Opinion Are the board doing the best job they can?

Are the board doing the best job they can?

• Yes

Votes: 54 65.1%
  • No

Votes: 29 34.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reckon Seggy and Brad share the same dealer...
If you remember when we played the Broncs Segy split us down the middle with a good run. I can't remember JMK splitting the Broncs. Yes he f..ked up by using performance enhancing drugs. Maybe he got desperate but maybe if he had joined us he never would have got to that stage and thus a different direction. We'll never know

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
If you remember when we played the Broncs Segy split us down the middle with a good run. I can't remember JMK splitting the Broncs. Yes he f..ked up by using performance enhancing drugs. Maybe he got desperate but maybe if he had joined us he never would have got to that stage and thus a different direction. We'll never know
Maybe if your dad used protection we wouldn’t have to put up with your dribble all day

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
So we are basing the judgement of two players for the whole season around making one run in one game that seems like a very rational and well thought out argument.....

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just a thought, How the Fcuk did we manage to avoid the wooden spoon for consecutive years?

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Just a thought, How the Fcuk did we manage to avoid the wooden spoon for consecutive years?
I think the team and club deserve some credit for that. The bookies had us as favourites as did many of the “experts”

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think the team and club deserve some credit for that. The bookies had us as favourites as did many of the “experts”
Justification for the board and the work they're doing??

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Justification for the board and the work they're doing??
I definitely think some. The rest will be evident in time. I want to see more improvement next year too

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I definitely think some. The rest will be evident in time. I want to see more improvement next year too
Considering the players that left the squad didn't have too much effect on and off the field yes, there shouldn't really be much reason not to improve compared to recent seasons.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
https://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting/rugby-league/nrl/nrl-least-wins-wooden-spoon-2020-4978214

We (coach, leadership group, players, club) did a terrific job last year considering everything - overachieved. Some people have placed their expectations way too high regarding next year tho.
Expectations are still warranted considering we have a more settled squad next yr. Also most players actually know their roles and the players that have left didn't have much effect on the playing group.

Compared to last season where we lost some quality and the fact coaching staff were tinkering too much to find out what positions suited which players best its really not hard to find why we shouldn't do better or at least be on par.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We defenitely didn't overachieve.
Look at our roster and compare it to every team. We also have a rookie coach. Where we were tipped to finish last year was justified. We didn't finish there = overachieved. We're the same squad basically while other clubs are rumoured (Cowboys - Holmes, Tigers - Latrell) to strengthen. Our best player Foran is also out for the whole season.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Look at our roster and compare it to every team. We also have a rookie coach. Where we were tipped to finish last year was justified. We didn't finish there = overachieved.
Garbage. The roster excuse is the biggest cop out ever, yes we lack in the spine but overall we had plenty of players with ability. Where we finished is exactly where I said we should've. The quality of other sides and coaches is also shit and the performances and make cut off to the 8 proves that.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Garbage. The roster excuse is the biggest cop out ever, yes we lack in the spine but overall we had plenty of players with ability. Where we finished is exactly where I said we should've. The quality of other sides and coaches is also shit and the performances and make cut off to the 8 proves that.
Other clubs have plenty of players with ability too (and more then us). Ours backs and spine is down there at the bottom when comparing to other clubs.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Other clubs have plenty of players with ability too (and more then us). Ours backs and spine is down there at the bottom when comparing to other clubs.
No not really, the gap is no where as big as you lot think.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The board is doing fine so far IMO. I think they communicate enough. I don't need to know secret details about recruitment plans or who we're chasing or not chasing. It's a competitive market and I'm sure were in it to the hilt for the right players at the right price. I'd love to see us sign a decent player for the right price, but we have little money for next year and a long time still to fill out our 2021 roster. A quality signing (for 20 or 21) would lift us all but there is still plenty of time.

I don't agree the board can be judged badly so soon after they inherited a debacle. I do agree that the buck stops at the top (ie the board and the coach in their respective roles) but the board deserves more time IMO - the coach has probably three months though. I reckon Pay needs a 50/50 win loss ratio at least in that time, given our finish last year and very favourable draw. But for the board after what they inherited, success is about more than recruitment or even on-field success in the first 2 years.

Re the players we didn't sign, I don't think we've missed anyone all that special. And we've signed CHN, Stimson and DWZ - three very good players. Re the players we 'missed'

- Lattrell outpriced himself. He's not a million dollar player and we did the right thing to distance ourselves from the circus straight away
- Koroisau isn't much better than JMK these days. No point paying overs for players of similar quality in a key position. Katoa is a class lower but is only a depth signing and costs probably a third of Api's price. We need a great DH but it's not Api.
- Segayaro hasn't shown anything lately to say he could be our DH answer. Risky role model and just not needed.
- Ese'ese - would have been a reasonable addition but hasn't come on since showing some decent form at the Bronco's and early on at the Knights. Not sure what happened with negotiations (if there was any) but not the biggest miss!
- Ramien - again I think he would have been a good pick-up but he clearly wanted to go back to the Sharks. His dismal sooky year last year made us rightly stay away from paying overs.
- Scott -would be a great pickup at centre. I was pissed off we weren't in the mix for him but I've got no info to say our board could have done more to get him? I'd say Ricky rang his old mate Craig and that was about it for that one.

