Opinion Are the board doing the best job they can?

Are the board doing the best job they can?

• Yes

Votes: 54 65.1%
  • No

Votes: 29 34.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I don't know about you mate , but just a competitive team doesn't sit comfortably with me ?
What does that mean? That we don't get lapped every week and be embarrassed on the scoreboard, or just losing by a couple of tries but the effort was there??

We should be striving for excellence both on and off the field.
We should be the benchmark for all Sydney clubs or all clubs for that matter.
We should assemble a team that is capable or in a position to be able to win the grand final every year.

Look at Melbourne, the roosters, nearly every year they are up for it.

You are easily pleased mate and if that is not the goal of the football club boy are we in some trouble.
Being competitive in my eyes is being expected (before a ball is kicked) to make the top eight every season and not be completely written off come finals (maybe some decent runs over a five year period - make a Grand Final and Semis, basically what we were under Des until his last year in charge). Being dominant like the Roosters or Storm is another level again.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I must say it’s comforting to see the Board have the support of 51% of the Kennel.

This effectively translates to 90% support for the actual upcoming election due to absence of voting privileges for the average knucklehead on here.

How’s that rebel ticket coming along @Bulldogs09 @bradtalo @AlzzBulldog @wendog33
Time to rally chaps
Do you understand how polls actually work ? If a poll on here shows around half those on here believe the board are failing how can you assume that all the club members though agree with you ? LOL. I could just as easily make up the same BullShit and say most members agree with me. The poll suggests that around half of the members would also lack confidence in the current board.

When I and a few other on here were calling for Hasler's head well before the majority there were some who sounded exactly like you telling us that we were being impatient and it was the first time he'd missed the finals etc but we could see the writing on the wall already.

If the following doesn't cause you any concern then there's something wrong

- The majority on here knew we needed a replacement for Lichaa at least a year or 2 ago. (Did the board know ?, Did they actually watch our games ?). 2 young very promising hookers were available in Brailey and Robinson but they were signed by the Knights and Titans. So we missed out on both. Did our recruitment team even speak to either of them ?
- Api was reportedly virtually signed, sealed and delivered but no we missed out on him last minute also.
- "At the time" we were struggling with Lichaa and JMK why didn't we sign Segeyaro even when he was without an NRL contract and working in a bar.
- Jake Turpin reportedly turned us down
- Corey Oates reportedly turned us down
- "Numerous" reports our club was hot for the Turbo brothers (how realistic) but they weren't even interested in talking to us
- Jesse Ramien turned us down
- Herman Ese'ese turned us down
- We send a rookie CEO who had no experience whatsoever in signing players over to the UK twice to negotiate with coach Justin Holbrook and player Luke Thompson. We missed out on Holbrook and we're still nowhere with Thompson obviously.
- "Leagues club" director (not Football club) George Coorey takes it upon himself (WHY ?) to talk to Mitchell in his own private home. Reports that members of the Football club were unhappy about this. Reports the board couldn't agree on a price. Official statement that we would not be making ANY official offer to Mitchell. Disharmony among our admin.
- Quotes by Andrew Hill about him speaking to Semi Radradra about Dogs interest. Now there's reports Radradra is interested in returning to the NRL but with the "Rabbits". FAIL by Hill again.
- Joey Manu reportedly re-signed with the Roosters for 2 years only for around 650K a year. With a player like him I would have expected our club to make him a priority target to get in early. If he signed with the Roosters for unders for 2 years only seems he never received any real approach from the Dogs / potential offer that was too good to refuse. Why not ?

We've re-signed Chris Smith but not our club captain Josh Jackson. Why ?

The only new players we've signed in Stimson, Britt (signed by Chris Anderson before he left most likely - and hasn't been replaced) and Katoa aren't exactly world beaters so we didn't have much competition, we were offering more game time and more money so not a difficult achievement. You could have signed them if you had a pen and paper.

I know some will say OH THIS IS ALL JUST MEDIA CRAP and Manu was never going to leave the Roosters etc etc etc but do you now that for sure ? Do you know 100% that NONE of this stuff is true? Doesn't ANY of this concern you in any way that maybe our recruitment team aren't quite as competent as you hope ?

For 2021 we're still gonna be stuck with a rookie coach, with average halves, an average hooker, and a slightly above average fullback who has no passing game but you seriously don't want us to spend decent money on attracting elite players in other positions IF we can get them with the ONLY incentive we have available to us - EXTRA MONEY. I don't know how you can be so patient to wait YEARS for us to be a top 4 team.

