment neither brother wanted to ever leave.
Many on here regulary found excuse for Foran with just 26 games in 3 years and yet he was never a dog..

Brett Morris was a dog.