Semi-Interested?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
John ribot and David Smith were also mentioned
Yes they were - thanks mate, now I remember it was you who suggested the names and I'm glad someone actually did!

Smith was sacked as NRL CEO, would he want anything to do with the game again? Is his reputation tarnished? (granted, his nemesis John Grant is now gone too).
If anything I would've thought he'd do a Gallop and maybe try another code - but I don't know what he's up to - maybe gone back to banking?
As for Ribot - it's been nearly 25 years since Super League but does he still have any enemies in the NSWRL/QRL/ARL/NRL? They've probably all moved on, but he still might be persona non grata there. I also don't know what he's been doing business wise since then.
So I'm not saying either are bad suggestions - just some due diligence would be required.
From February, there will be one board seat available when Steve Mortimer goes - will be interesting to see who puts their hand up.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Steve Waugh and/or Craig Emerson for some clout.
Tugga would be a huge win, but I think he's currently working with CA. Bankstown boy and Dogs supporter to boot. Sat next to him on a flight home from India once where he'd been doing charity work. He's a hero in India because of his cricketing days. Outstanding human.
Gail Kelly also comes to mind - former CEO of Westpac, a high quality leader and gets things done.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Tugga would be a huge win, but I think he's currently working with CA. Bankstown boy and Dogs supporter to boot. Sat next to him on a flight home from India once where he'd been doing charity work. He's a hero in India because of his cricketing days. Outstanding human.
Gail Kelly also comes to mind - former CEO of Westpac, a high quality leader and gets things done.
Just finished reading one of his books on making your own luck.

If we can't invite him onto the Board (we should) then at least get him to talk to the squad and be a mentor and club ambassador....very inspirational guy.

Time to add some real quality about the place.

Kennelnator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard from a colleague this arvo that we are in the box seat to nab Joey Leilua and Josh Reynolds

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I’ll file that in the same place as Frawley.
That is: I bloody hope not.
It is a massive step up from Frawley tho... Leilua makes a lot of sense if we look at our previous recruitment/player's we've tried to recruit. The link is there. It's very possible. We'll start the backs shake-up/circus so other clubs can strengthen their rosters with who they want.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I heard from a colleague this arvo that we are in the box seat to nab Joey Leilua and Josh Reynolds
So if that's the case we could have Eliiot at lock with Smith and Reynolds in the bench... God help us

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Things are looking up...a signing...no 2 signings. What a plan :grinning:

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Mate you’re getting into a lather over media speculation and nothing else.

But to address your point:
Who’s the alternative?

Bleat all you like, but like the rest of the bleaters you fail to talk alternatives.

I’m neither pro or anti board.
I think they’ve done a good job generally given what they inherited. Perfect? No, no such thing.

But for those so unhappy, how about some constructive suggestions as to who could join the club’s management, what roles they could play and what difference they can make.

Interested to hear your suggestions.
Let's hope all our concerns about the board and management are soon forgotten, Stability and success will bring that !
Stability is needed but...
Hypothetically speaking, if we end up in a worse situation than were at 2017, failing team rebuild not replacing our major sponsor or fail to attract TPAs,
Do you think we will be doomed as if there is no one left in the world to take over,
I don't think so !!!
Like or dislike the board, they have to be given a fair time frame to succeed
If given too much time it would be like applauding their failure !!!

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes they were - thanks mate, now I remember it was you who suggested the names and I'm glad someone actually did!

Smith was sacked as NRL CEO, would he want anything to do with the game again? Is his reputation tarnished? (granted, his nemesis John Grant is now gone too).
If anything I would've thought he'd do a Gallop and maybe try another code - but I don't know what he's up to - maybe gone back to banking?
As for Ribot - it's been nearly 25 years since Super League but does he still have any enemies in the NSWRL/QRL/ARL/NRL? They've probably all moved on, but he still might be persona non grata there. I also don't know what he's been doing business wise since then.
So I'm not saying either are bad suggestions - just some due diligence would be required.
From February, there will be one board seat available when Steve Mortimer goes - will be interesting to see who puts their hand up.
Ribot, Nooooo...was a major player for News Ltd supper league war
Smith, Maybe...He needs to do a course in memorizing players names :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK - silly comment re: Excel - but how did it get so badly cocked up?
And even if there were significant mistakes at executive level - what were the directors doing to let it go through without adequate oversight?
Why didn't the then Chairman or another of the directors say 'this doesn't pass the smell test - this doesn't add up' - who can explain how it got so bad to begin with?

As for 2021 signings - you could well be right. We obviously need to recruit as well as bring young fellas through. The problem was for 2019 we had two hands tied behind out back. For 2020 we've got one hand tied. 2021 the gloves are off and it's game on...
I honestly believe there's a plan. It will be unveiled. The waiting might suck, but it hopefully will be worth it.
I don't believe the club will, or even want to sign Leilua and Reynolds.
If however they do, it would be a panic signing just to save there arse, like the Woods Foran signing by the previous board.