Opinion Are the board doing the best job they can?

Are the board doing the best job they can?

• Yes

Votes: 54 65.1%
  • No

Votes: 29 34.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Answer honestly, I wanna know what people really think of how they are doing, are they doing good or can they do a lot better. As a fan, if they are not actively pursuing the best players available, then they are not doing a good job

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
There was times I thought YES from things heard.. and was very positive, thinking they are going to do the unthinkable lol, but then it all lost momentum, came to a stand still and it’s looking or feeling no different..!!!

they need to be active, they need to be transparent by letting us know the plans etc and things need to change, we all need to see it happen, slow an steady used to win the race lol.. but this is too SLOW.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
It's too early to judge but they do need to get a move on otherwise all the talent for 2021 will be locked up. We've already wasted (?) 1/5 of the transfer window. They've also missed out on Latrell who I thought was the most ideal signing we could make. I'll vote no because of this but I could easily have my opinion changed before the start of next season (hopefully sooner). I can only judge of what I'm seeing and hearing (and people interpret this differently). I don't want us to continue picking up scraps tho and if our goal is to be competitive for 2021 I don't think we can continue to recruit and rely on this.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
It's too early to judge but they do need to get a move on otherwise all the talent for 2021 will be locked up. We've already wasted (?) 1/5 of the transfer window. They've also missed out on Latrell who I thought was the most ideal signing we could make. I'll vote no because of this but I could easily have my opinion changed before the start of next season (hopefully sooner). I can only judge of what I'm seeing and hearing (and people interpret this differently). I don't want us to continue picking up scraps tho and if our goal is to be competitive for 2021 I don't think we can continue to recruit and rely on this.
I believe they are doing a good job, they have a great plan in place, only problem is when you’re rebuilding these plans take time and quite a few disgruntled fans become too impatient and start the dribble, bitching and moaning instead of supporting and encouraging!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I believe they are doing a good job, they have a great plan in place, only problem is when you’re rebuilding these plans take time and quite a few disgruntled fans become too impatient and start the dribble, bitching and moaning instead of supporting and encouraging!
What is that great plan? Is 2021 our target year to be competitive or not? From what I've heard it is. Some people do go too far tho. I'd say from your comment you're too far in the other direction. I assume you're relying on hope and belief. I'm a realist so I just go off what I'm seeing and when I see something maybe I'll change my opinion or view on some things. It's a wait and see for me. Fans are allowed to have their say regardless if it's positive or 'negative'. You should watch ArsenalFanTV. At the end of the day we all want to be successful (not too successful as that's boring) we just see and express this in different ways.

Last edited:

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
My job forces me to make decisions based on the information at hand. When we were clearing the decks I thought they did excellent and sped up our salary cap mess by about 18 months BUT they've done nothing with it from what I can tell. For me they did the first part well but seemed to have faltered on this most important part. IMO they should have had a marquee signing ready to go for the 2021 season as soon as the Nov 1 deadline opened. This would have shown strength and intention but also shown the players out there that the Dogs are on the up again. Nothing thus far is showing people that. The general consensus would still be that we are cactus.

They are being too timid and if some reports are true they are split and can't agree on players. Some people are approaching players without anyone knowing and it's turning to shite. Jobs are vacant and not filled, they aren't cohesive and they're not pulling in the same direction. Would Uncle Nick be prioritising C. Smith's signature? Fuk no, he wouldn't even be in their under 10's team. What did he (Uncle Nick) do a couple of years ago when he already had the best team, he went out and got Cooper then won 2 premierships back to back.

Have our board thought outside the box? Did they call Cam Smith who is apparently a halfback next year........did they call and say mate, we need you to come an lead us back to the top? Addo Carr apparently wants to come to Sydney, are we courting him? Media is media but the names we get linked to are BJ, Friend and Frawley. Our guys need to up the ante and get aggressive because sitting back and watching all the players sign everywhere else while we re-sign the ones that contend for the wooden spoon will not get us anywhere!

Stage 1 - PASS,
Stage 2 - FAIL so far.

I voted NO based on the info available to me.

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Answer honestly, I wanna know what people really think of how they are doing, are they doing good or can they do a lot better. As a fan, if they are not actively pursuing the best players available, then they are not doing a good job
Just take a break from this bullshit. Regardless of whether you think the board is making bad calls, you are in no position to know what is happening behind the scenes. You have no idea what criteria they're following in the recruits they are chasing. Most of your posts, polls and threads are virtually the same negative crap.

