Semi-Interested?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
All good points but its the backs we need.

You only mentioned a possible Semi.

My question goes to the very issue our recruiters are up against. They are clearly running out of time if they think they can secure a top notch player mid season to start 2021.

From the whole logistics of this, I'd say they are surrendering on 2021 as well.
Not sure why you'd assume they are surrendering on 2021?
Maybe deals are already done and part of the deal is say nothing for now because if we announce and your club wants to cut you loose for 2020 we can't afford to take you early unless they pay most of the freight. Announce sometime in 2020.

As for additional backs:
- Papenhuyzen (NSW boy, might want to come home, if Storm willing to let him go and if DWZ OK to play elsewhere in the backline). I'm OK with DWZ at fullback.
- Cotric?
- MWZ (DWZ's brother, if suitable, wants to come and can add class - I haven't seen much of him yet).

Oh - and forwards wise - forget JWH - he was never coming and it's just been announced he's remaining a Chook until 2023.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Maybe deals are already done and part of the deal is say nothing for now because if we announce and your club wants to cut you loose for 2020 we can't afford to take you early unless they pay most of the freight. Announce sometime in 2020.

As for additional backs:
- Papenhuyzen (NSW boy, might want to come home, if Storm willing to let him go and if DWZ OK to play elsewhere in the backline). I'm OK with DWZ at fullback.
- Cotric?
- MWZ (DWZ's brother, if suitable, wants to come and can add class - I haven't seen much of him yet).

Oh - and forwards wise - forget JWH - he was never coming and it's just been announced he's remaining a Chook until 2023.
I can't see Papenhuyzen leaving Melbourne since he took over at fullback. Surely Smith will retire after 2020, they will make him a priority. Plus his price will go up by the day. I can see them locking him up soon.

I'd love for the club to make a huge offer for him because I think he's worth it and will be a top 5 fullback but I can't see the club pulling off a coup like that.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I can't see Papenhuyzen leaving Melbourne since he took over at fullback. Surely Smith will retire after 2020, they will make him a priority. Plus his price will go up by the day. I can see them locking him up soon.

I'd love for the club to make a huge offer for him because I think he's worth it and will be a top 5 fullback but I can't see the club pulling off a coup like that.
I don't disagree but not because we're 'incompetent' - I'd say it's more likely to how you describe - Storm priority, they'll lock him up early and pay him well and he'll likely want to stay.
Smith's inevitable retirement frees up HUGE money for the Storm for 2021 onward.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't disagree but not because we're 'incompetent' - I'd say it's more likely to how you describe - Storm priority, they'll lock him up early and pay him well and he'll likely want to stay.
Smith's inevitable retirement frees up HUGE money for the Storm for 2021 onward.
Not in this instance. But perhaps if they were more proactive, they could have made a play before last season when he was 3rd string and being shopped around?

Melbourne let go of numerous other players so I can see how they would legitimately have cap space. Unlike other clubs..

But it does confirm that there are fewer and fewer realistic targets worth signing.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having semi outside of Latrell would awesome, especially because semi is only asking for 500K:smirk:.... if one team gets both it would be ridiculous!

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having semi outside of Latrell would awesome, especially because semi is only asking for 500K:smirk:.... if one team gets both it would be ridiculous!
If dogs were after semi the nrl will tell us he’s underpaid and they won’t approve it just like they did to eels with folau...

but because lanky Wayne gets what he wants, ie; gasnier on 200k at saints he too will get semi at 400k...

joke of an nrl administration

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Is Smith 100% done tho? What if he goes around again :tonguewink:

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Indeed there better be a plan - and nothing to do with what I say on here - for the sake of the club!

Backs: Fair to say we're in with a shot at Semi, assuming he's genuine about an NRL return and money is not everything to him. Dis-regard the Terrorgraph 'story' yesterday - he's worth more than $500k and we could easily afford more for 2021 and make room assuming Holland, Montoya etc all go after 2020.
Forwards: Fair to say we're in with a shot at Arrow - if he can be convinced to leave the GC - and again depends on the money. His missus is a model and allegedly her career improves by coming to Sydney, so it's at least a possibility. I wouldn't spend $1m, but we could afford a good chunk o' change for 2021.
Forwards: Luke Thompson. Many say Hill 'achieved nothing' on his 2 UK trips. If I were the Chair and he wanted to spend company money to 'return' to England, it would have to be on more than speculation - that was the first trip. We can afford him and he's free for 2021. Might depend on whether he wants to try his hand in the NRL.
Halves: I admit this is a tricky one - and there may be a school of thought in seeing how Wakeham goes in 2020. No doubt Foran's injury has changed the thinking about this though - so early days in terms of external alternatives.

