Official Bulldogs contract list

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Who is off-contract and when is always a talking point in rugby league.

The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs confirmed earlier in the month their top 30 for the 2020 season.

The current NRL contracted squad stands at 29 players with one spot still available before the June 30 deadline.

Under the terms of the CBA between the NRL and RLPA, each club is required to have the contracts of a minimum of 24 players registered by November 1.

Clubs then have until March 1 to register 29 players and June 30 to finalise their top 30 squad.

Below is a list of how long the club's top 30 are signed for and when they come off contract.

PLAYER CONTRACTED SEASONS

Jake Averillo 2020, 2021

Dean Britt 2020, 2021

Jack Cogger 2020

Christian Crichton 2020, 2021

Adam Elliott 2020

Raymond Faitala-Mariner 2020

Kieran Foran 2020

Corey Harawira-Naera 2020, 2021, 2022

Morgan Harper 2020

Kerrod Holland 2020

Will Hopoate 2020

Josh Jackson 2020

Sione Katoa 2020, 2021

Lachlan Lewis 2020, 2021

Jeremy Marshall-King 2020, 2021

Nick Meaney 2020, 2021

Marcelo Montoya 2020

Dylan Napa 2020, 2021

Ofahiki Ogden 2020, 2021

Jayden Okunbor 2020, 2021

Chris Smith 2020, 2021

Reimis Smith 2020, 2021

Joe Stimson 2020, 2021, 2022

Sauaso Sue 2020

Isaiah Tass 2020

Aiden Tolman 2020

Renouf To'omaga 2020, 2021

Brandon Wakeham 2020

Dallin Watene-Zelezniak 2020, 2021, 2022

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2019/11/22/bulldogs-contract-list/

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I have no idea why we always put out our list early, I would be putting the 29 in on the deadline. Gives you no room to move.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I have no idea why we always put out our list early, I would be putting the 29 in on the deadline. Gives you no room to move.
It does seem as though it's the easy option...get it out of the way kinda thinking.

Makes it appear that it's set in stone and we have no wheeler and dealer philisophies within the Admin ready to jump on any opportunities that come up. Just my impression atm.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
One thing it would indicate is that we don’t have a lot of money to spend in 2020 which despite the club telling us that over and over it can’t be comprehended by some people

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
One thing it would indicate is that we don’t have a lot of money to spend in 2020 which despite the club telling us that over and over it can’t be comprehended by some people
Funny considering they openly went hard after Jesse Ramien, Apisai Koroisau and Ese'ese before being rejected by all three players for season 2020 and beyond.

Koroisau alone rejected our offer of in-excess of $500k a season before joining the Panthers and who really knows what we offered for the other two mentioned.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Funny considering they openly went hard after Jesse Ramien, Apisai Koroisau and Ese'ese before being rejected by all three players for season 2020 and beyond.

Koroisau alone rejected our offer of in-excess of $500k a season before joining the Panthers and who really knows what we offered for the other two mentioned.
Exactly, we couldn’t afford to pay them what they wanted. How do you know we offered in excess of 500k? We didn’t

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man mgt I’m guessing. The young squad knows who’s in and who’s out (bar one), so no stressing during pre-season and sole concentration on training.

And I’m guessing their hoping for another DWZ signing to fill spot 30

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Exactly. Dumbest thing you can do is all but confirm your roster so soon. Imagine if a Pearce type of player becomes available. But you don’t have a spot in your 30 because you’ve filled it with Wakeman, Tass, Montoya, Meaney, katoa, crighton, averillio, Harper.

and then imagine a player (e.g Foran) is out for the season. Or someone rips in at training and the trials. You are hand strung from bringing them in unless you get several injuries and apply for a concession.

It’s just in professionalism at its finest. Really wish the board and coach can pull something out of the hat because our roster isn’t that great. And we can’t rely on all the young kids to step up and kill it.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Exactly. Dumbest thing you can do is all but confirm your roster so soon. Imagine if a Pearce type of player becomes available. But you don’t have a spot in your 30 because you’ve filled it with Wakeman, Tass, Montoya, Meaney, katoa, crighton, averillio, Harper.

and then imagine a player (e.g Foran) is out for the season. Or someone rips in at training and the trials. You are hand strung from bringing them in unless you get several injuries and apply for a concession.