I'm really getting sick of seeing the same few people constantly spewing forth negative crap before it's even warranted.

For a team that had to dump players and pay portions of their salary to even be cap compliant, we've recruited really fucking well until this point. Recruiting takes time. The media are very good at drumming up a sense of urgency around the recruitment of the highest profile players. But I'm pretty certain that the majority of players are not feeling the same sense of urgency to get their contracts locked in place for season 2021. They're either just getting back from their holidays and into training again or planning their short Christmas break.

Signings will happen when they happen. It means very little to the board or potential recruits if you are impatient about the timeline.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There was times I thought YES from things heard.. and was very positive, thinking they are going to do the unthinkable lol, but then it all lost momentum, came to a stand still and it’s looking or feeling no different..!!!

they need to be active, they need to be transparent by letting us know the plans etc and things need to change, we all need to see it happen, slow an steady used to win the race lol.. but this is too SLOW.
Transparency to fans is a poor thing in player recruitment. So many players right now would be returning from holidays. Many of them have probably tried to keep football decision from disrupting their down time. Aside from a contract for a 19yo the tigers just got signed I've not heard of anyone else changing clubs yet. So this puts the tigers a short step ahead on the recruitment race. We're on an even level with every other club right now.

My job forces me to make decisions based on the information at hand. When we were clearing the decks I thought they did excellent and sped up our salary cap mess by about 18 months BUT they've done nothing with it from what I can tell. For me they did the first part well but seemed to have faltered on this most important part. IMO they should have had a marquee signing ready to go for the 2021 season as soon as the Nov 1 deadline opened. This would have shown strength and intention but also shown the players out there that the Dogs are on the up again. Nothing thus far is showing people that. The general consensus would still be that we are cactus.

They are being too timid and if some reports are true they are split and can't agree on players. Some people are approaching players without anyone knowing and it's turning to shite. Jobs are vacant and not filled, they aren't cohesive and they're not pulling in the same direction. Would Uncle Nick be prioritising C. Smith's signature? Fuk no, he wouldn't even be in their under 10's team. What did he (Uncle Nick) do a couple of years ago when he already had the best team, he went out and got Cooper then won 2 premierships back to back.

Have our board thought outside the box? Did they call Cam Smith who is apparently a halfback next year........did they call and say mate, we need you to come an lead us back to the top? Addo Carr apparently wants to come to Sydney, are we courting him? Media is media but the names we get linked to are BJ, Friend and Frawley. Our guys need to up the ante and get aggressive because sitting back and watching all the players sign everywhere else while we re-sign the ones that contend for the wooden spoon will not get us anywhere!

Stage 1 - PASS,
Stage 2 - FAIL so far.

I voted NO based on the info available to me.
Just going off your closing sentence, the only bit of information the club have definitively given is that they're not chasing Mitchell based on the prices being mentioned in the media. I for one am pleased about that. If we're giving the impression of desperation (because offering a centre a million is a show of desperation in my eyes) we weaken our negotiating position with many players. We might have a few quality centres in our sights. If they are under the impression that we can throw Mitchell a million they're far more likely to have high expectations of earning far more than they're potentially worth.

Negotiations are like a game of cards. If you put all your cards on show you will lose. In my opinion Mitchell has played a very poor hand. I think he's gone all in too soon and scared people off. We're hopefully playing a smart hand. Wouldn't surprise me if we have some signatures already but are keeping it quiet for the time being while we continue to lock up our own players.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Transparency to fans is a poor thing in player recruitment. So many players right now would be returning from holidays. Many of them have probably tried to keep football decision from disrupting their down time. Aside from a contract for a 19yo the tigers just got signed I've not heard of anyone else changing clubs yet. So this puts the tigers a short step ahead on the recruitment race. We're on an even level with every other club right now.

Just going off your closing sentence, the only bit of information the club have definitively given is that they're not chasing Mitchell based on the prices being mentioned in the media. I for one am pleased about that. If we're giving the impression of desperation (because offering a centre a million is a show of desperation in my eyes) we weaken our negotiating position with many players. We might have a few quality centres in our sights. If they are under the impression that we can throw Mitchell a million they're far more likely to have high expectations of earning far more than they're potentially worth.

Negotiations are like a game of cards. If you put all your cards on show you will lose. In my opinion Mitchell has played a very poor hand. I think he's gone all in too soon and scared people off. We're hopefully playing a smart hand. Wouldn't surprise me if we have some signatures already but are keeping it quiet for the time being while we continue to lock up our own players.
Hope your right. For the record I wouldn't have offered LM a mil either BUT I would be coming in late now that all of his options appear to have walked and put in a "reasonable" offer. I still think that a lot of this media stuff has been Uncle Nick's doing and completely gutless. I think a LM with a point to prove could be very handy indeed, especially when playing against his old club. Something every ex-dog has seemed to do against us.

BlackJackBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how many other clubs have officially announced marquee, or high profile, club switch signings for the 2021 season?

I do agree that on the surface we do "seem" to be going no where in regards to signing new talent, new senior staff and a new major sponsor...

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Panic signings have all turned to shite for us, Foran is a CLASSIC example which we should learn from, and there has been many others.
The players we currently have on our roster are predominately young and have upside, so 2020 could surprise even without any marque signing.
I'm glad we didn't sign LM , IMHO it would have been a panic signing .
(1) I very much doubt he would have had his heart in it, and its likely his attitude would have been disruptive to the team.
(2) Far to much money.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think the key is in the title. The board is doing the best job they can but are they the most ideal people for the job.

They will have no problem being elected this time but next time around would love to see some people with business acumen, who have connection and smarts put their hands up. We need a mix of those types with some of the current board members.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Panic signings have all turned to shite for us, Foran is a CLASSIC example which we should learn from, and there has been many others.
The players we currently have on our roster are predominately young and have upside, so 2020 could surprise even without any marque signing.
I'm glad we didn't sign LM , IMHO it would have been a panic signing .
(1) I very much doubt he would have had his heart in it, and its likely his attitude would have been disruptive to the team.
(2) Far to much money.
Its got Barba/Foran all it..

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think so.. few good signings over the past year and there is clearly a good vibe around the club which was reflected in the way the team was putting in for the jersey all year, even when results weren't going well

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Stupid question posed by - gee - no surprise. Must’ve got some help with having a second sentence.

What elected office holder in this position wouldn’t ‘do the best job they can’ - in a relatively high profile and majorly political environment with obvious scrutiny? Anyone who didn’t ‘do their best’ would be exposed very quickly.

This clown has no idea how boards work. Recruitment and retention would be 1 of probably a dozen priorities for the directors. And even then it would likely be represented (Chaired) by ONE board member who would work with the other members of said committee.

They have NO obligation to report publicly what they are doing - CBRLFC is not a public company. They do however offer 2 member forums per year to share information. Do you complain about and demand to know what the board of your local RSL are up to because the schnitty price went up or that they no longer stock your favourite drink? Business decisions are made by the office holders in the best interests of the company and they do not have to explain each one to the bleaters.

Any director who disagrees with the strategy or is no longer fit to hold that position for whatever reason resigns and is replaced.

Business is almost NEVER black and white. There are nearly always mitigating circumstances as to why decisions are made and why things do or don’t happen.

I’d challenge any of the bleaters to have a go themselves - we’d see the outcome very quickly - most likely for the worse for the business. Even with different directors and adding higher profile people or those with ‘better’ business nous - the numbers don’t lie and road back from the mess the previous administration left is exactly that. There’s no magic bullet, there’s no ‘sign player X and all your problems are solved’.

Get a grip bleaters.
There simply has not been adequate time to implement a recovery plan - and of course there’s been issues along the way - life is full of complications and disruptions none of us plan.

Those of you expecting a wand to be waved and a premiership landing in Belmore quickly are going to be disappointed or frankly are deluded. This is the long game and those without the stamina can find another hobby.

Personally I will only judge this administration by the end of 2020 at the earliest for well documented reasons by myself and others. Possibly even mid 2021.

If by then we are not seeing results benefitting the business, the team and the brand, I will absolutely support them being replaced in early 2022.

In the mean time, it’s all hands to the pump and get on with the job.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how many other clubs have officially announced marquee, or high profile, club switch signings for the 2021 season?
Answer is zero and the reasons are two-pronged.

1. We are still almost 18 months out from Round 1 of 2021. And barely a few weeks into the negotiation/signing window.
2. Even if a 2021 signing is sealed, it may be kept under wraps until deep into 2020 in order to prevent disruptions to the respective clubs involved.

As @Alan79 mentioned above, the Board has done a remarkable job to even get us into this position to strike on the open market right now.

I guess many here would rather still have overpaid hacks such as Mbye, Woods and co on the books delivering mediocre results, and be in a position to sign no one?

This Board is a proactive yet responsible one. Our work in the market to date under challenging conditions with limited resources has been superb. The 2021 signings will come, just stay patient for the reasons above.

Status
Not open for further replies.