I just don't have faith in your strategy which firstly requires our recruitment team to be better than all those working for 15 other NRL teams at identifying the next potential super stars. Then even IF we identify players I don't have faith we can sign them ahead of more successful teams like the Roosters where they know they will receive better coaching etc. Then even if we miraculously happen to discover by chance the next David Fifita or Latrell Mitchell (when we could have bought the original by the way) then we have to hope they won't leave the next season for a more successful team who play finals each year - OR we'd have to pay them overs to stay - exactly the same kind of money we would have to pay established super stars from other teams to join our team so there's no real saving anyway if you wait all that time just in HOPE and develop a super star after the first year.

Don't praise our board for focusing on bringing up players from the lower grades either when they let go 3 of our best players from our premiership wining ISP (reserve grade) team including our "Player of the Year" in Lachlan Burr to sign in preference reserve forwards like Sue from the Tigers. What's the use of winning comps in lower grades if we then let the best players go ?

Pay has said many times this year he would like more talent - a marquee player like Ponga, he said publicly he'd like Ramien, Ese'ese and Api, or another 4 or 5 players like DWZ. I just can't see us signing any real talent even for 2021 now due to the recent failures of our recruitment team we've already seen as listed above. Pay's not getting the support he's crying out for publicly as a rookie coach. Are you for supporting our coach or our recruitment team ?

Last edited:

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Horse, is there 10,000 football club members now ?

When I joined not so many, thought it was around 2000 or so right now?

Well I must say it’s comforting to see the Board have the support of 51% of the Kennel.

This effectively translates to 90% support for the actual upcoming election due to absence of voting privileges for the average knucklehead on here.

How’s that rebel ticket coming along @Bulldogs09 @bradtalo @AlzzBulldog @wendog33
Time to rally chaps

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Horse, is there 10,000 football club members now ?

When I joined not so many, thought it was around 2000 or so right now?
Yeah I think you’re right it’s around 1800 but not sure how many have full voting rights yet.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't think people realise or care enough on both sides of the argument just how much we're all repeating ourselves and going round in circles and people are getting way too personal.

We can't do anything about it. Everything is out of our control.There are still four months til the start of next season so do we all really have that much time and energy to waste on here getting so worked up with one another until then?

I understand both sides of the argument and I'm as frustrated as anyone but all of this back and forth every day about the same topics, arguing with the same people is completely pointless....

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you for real? Seggy did fuck all at the Broncos then gets busted for drugs if anything that’s a tick for the board in avoiding signing him.
Hindsight now yes but "at that time" he was a better attacking option than JMK and Lichaa

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Our strategy is to re sign current players and hopefully land a big fish next year

Think the board got swooped up in our finish to the season

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hindsight now yes but "at that time" he was a better attacking option than JMK and Lichaa
No it was proven to be the right call. Seggy didn’t perform at the Broncos and while I’m not the biggest JMK fan he had a much better season then Seggy.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the key is in the title. The board is doing the best job they can but are they the most ideal people for the job.

They will have no problem being elected this time but next time around would love to see some people with business acumen, who have connection and smarts put their hands up. We need a mix of those types with some of the current board members.
First and foremost they must have some love not just (connections) for our club, IMHO Hasler came here for the money, I believe that he never had his heart in our club, and used back ended contracts to continually make the 8 and get his bonuses, his neglect of our juniors was criminal and proves my point. Anyone doubting it should watch and see how much better a coach he will be at Manly.
Many outsiders have also come to our club because they think/ know that our club is rich and a prime milking cow, there are many business people coaches players who hate our club. I would be very cauches about even letting some of them into the Leagues club premises.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
First and foremost they must have some love not just (connections) for our club, IMHO Hasler came here for the money, I believe that he never had his heart in our club, and used back ended contracts to continually make the 8 and get his bonuses, his neglect of our juniors was criminal and proves my point. Anyone doubting it should watch and see how much better a coach he will be at Manly.
Many outsiders have also come to our club because they think/ know that our club is rich and a prime milking cow, there are many business people coaches players who hate our club. I would be very cauches about even letting some of them into the Leagues club premises.
Agree 100% with what you said about Hasler. I think in his second year he was still referring to the club as them rather than us, his moving away from Manly was more an F you to them. He showed barely any genuine emotion or connection to the place.

Our supporter base is large and I'm sure there are business people/people with connections who have a genuine love for the place but I totally get what you're saying.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Do you understand how polls actually work ? If a poll on here shows around half those on here believe the board are failing how can you assume that most members agree with you ? I could just assume the same and say most members agree with me. The poll suggests that around 5,000 of the 10,000 members would also lack confidence in the current board.

When I and a few other on here were calling for Hasler's head well before the majority there were some who sounded exactly like you telling us that we were being impatient and it was the first time he'd missed the finals etc but we could see the writing on the wall already.

