Chris Smith Re-signs

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Well Smith shouldn't have been on that list at all. I'm aware that there's still plenty of time to wrap those guys up but the longer they leave it, the more chance of another club showing interest in two young talents like them. So hopefully those two are a priority.
I’m sure they are. I’m not thrilled with the Smith signing but hoping he steps up and shows us all what others obviously see

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Its a minimum wage signing to make the numbers... We have had much worse forwards come through the club.
And that's the best justification you've got for taking up a Top 30 position?

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Maybe in order of priority it should.
With all due respect you need to learn a bit more about it. Negotiations can take considerable time due to factors such as the obvious ones like money, duration & terms but also waiting for meetings, managers, players on holidays/personal situations such as weddings, child birth etc and some players are just in no rush. Clubs make it clear who they would like to keep and do what they can to get things wrapped up as soon as possible.

If you did contract extensions in order as you suggest they would drag on the whole year. That is also unsettling for the team and players ready to sign may not want to wait

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And that's the best justification you've got for taking up a Top 30 position?
How many guys do we have that play lock and on an edge?

Jacko
Elliot
Smith
Doorey ( development contract )

Any suggestions?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Just don't like that kind of thinking you put up is all.

Would rather development youngsters or fostering Ogden, RT, Kalache etc than Smith etc type players who have peaked and we know already what they offer.

No one should be in Top 30 making up the numbers...

"A minimum wage signing to make the numbers... We have had much worse forwards come through the club'.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
James Roumanos as well.
Yes James too though I feel Doorey will be overtaking him in the back end of the year.. Regardless my point is there isn't much depth around the comp at that price and considering Smith is settled at the club then he most likely was the best option.

Last edited:

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just don't like that kind of thinking you put up is all.

Would rather development youngsters or fostering Ogden, RT, Kalache etc than Smith etc type players who have peaked and we know already what they offer.

No one should be in Top 30 making up the numbers...

"A minimum wage signing to make the numbers... We have had much worse forwards come through the club'.
We don't have the cash to buy a new team until our cap is completely sorted and its logical to see the end of Nov 2021 we will be our best position in YEARS. Its not necessarily thinking that way its about being patient and enjoying the theatre of watching the team grow and who makes the cut or not.

Ogden, RT and Kalache are props..

You need guys like Sue and Smith as back up and someone who can lead the reserves..
As much as I don't rate Smith and Sue they will or should be those guys, Its really not that hard to understand?​

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
So we are saying November 2021 now so 2022? Ffs lol makes Phil’s 5 year plan good.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
We don't have the cash to buy a new team until our cap is completely sorted and its logical to see the end of Nov 2021 we will be our best position in YEARS. Its not necessarily thinking that way its about being patient and enjoying the theatre of watching the team grow and who makes the cut or not.

Ogden, RT and Kalache are props..

You need guys like Sue and Smith as back up and someone who can lead the reserves..
As much as I don't rate Smith and Sue they will or should be those guys, Its really not that hard to understand?​
They wouldn't be props in most other teams nor Tolman. They should be back ups for 2ndrow/lock.

Thats why we dont need to te-sign players like nuggety, low impact Smith types.

We have too many small, stocky types who aren't agile enough and don't offload.

RT back into the 2ndrow now :grinning:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes James too though I feel Doorey will be overtaking him in the back end of the year.. Regardless my point is there isn't much depth around the comp at that price and considering Smith is settled at the club then he most likely was the best option.
The thing is no one knows if he will be the best option this time next year and they have already made that decision.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That and people are assuming it’s a minimal contract.

Nothing to support that, infact it’s almost supported the other way.

Why would a player sign on minimal for 2 seasons away when he could fluke some good games together and find someone desperate to pay even if only a 200k+ deal its almost double minimum....

Think people say it’s minimum to just support such a poor decision. As other people said it’s not like he has people banging down the door to recruit him. He’s a Fucking plodder.

2020 was still sufficient depth.

Why keep a roster spot in 2021 with the season to unfold for 2020 yet in both kids and late bloomers.

Poor decision and if it wasn’t minimal it’s a shocking decision (which based on the player taking it 2 seasons out suggest it isn’t)
How exactly is it supported the other way?

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The thing is no one knows if he will be the best option this time next year and they have already made that decision.
I get it though as I said earlier I don't think one player is going to make that much of a difference in the next 2 years.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So we are saying November 2021 now so 2022? Ffs lol makes Phil’s 5 year plan good.
Just do it once and do it properly.. we are half way through and doing ok, why would U fcuk up the process.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They wouldn't be props in most other teams nor Tolman. They should be back ups for 2ndrow/lock.

Thats why we dont need to te-sign players like nuggety, low impact Smith types.

We have too many small, stocky types who aren't agile enough and don't offload.

RT back into the 2ndrow now :grinning:
Obviously I understand the frustration but we need to work with what we got.

Ideally I would love Tolman on the bench but sadly his not signed on a min contract...

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I get it though as I said earlier I don't think one player is going to make that much of a difference in the next 2 years.
It's one player at the minute but who knows where it ends if we add a couple more like Tolman, Elliott and Sue then we are left with the same pack going forward.

Lets hope it doesn't play out like that but for Smith to be even thought of as a must keep player is concerning.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Basically we talking about the lock position.. U want an arrow or a martin
It's one player at the minute but who knows where it ends if we add a couple more like Tolman, Elliott and Sue then we are left with the same pack going forward.

Lets hope it doesn't play out like that but for Smith to be even thought of as a must keep player is concerning.
But its knowledge they will all be gone by 2022 with the new breed stepping up. We are stuck with these older heads for now. Even Smith is 25 and U never know he might be a late bloomer.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Basically we talking about the lock position.. U want an arrow or a martin

But its knowledge they will all be gone by 2022 with the new breed stepping up. We are stuck with these older heads for now. Even Smith is 25 and U never know he might be a late bloomer.
I don't get the impression that they will be gone by 2022 at all there's every chance they will be signed again.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

That is the crux of the concern. Extending him just not warranted at this time ...except to pass on an easy tidbit for the fans I guess.

These positions in our Top 30 are like gold and not to be squandered when we are desperately trying to be Top 4 quality.