I'm not dismissing your concerns at all - they are legit. I'm just saying there's stuff we simply don't know yet...
Not sure if I answered your question though...
I am not being anti Pay I am just curious...
If a player gets the same or very close offer from say Canterbury Souths or West tigers, what are our chances do you think ?
It's a worry !

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
If a player gets the same or very close offer from say Canterbury Souths or West tigers, what are our chances do you think ?
It's a worry !
I think we all know the answer to that (at this time) unless it's Dallin's bro...meh.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score

As for additional backs:
- Cotric?

Mwz is bog average.

Cotric and papen are good. If both them get retained then what?

We need to open our eyes mate.

I’m sorry though your support for your views is based on a conversation you have stated you had with someone involved with the club who made it out as if they have a plan, and you didn’t get a feel that they lied to you mate....

Meanwhile not a single thing supports this in the current actions at all.

You cling to comments from
2018 before we lost Mbye woods Klemmer morris bro’s etc...

Before we weren’t paying graham to play elsewhere.

Unfortunately mate I don’t want to be doom an gloom though I’m also very realistic with this all. You might say it’s being negative though I’m just not following people blindly who have proven zero. If anything they have shown to be out of their depth of comments like you made about them paying Klemmer to play at the knights is actually accurate (as stated he asked for a release, knights wanted and paid him a larger salary and he was an Australian rep! Ffs) if we paid him to play there we are in worst states than I feared.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
It's a worry !
Timing will play a part.
Some say we're the last Sydney club anyone wants to sign for. Let's see if that's the case for 2021 with money on offer.
Soufs have money for 2020 with no Burgess x 2 or Sutton - how much room will they have for 2021?
Tigers have lost Farrah, will lose Marshall end of 2020, likely Reynolds and maybe more. Warchest? May depend if they sign Mitchell or not.
It's not just the coach or recent success - we managed to snare Ennis, Stagg, Hannant and J-Moz for 2009 with a new/rookie coach after we got the spoon in 2008...

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's a worry !
Thats if our club is even attempting to sign players

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’ve heard that we are going to be announcing a signing soon
FUCKALL IS HIS NAME

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Mwz is bog average.

Cotric and papen are good. If both them get retained then what?

We need to open our eyes mate.

I’m sorry though your support for your views is based on a conversation you have stated you had with someone involved with the club who made it out as if they have a plan, and you didn’t get a feel that they lied to you mate....

Meanwhile not a single thing supports this in the current actions at all.

You cling to comments from
2018 before we lost Mbye woods Klemmer morris bro’s etc...

Before we weren’t paying graham to play elsewhere.

Unfortunately mate I don’t want to be doom an gloom though I’m also very realistic with this all. You might say it’s being negative though I’m just not following people blindly who have proven zero.
I'll cop it for MWZ - as I said I haven't seen much of him.
No, your summation isn't correct. The conversations were merely a part of it - they don't form my complete view on the situation by a long stretch.
I'm not clinging to anything nor following blindly - I'm not that dopey mate. I call it as I see it - just as I said this morning I thought re-signing Chris Smith was a mistake.
And I'm a realist too - I believe there is stuff happening - you don't and both are entitled to our opinions.
I've said many times if they get this wrong they will (and should) pay with their jobs.
I've also asked several times for people to put forward credible alternative management for the 2020 elections onwards. That's usually met with silence.
Only one person suggested some names and whilst that's great - I didn't see how that would work, for instance Gerry Harvey. He's a gazillionaire, why would he be interested? He's 80 years old, slowing down if anything, not taking on more.

Let's see how it turns out - we'll both know soon enough.
If I'm wrong, I'll own it - I'm assuming you will too.
I'm not interested in bragging rights, I'm interested in success for the club.

Cheers

PS - we WERE paying Graham in the time frame I refer to - he left at the end of 2017.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
John ribot and David Smith were also mentioned
I'll cop it for MWZ - as I said I haven't seen much of him.
No, your summation isn't correct. The conversations were merely a part of it - they don't form my complete view on the situation by a long stretch.
I'm not clinging to anything nor following blindly - I'm not that dopey mate. I call it as I see it - just as I said this morning I thought re-signing Chris Smith was a mistake.
And I'm a realist too - I believe there is stuff happening - you don't and both are entitled to our opinions.
I've said many times if they get this wrong they will (and should) pay with their jobs.
I've also asked several times for people to put forward credible alternative management for the 2020 elections onwards. That's usually met with silence.
Only one person suggested some names and whilst that's great - I didn't see how that would work, for instance Gerry Harvey. He's a gazillionaire, why would he be interested? He's 80 years old, slowing down if anything, not taking on more.

Let's see how it turns out - we'll both know soon enough.
If I'm wrong, I'll own it - I'm assuming you will too.
I'm not interested in bragging rights, I'm interested in success for the club.

Cheers

PS - we WERE paying Graham in the time frame I refer to - he left at the end of 2017.