If the following doesn't cause you any concern then there's something wrong

- The majority on here knew we needed a replacement for Lichaa at least a year or 2 ago. (Did the board know ?). 2 young hookers were available in Brailey and Robinson but they were signed by the Knights and Titans. So we missed out on both. Did our recruitment team even speak to either of them ?
- Api was reportedly virtually signed, sealed and delivered but no we missed out on him last minute also.
- Why did we never sign Segeyaro even when he was without an NRL contract and working in a bar FFS
- Jake Turpin reportedly turned us down
- Corey Oates reportedly turned us down
- "Numerous" reports our club was hot for the Turbo brothers (how realistic) but they weren't even interested in talking to us
- Jesse Ramien turned us down
- Herman Ese'ese turned us down
- We send a rookie CEO who had no experience whatsoever in signing players over to the UK twice to negotiate with coach Justin Holbrook and player Luke Thompson. We missed out on Holbrook and we're still nowhere with Thompson obviously.
- "Leagues club" director (not Football club) George Coorey takes it upon himself (WHY ?) to talk to Mitchell in his own private home. Reports that members of the Football club were unhappy about this. Reports the board couldn't agree on a price. Official statement that we would not be making ANY official offer to Mitchell. Disharmony among our admin.
- Reports that Andrew Hill spoke to Semi Radradra about Dogs interest. Now there's reports Radradra is interested in returning to the NRL but with the "Rabbits".
- Joey Manu reportedly re-signed with the Roosters for 2 years only for around 650K a year. With a player like him I would have expected our club to make him a priority target to get in early. If he signed with the Roosters for unders for 2 years only seems he never received any real approach from the Dogs / potential offer that was too good to refuse. Why not ?

I know some will say OH THIS IS ALL JUST MEDIA CRAP and Manu was never going to leave the Roosters etyc etc etc but do you now that for sure ? Do you know 100% that NONE of this stuff is true? Doesn't ANY of this concern you in any way that maybe our recruitment team aren't quite as competent as you hope ?

For 2021 we're stuck with a rookie coach, with average halves, an average hooker, and a slightly above average fullback who has no passing game but you seriously don't want us to spend decent money on attracting elite players in other positions IF we can get them with the ONLY incentive we have available - EXTRA MONEY. I don't know how you can be so patient to wait YEARS for us to be a top 4 team.

I just don't have faith in your strategy of firstly our recruitment managers being better than all those working for 15 other NRL teams at identifying the next potential super stars. Even IF we identify them I don't have faith we can sign them ahead of more successful teams like the Roosters where they will receive better coaching etc. The even if we miraculously happen to uncover by chance the next David Fifita or Latrell Mitchell (when we could have bought the original by the way) then we have to hope they won't leave the next season to move to a more successful team who play finals each year - OR we'd have to pay them overs to stay anyway

Pay has said many times this year he would like more talent - a marquee player like Ponga, or another 4 or 5 players like DWZ. I just can't see it happening even for 2021 due to the failures we've already seen as listed above. Pay's not getting the support he's crying out for as a rookie coach.
Geez mate you really do buy all the media bullshit don’t you, they got you by the short and curly’s! I suggest you start mowing the front and back lawns bro! The media is full of shit and if you keep reciting their tripe I’m going to believe you are too.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Answer honestly, I wanna know what people really think of how they are doing, are they doing good or can they do a lot better. As a fan, if they are not actively pursuing the best players available, then they are not doing a good job
We just extended the contact of Chris Smith didn’t we

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We should assemble a team that is capable or in a position to be able to win the grand final every year.

Look at Melbourne, the roosters, nearly every year they are up for it.
I am not really interested in the power struggle arguments between the warring factions... Too pissed to care at the moment...But the part quoted above is what we all want.

Flash in the pans can be bought but dynasty’s take time, money, total commitment and a plan. Both the Roosters and Storm have that and I think we are building towards that again. We can and will make mistakes but we can’t afford to to lose focus.

I remember 79, 80 84 85 86 88 94 95 98 2004 2012 2014 Gf’s Some we won some we lost, but we were that team.

Fuck making the top four, fuck making a GF I want to be the club everyone hates for a reason. Because we win and we win often.

Last edited:

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
someone wearing a wire to a board meeting would be the ultimate fan experience

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geez mate you really do buy all the media bullshit don’t you, they got you by the short and curly’s! I suggest you start mowing the front and back lawns bro! The media is full of shit and if you keep reciting their tripe I’m going to believe you are too.
Some of it may be BS yes but to completely say 100% of it comes from no truth at all is just sticking your head in the sand and just as bad as believing in all of it.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just like we are arguing among ourselves have you ever thought maybe our board / recruitment team are just as split on opinion (as actually reported) and this could be causing a detriment in pursuing players.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Far out I come on here to have a good read and it’s the same questions over and over.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I just hope the Board meetings are not conducted along the same lines as the discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.