NRL 2020: Golden point structure set for shake-up next season

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/news/nrl-2020-golden-point-rules/90z4bhzskwme1bv0cq6ts41mf

The NRL is set to change the rules surrounding games drawn after 80 minutes following criticism of the golden point format in recent times.

From next season onwards, teams will reportedly no longer walk away from a game in which they lose in golden point with no competition points.

"NRL coaches were today informed of a proposed shake-up to the way competition points are awarded for games decided in golden point," Nine News reported on Friday.

"While the details are still being finalised, the plan is that the losing team won't go home empty-handed."

Currently, there are only two competition points on offer in each game, with the winner earning two and the loser getting nothing.

A match which is drawn after 80 minutes and no golden point is scored in the extra time sees each side leave with one point.

Since the introduction of golden point ahead of the 2003 season, just over seven matches per season have been decided by the format.

The potential change could see a shake-up to the way competition points are structured - switching to the system used in the AFL where four points are awarded for a win has been suggested.

That could see golden-point wins earn three points, while the losing team would still get one.

It's not yet known just what changes will be introduced, though discussions around the issue have existed for some time.

As a counter point, Dean Ritchie pointed out several issues with the potential changes earlier this year, saying the format should be kept as is or scrapped altogether.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I actually wanted golden point scrapped altogether, but this is the next best result IMO.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hate golden point.

IMO, draws in rounds, for finals have 10min ET each way, then if needed 10min each way golden try (goals and field goals count but don’t end the game).

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Draw is a draw. You should be good enough to outscore your opponent in 80 mins just like the rest of the teams in the round. Award 1 point each to the teams. Bring back extra time in the finals, just like 98.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I'm starting to hate this game fucking over the dumb ***** in charge...
IF YOU LOSE BETTER LUCK NEXT WEEK !!!
Eg. Team 1v2 battle it out in the game of the season with team 1 slotting a field goal right on the buzzer and winning the game of the season... Even though the loser played an epic Game they walk away with nothing.
Now compare that with some trash ass teams battling it out in golden point and both walking away with points... It's an illusion to try make the comp look closer and fairer but...ALL THIS DOES IS FURTHER IMBALANCE A COMP WHERE TEAMS DONT EVEN PLAY EACH OTHER TWICE
Anyone who thinks this is a good idea is a goose.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Also what dictates a team that wins golden point deserves 3 points FFS... So they are saying that hey Roosters or Melbourne it's good you won by 40 points against a top 8 side but you only get 2 points. However that shit club that had a draw at 80mins and only scored one try they won in golden point and now get 3 points lol...
I would be filthy if we lost a top 8, top 4, or a home final scenario due to playing a great game and having some shit side draw and jump us by 1 point. It's Murphy's Law and it will happen to someone if they make the stupid change.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Golden point has always been the dumbest rule.... that Broncos Cowboys GF for example.. should have at least let them play both of the extra time halves to determine a winner rather than GP

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Should do it like the NHL does. If it goes to overtime both teams get a point then if someone wins it in overtime they get the extra point

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’ll probably be as follows:

4 points - regular time win
3 points - GP win
1 point - draw / GP loss

A win is a win. I don’t get how a GP win is worth any less than a normal win.

I also don’t think a team should be rewarded for losing. Just keep it as it currently is. There’s no need to change and over complicate it.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would rather they scrap golden point altogether - a draw is a draw - one point each.

Last edited:

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The question than is why bother playing 90min for a 3-point win? The 90min team worked harder than the 80min team that got the full 4-points.

I get that Golden Point is a TV winner and crowd favourite, so it has to stay. I believe simply changing it to Golden Try is the fairest and most entertaining way of keeping it. Let's not change point systems.

I'm sure everyone's done with watching dropout fests.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Golden try, unlimited time :smilingimp:. Draws are horrible I don't want to see them personally. It's just such a flat ending. I'd rather end on a high or low... Golden point brings a lot of excitement, pressure and added fatigue no way I see it going.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Golden point has always been the dumbest rule.... that Broncos Cowboys GF for example.. should have at least let them play both of the extra time halves to determine a winner rather than GP
I hate your guts. :p

You had to remind me.

The game is still fresh in my mind. :cry:

Goes back into therapy.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Fuck me, do they want anyone to watch the game at all anymore? Stop destroying the game!

Scrap golden point all together. How is it exciting? A series of 45 metre field goal attempts that don't even go close? The refs never blowing a penalty because they have no balls no matter how obvious the indiscretion is? Yeah, real entertaining!

How is losing in the 81st minute worthy of one competition point but losing in the 80th minute isn't? A loss is a loss you fucking muppets!!

A smarter change if they kept golden point and wanted to change it up would be to reduce each team to 12 on 12 to open it up and make it more exciting like they do in Ice Hockey.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Fuck me, do they want anyone to watch the game at all anymore? Stop destroying the game!

Scrap golden point all together. How is it exciting? A series of 45 metre field goal attempts that don't even go close? The refs never blowing a penalty because they have no balls no matter how obvious the indiscretion is? Yeah, real entertaining!

How is losing in the 81st minute worthy of one competition point but losing in the 80th minute isn't? A loss is a loss you fucking muppets!!

A smarter change if they kept golden point and wanted to change it up would be to reduce each team to 12 on 12 to open it up and make it more exciting like they do in Ice Hockey.
First of all it should be refereed the same as normal time. Secondly change it to golden try. Thirdly I'd still give the losing team nothing. I think there is a bigger problem in the game not allowing the game to open up (wrestling).

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
First of all it should be refereed the same as normal time. Secondly change it to golden try. Thirdly I'd still give the losing team nothing. I think there is a bigger problem in the game not allowing the game to open up (wrestling).
It should be but we all know it isn't and it will never be because they're too scared to make a decision.

Golden try could have them playing for an extra 30 minutes if its 13 on 13. Either scrap golden point or make it 12 on 12 so teams are more likely to score.

I agree. A loss is a loss and you shouldn't get any points at all.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here’s what I’d like:

12v12 Golden try with 5 minute halves.

If it’s still a draw, a goal kicking shootout will follow from 15 out, directly in front.