There might be others, but I can't think of any where our board could be said to have bungled negotiations. You could say they signed Pay and that's affecting our ability to attract players, but again that's just opinion - there's no evidence of it. The reality is some coaches will always be more attractive to players than others, but there's no evidence that Pay is a particular turn-off for players. Blokes like Fifita, Arrow, Radradra and Taukeiaho are all still possible. Who knows if we'll make offers?

The board has clearly shown that they are putting priority into the local juniors and the partnership with NSW North Coast is a great initiative for the future. We're putting better salary-cap management in place for the future and we aren't getting sucked into paying overs for medium quality or risky players. There is a blueprint, but impatience is stopping some people from seeing that. Whether it all works we won't know for a couple of years but I'm happy to give a bit more time to the board. Changing boards now would be the worst thing the club could do.

Kennelnator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The board is doing fine so far IMO. I think they communicate enough. I don't need to know secret details about recruitment plans or who we're chasing or not chasing. It's a competitive market and I'm sure were in it to the hilt for the right players at the right price. I'd love to see us sign a decent player for the right price, but we have little money for next year and a long time still to fill out our 2021 roster. A quality signing (for 20 or 21) would lift us all but there is still plenty of time.

I don't agree the board can be judged badly so soon after they inherited a debacle. I do agree that the buck stops at the top (ie the board and the coach in their respective roles) but the board deserves more time IMO - the coach has probably three months though. I reckon Pay needs a 50/50 win loss ratio at least in that time, given our finish last year and very favourable draw. But for the board after what they inherited, success is about more than recruitment or even on-field success in the first 2 years.

Re the players we didn't sign, I don't think we've missed anyone all that special. And we've signed CHN, Stimson and DWZ - three very good players. Re the players we 'missed'

- Lattrell outpriced himself. He's not a million dollar player and we did the right thing to distance ourselves from the circus straight away
- Koroisau isn't much better than JMK these days. No point paying overs for players of similar quality in a key position. Katoa is a class lower but is only a depth signing and costs probably a third of Api's price. We need a great DH but it's not Api.
- Segayaro hasn't shown anything lately to say he could be our DH answer. Risky role model and just not needed.
- Ese'ese - would have been a reasonable addition but hasn't come on since showing some decent form at the Bronco's and early on at the Knights. Not sure what happened with negotiations (if there was any) but not the biggest miss!
- Ramien - again I think he would have been a good pick-up but he clearly wanted to go back to the Sharks. His dismal sooky year last year made us rightly stay away from paying overs.
- Scott -would be a great pickup at centre. I was pissed off we weren't in the mix for him but I've got no info to say our board could have done more to get him? I'd say Ricky rang his old mate Craig and that was about it for that one.

There might be others, but I can't think of any where our board could be said to have bungled negotiations. You could say they signed Pay and that's affecting our ability to attract players, but again that's just opinion - there's no evidence of it. The reality is some coaches will always be more attractive to players than others, but there's no evidence that Pay is a particular turn-off for players. Blokes like Fifita, Arrow, Radradra and Taukeiaho are all still possible. Who knows if we'll make offers?

The board has clearly shown that they are putting priority into the local juniors and the partnership with NSW North Coast is a great initiative for the future. We're putting better salary-cap management in place for the future and we aren't getting sucked into paying overs for medium quality or risky players. There is a blueprint, but impatience is stopping some people from seeing that. Whether it all works we won't know for a couple of years but I'm happy to give a bit more time to the board. Changing boards now would be the worst thing the club could do.
Totally agree.

We desperately need a forward in the mould of Taukeiaho and he would be a superb signing if it was to eventuate.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How is finishing 11th "overachieving"?

Talk about setting the bar low. How is 11th an achievement?

As Marley said, some of you can't have it both ways. You say Pay can't be expected to do better because we have such a bad squad but you praise him infinitely because we won several games to end the season.

Doesn't that then prove that we do have some decent players and that Pay and the squad proved that the expectations should be a bit higher in his third year?

Do I think we'll make the finals? No. But I certainly won't be giving the coach a pass or an extension if we finish 10th or worse.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
How is finishing 11th "overachieving"?

Talk about setting the bar low. How is 11th an achievement?

As Marley said, some of you can't have it both ways. You say Pay can't be expected to do better because we have such a bad squad but you praise him infinitely because we won several games to end the season.

Doesn't that then prove that we do have some decent players and that Pay and the squad proved that the expectations should be a bit higher in his third year?

Do I think we'll make the finals? No. But I certainly won't be giving the coach a pass or an extension if we finish 10th or worse.
We were expected to finish Wooden Spooners last year. This year we're expected to finish second last. Anything above that is an over achievement (Overachievers are individuals who "perform better or achieve more success than expected."). As long as the effort is there and we don't give up at the back end of the season I can't really judge the teams record (W/L, For and Against) as we're not good enough to compete with 14 teams (IMO) on paper. That is just reality and the situation we're in. I will go into the season and every game knowing that we have a chance but you have to set realistic expectations...

Status
Not open for further replies.