Halves crisis solved? Brodie Croft ‘signed, sealed and delivered’ to Broncos, says Darren Lockyer

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Halves crisis solved? Brodie Croft ‘signed, sealed and delivered’ to Broncos, says Darren Lockyer
Broncos

• November 26, 2019 11:46am
  • by Staff writers
  • Source: FOX SPORTS

Brodie Croft is Broncos bound. Picture: Alix SweeneySource: News Corp Australia
Melbourne halfback Brodie Croft is heading to Brisbane on a three-year deal from 2020, according to Broncos board member Darren Lockyer.

Croft’s move to Red Hill has been a number of months in the making, with foxsports.com.au first revealing the 22-year-old’s first meeting with Broncos coach Anthony Seibold in September.

Salary constraints at the Broncos threatened the deal, but Lockyer confirmed to Channel 9 that the move would happen.

“It’s been talked about for a little while now. It’s signed, sealed and delivered – Brodie’s coming for three years and I think he’s going to be a great addition to the squad,” Lockyer said.

The Broncos have been looking at their playmaking options since crashing out in the first of the finals last season with a humiliating 58-0 loss to the Parramatta Eels.

Seibold tinkered with his halves combinations in 2019 season to no avail, with the likes of Anthony Milford, Darius Boyd, Tom Dearden, Jake Turpin, Sean O’Sullivan and Kodi Nikorima featuring at times throughout the season.

Brodie Croft is off to the Broncos. Picture: Alix SweeneySource: News Corp Australia

Croft’s signing is hoped to bring stability to the playmakers, with Milford tipped to return to five-eighth.

“I think whether five-eighth or fullback with Milf, having someone like Brodie who can organise, which just comes natural to him, it allows someone like Milf to free him up and just go and play footy, which is what he does best,” Lockyer said.

“Again, I think he’s a great addition to the squad because he’s the sort of player we need.”

Dearden showed promise in five NRL appearances before his season was ended by injury, but it’s believed he will benefit from having a more experienced mentor to learn from.

According to recent reports, Croft will be Brisbane’s first-choice halfback next season with Dearden to be his understudy, continuing the fine development he showed this year.

“We’ve got big things for Tom Dearden,” Lockyer said.

“He’s 18, he’s still learning. He’ll be part of the mix there as well and he’s another option.

“But he’s a good kid with a great attitude, so he’ll be around the place.”

The Storm are yet to officially announce Croft’s release.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah let’s hope Alzz doesn’t catch wind of this

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fact that Bellamy didn't rate him raises some questions about his ability or was it more to do with attitude? One of the only players who didn't look like a superstar when playing alongside Smith and Slater....

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Other than Cronk, what Storm player has gone on to star at another club?

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
How could you guys forget tolman?

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
And Cronk didn't really do anything more than what he did at the Storm. He was a Star before he left. All he had to do at the Roosters was show up

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Brodie Croft is not a good player. He won't be the solution to Brisbane's problems.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And Cronk didn't really do anything more than what he did at the Storm. He was a Star before he left. All he had to do at the Roosters was show up
He was an upgrade on what we had that's for sure.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I actually think he's a valuable part of the team and solid 1st grader, just no superstar.
I wish he was bigger, quicker & stayed the hell away when we are on the attack but our defence is worse when he is off the field

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I wish he was bigger, quicker & stayed the hell away when we are on the attack but our defence is worse when he is off the field
Yeah mate, cant disagree with the hit ups destroying our attack, but defence is where he holds the team well. He isn't the biggest/best in the league by a mile, but has still been solid over the years imo. In saying all this probably not required after this contract though.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yeah mate, cant disagree with the hit ups destroying our attack, but defence is where he holds the team well. He isn't the biggest/best in the league by a mile, but has still been solid over the years imo. In saying all this probably not required after this contract though.
Agree mate. His type of forward is being phased out of the game. Our younger forwards need to step up and become the glue in defence that he is

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I dont really think Croft will solve many of their problems, they needed a more experienced playmaker to just do the basics right. Croft has always been compared to Cronk but I dont think that can be further from the truth, Croft plays better off the cuff and doesn't always make the right decisions.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Broncos have picked up Dragons reserve grade front rower Lachlan Timm on a train/trial deal. Kid goes alright, surprised a Sydney club didn't pick him up