bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You’re usually spot on and I always respect you’re opinion
But the statement “we can’t afford him”
What are u basing that on, if u don’t mind me asking.
Is that you’re personal opinion or has someone told u from inside of this.
I was told weeks before it hit the media of the proposed 10 year 10 mill deal which equates to the mill a year he’s after.
Having to fit him in next year would be an issue considering our current situation?

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Having to fit him in next year would be an issue considering our current situation?
Yeah no-one was expecting him to be available for 2020. Based on what was apparently left prior to our re-signing spree I believe the figure left for 2020 was 400k, add Foran's 350k to that then I think 750k for 2020 is atleast something near the ball park and top it up a little bit in the years afterwards.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd understand that more if the message had changed or if targets had been missed or if it were true that there was evidence of 'lies' 'incompetence' and my personal favourite 'corruption' by the club's administration.
There's simply none of this. The message since the change of leadership has been clear and has never wavered - which is why I've consistently (and probably annoyingly so) said 'give it / give them time'.

Of course all true Dogs fans hate to see the club at such a low point.
Of course we need to strengthen the squad.
There's simply no panacea.
The numbers don't lie - and a different set of directors would have the same problems.
I just wish more people understood this - or weren't automatically suspicious that it is somehow not true / a cover up / a conspiracy / an agenda or whatever the bleaters latest charge is.
Let's assume things take a turn for the better by season 2021 (and I believe they will). Can't wait to see what some of the bleaters have to say then (I suspect many will simply disappear).
But you're right (Belmore bird shit) - some people are just never happy. The Powerball could drop into their laps and they'd complain it creased their jeans...
I get what the board have said, and I’m sure if it comes off I’ll be really happy. But...

1. I really hope putting faith in juniors and treating everyone like family doesn’t result in certain players that are barely (or not even) FG standard being kept whilst obviously-better players from outside the “family” and are asking for more money being disregarded or ignored.

2. I’m an impatient bastard when it comes to footy, and I’m really, really sick of being an also-ran and seen as a joke by other clubs. They can hate us, sure...just so long as they fear us as well

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I was told weeks before it hit the media of the proposed 10 year 10 mill deal which equates to the mill a year he’s after.
Cheers mate. Not my opinion and can PM you if you’d like. I was told that 10 year deal was media talk and no offer was made

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Voices in his head

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yeah no-one was expecting him to be available for 2020. Based on what was apparently left prior to our re-signing spree I believe the figure left for 2020 was 400k, add Foran's 350k to that then I think 750k for 2020 is atleast something near the ball park and top it up a little bit in the years afterwards.
That’s right. We didn’t have the Foran money and still don’t. He doesn’t want 800k though, he wants a million. Who knows if the tigers drop off with their big offer and he has to lower his asking price.

We thought he wouldn’t be available until 2021 and then the roosters stated they would release him. I haven’t seen any evidence that for the first time the roosters were willing to pay anything to move him on let alone the 350k rubbish

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I get what the board have said, and I’m sure if it comes off I’ll be really happy. But...

1. I really hope putting faith in juniors and treating everyone like family doesn’t result in certain players that are barely (or not even) FG standard being kept whilst obviously-better players from outside the “family” and are asking for more money being disregarded or ignored.

2. I’m an impatient bastard when it comes to footy, and I’m really, really sick of being an also-ran and seen as a joke by other clubs. They can hate us, sure...just so long as they fear us as well
Very fair comments mate.
Yes, there's a balance for sure, but at the end of the day, family or not - it's like any job, you're either a fit for the culture or you're not. If not, you don't get employed or you resign and go somewhere else.
The retention of Chris Smith is the first one I've questioned and others have made their arguments agreeing or disagreeing with that - many of them with merit.
It's a tough balance - and we all have 20/20 hindsight - letting Finucane go to retain Eastwood, letting Cook go for Liccha.
No doubt it will happen again - we'll look back and say 'how did that ever happen?'

We all hate seeing our club go through this tough time - it's hard to watch.
But thick and thin - we've gotta support them in good times and bad.
I believe we're on our way back and that siege mentality will return where other teams don't like playing us because regardless of our skill with 'marquee' (hate that term in a team sport) players - we are in it together.
I think we saw that really emerging towards the end of 2019. Bring on 2020.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'd understand that more if the message had changed or if targets had been missed or if it were true that there was evidence of 'lies' 'incompetence' and my personal favourite 'corruption' by the club's administration.
There's simply none of this. The message since the change of leadership has been clear and has never wavered - which is why I've consistently (and probably annoyingly so) said 'give it / give them time'.

Of course all true Dogs fans hate to see the club at such a low point.
Of course we need to strengthen the squad.
There's simply no panacea.
The numbers don't lie - and a different set of directors would have the same problems.
I just wish more people understood this - or weren't automatically suspicious that it is somehow not true / a cover up / a conspiracy / an agenda or whatever the bleaters latest charge is.
Let's assume things take a turn for the better by season 2021 (and I believe they will). Can't wait to see what some of the bleaters have to say then (I suspect many will simply disappear).
But you're right (Belmore bird shit) - some people are just never happy. The Powerball could drop into their laps and they'd complain it creased their jeans...
We have to be Fair Dinkum to be Dogs and a Certified Group to be exceptional otherwise D Voice should rise :-)
Beware of failures...Bleating will become a Roar, the Roar will become a Bite :fearful:
Beware of failures or Dog will eat Dog :anguished:

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
We have to be Fair Dinkum to be Dogs and a Certified Group to be exceptional otherwise D Voice should rise :-)
Beware of failures...Bleating will become a Roar, the Roar will become a Bite :fearful:
Beware of failures or Dog will eat Dog :anguished:
18C4F2E3-05B0-459F-BA40-10B45669413A.jpeg

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
100% right
Doesn’t need a rocket scientist surely

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Reports on other social media that LM actually initialised first contact with us and sort us out? Anyone have info on that?

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
About it so far. Ready for another long season.
2 more long seasons....

next year was expected to be not a lot different...maybe a little better, 2021 was when we were to be free of all the salary cap drama and be a huge player in the market, that market has now been open for a month and we have only re-signed deadwood (although happy with DWZ extension) and the only statements we have had from the board is that we aren't interested in this player or that player

many on here seem to think we sign players for the 2021 in 2020 which isn't true, the only players you pick up in 2020 for 2021 is the dregs of what is unwanted or the odd unhappy player granted a release (not a great way to plan your 2021 recruitment hopes on), the only cash we have thrown about seem to have been for Hill to travel to the UK twice for reasons unknown

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We can have the biggest war chest in the comp. Doesn’t matter. Players don’t want to play for us :(

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
2 more long seasons....

next year was expected to be not a lot different...maybe a little better, 2021 was when we were to be free of all the salary cap drama and be a huge player in the market, that market has now been open for a month and we have only re-signed deadwood (although happy with DWZ extension) and the only statements we have had from the board is that we aren't interested in this player or that player

many on here seem to think we sign players for the 2021 in 2020 which isn't true, the only players you pick up in 2020 for 2021 is the dregs of what is unwanted or the odd unhappy player granted a release (not a great way to plan your 2021 recruitment hopes on), the only cash we have thrown about seem to have been for Hill to travel to the UK twice for reasons unknown
Mate I completely agree.

It seems most do except the little posse who are pushing their agenda

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
We can have the biggest war chest in the comp. Doesn’t matter. Players don’t want to play for us :(
Either that or we aren’t doing much of a job attempting to recruit. If we have had a league member hosting things at his house to then have the board fight about it all it doesn’t exactly sound good for us. Nor would that make anyone overly enthusiastic for us.