It’s just in professionalism at its finest. Really wish the board and coach can pull something out of the hat because our roster isn’t that great. And we can’t rely on all the young kids to step up and kill it.
Can always move players on
Gets done all the time and every year

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Can always move players on
Gets done all the time and every year
But unless someone picks them up. You end up buying out their contract. Not ideal when you have a salary cap. Especially because March is 4 months away and July is 8 months away.

Seems they pulled the trigger too early or they actually have no intention or money to bring in anyone else.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
But unless someone picks them up. You end up buying out their contract. Not ideal when you have a salary cap. Especially because March is 4 months away and July is 8 months away.

Seems they pulled the trigger too early or they actually have no intention or money to bring in anyone else.
You can't buy out contracts (unless it's mutual - which it isn't 99% of the time, I think Ramien is a recent example and even then he walked?). You have to keep them or pay towards their contract somewhere else. Otherwise we'd buy out Foran's contract...

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You can't buy out contracts (unless it's mutual - which it isn't 99% of the time, I think Ramien is a recent example and even then he walked?). You have to keep them or pay towards their contract somewhere else. Otherwise we'd buy out Foran's contract...
You can just release them whether they agree or not and get that squad spot back. But you would have to pay them whatever was left on their deal. So essentially you'd have dead money in the cap for that year.. They did this last season when they released Olive and the other player who I can't remember right now...

All of this makes re-signing Chris Smith now even dumber because if we wanted his roster spot because another DWZ type player became available, we'd have to pay him out for two years instead of one...

The more unnecessary re-signings like Smith they make just limits the flexibility and options they have moving forward.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Everyone knows they have minimum money to spend for this season ....
Well documented

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

So how do you really know these players rejected us? That’s the real question here, the truth is that you don’t know you are only going off media reports like the rest of the plebs. Perhaps our club rejected them because they did some digging and found out their attitudes weren’t right for the culture we are trying to build! We are a proud club and it wouldn’t be the first time we’ve pulled out of signing a marquee player hence Andrew Fifita etc maybe they were meatheads and up themselves just like him?

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So how do you really know these players rejected us? That’s the real question here, the truth is that you don’t know you are only going off media reports like the rest of the plebs. Perhaps our club rejected them because they did some digging and found out their attitudes weren’t right for the culture we are trying to build! We are a proud club and it wouldn’t be the first time we’ve pulled out of signing a marquee player hence Andrew Fifita etc maybe they were meatheads and up themselves just like him?
Because Officials from the Bulldogs have actually come out and stated that they thought they had Api until he did indeed decided to take the Panthers offer.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Because Officials from the Bulldogs have actually come out and stated that they thought they had Api until he did indeed decided to take the Panthers offer.
The club has Pity Fool wrapped around their finger. I wouldn't bother. It's never us always someone else!

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The club has Pity Fool wrapped around their finger. I wouldn't bother. It's never us always someone else!
The Bulldogs as a club does yes, I was born and bred in Bankstown, have followed the Dogs my whole life, and have been a season ticket holder for 11 years! The people running the club however do not have me wrapped around their finger, they still have to prove to me as a loyal Bulldog fan that they have what it takes to take us back to the glory days of old! At least I have the patience to give those people the benefit of the doubt, unlike your trolling self! You are entitled to your opinion and if you don’t like my opinion you can go and get F**cked!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
The Bulldogs as a club does yes, I was born and bred in Bankstown, have followed the Dogs my whole life, and have been a season ticket holder for 11 years! The people running the club however do not have me wrapped around their finger, they still have to prove to me as a loyal Bulldog fan that they have what it takes to take us back to the glory days of old! At least I have the patience to give those people the benefit of the doubt, unlike your trolling self! You are entitled to your opinion and if you don’t like my opinion you can go and get F**cked!
Well it depends what you mean by patience. I'm giving the club until the start of next season personally. I can only judge on what I've seen and heard so far. There are issues we're facing regarding recruitment (e.g. attracting). The longer we wait the more top and emerging players available for 2021 will get locked up. As soon as I start to see something positive regarding recruitment I'll be praising the board. I'm not going to be a blind supporter tho.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Who? Who said that?