Chris Smith Re-signs

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's not a FG standard player but here's a new deal and a top 30 spot anyway! More mediocrity getting rewarded and another squad spot wasted which could have been given to a young player with way more potential and ability.

I'm just waiting for Elliott and Sue to have new five year deals announced.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
To prove I am not a board sympathiser - I can't see the wisdom in this decision - especially when we have a big stock of back rowers already. Kennel - discuss!
So this is the kennels idea of the board staying busy ahhhaha what duds, absolutely shocking

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Wouldn't stress to much considering it's only until 2021 and will most likely be a fill from ccup when the juniors overtake him.
Yeah but we can't keep on saying that. "It's only for another year and wouldn't be on much..." That mentality isn't good enough. We can't just keep re-signing or signing dead wood and say oh well, they don't cost much...

Every little cent all adds up, it takes away squad spots and why cant the club try and find other gems on the cheap instead of just keeping the same average players who aren't good enough in the first place?

Soon enough we'll have no cap space left because they would have upgraded every last player from our 12th and 11th placed teams thinking that we don't need to improve or bolster the squad.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Well that atleast explains why we couldn't get LM, saving the money for Smithy! 15 clubs just trembled for 2020.

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Minimum wage
Nsw cup signing
As I’ve said before ya can’t sign all rep players people
You do need to fill reserves
Then they should sign him to a reserves contract and not have him in the top 30.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah but we can't keep on saying that. "It's only for another year and wouldn't be on much..." That mentality isn't good enough. We can't just keep re-signing or signing dead wood and say oh well, they don't cost much...

Every little cent all adds up, it takes away squad spots and why cant the club try and find other gems on the cheap instead of just keeping the same average players who aren't good enough in the first place?

Soon enough we'll have no cap space left because they would have upgraded every last player from our 12th and 11th placed teams thinking that we don't need to improve or bolster the squad.
Imagine missing out on player signings and then re signing chris smith just lolll

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Imagine missing out on player signings and then re signing chris smith just lolll
Patience, this is unfolding to a very careful strategic plan. Soon we will add the double contract extensions on Montoya and Holland to cap off a very successful use of the (drum roll please)..... "war chest" Dum dum dahhhhh!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't stress to much considering it's only until 2021 and will most likely be a fill from ccup when the juniors overtake him.
There’s just no need for it though I doubt he’s going to get snapped up by anyone else and if he was it’s hardly the end of the world. With the stupid top 30 rule roster spots are becoming valuable and using one up so early on a player like Smith just doesn’t make sense.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Another thing... Why re-sign him now? Were they so scared another club would poach him? What happened to making players earn a new deal?
To make them look proactive and like we are signing players. Didn't you know, we are fukin stupid! Players like LM, Scott, Addo Carr, Fifita floating around, what does our club do.............

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A squad player and I hope we didn’t pay too much for him. I’m waiting for people to say why didn’t we just pay a few more dollars for Jai Arrow haha
Shit resigning bro, didn’t need to be done... there are a heap of players that we should’ve be rushing to resign, for me Chris smith was on that list

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Parra signed Sivo and Canberra signed CNK for about as much as Smith would be earning on his new deal. Which proves my point about how value can still be found with your final squad spots.. It's criminal to continually waste them on reserve graders like Smith when bargains like those two are out there to be discovered for those clubs that know what they're doing....

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
There’s just no need for it though I doubt he’s going to get snapped up by anyone else and if he was it’s hardly the end of the world. With the stupid top 30 rule roster spots are becoming valuable and using one up so early on a player like Smith just doesn’t make sense.
They are shoring up cause they've got nothing looks like.

It's symptomatic of the bold new vision we were promised....a fizzer.

haz123

dogs for eva
Reaction score
Ohhhhhh Marley or what ever he is called this week is going to looooove this.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
To make them look proactive and like we are signing players. Didn't you know, we are fukin stupid! Players like LM, Scott, Addo Carr, Fifita floating around, what does our club do.............
Exactly right. It's all PR bullshit. We've gone from the most well run club in the comp for decades to also rans who are run by amateurs.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Exactly right. It's all PR bullshit. We've gone from the most well run club in the comp for decades to also rans who are run by amateurs.
Yeah it's almost a declaration from the club that they have nothing! Sorry Chris but we see the Storm re-sign their 4 players in one go and announce it, what do we do. Space it out like we're killing it!

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cannot fathom or understand why our management would offer him another contract,
He really didn’t make enough impact or show improvement to warrant an extension
Smith is 25 which isn’t old but this would have been the perfect opportunity to blood one of our development players whilst the team is in building and recovery mode
I thought that was what we are doing lately,promoting youngsters

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He's on a small contract. Good back up option. If you guys didn't hype Stimson up so much I'd probably have him in our 17 on the bench. Elliott and Smith were great in the Lock rotation last year. I've never really thought the hate was justified.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't agree with this signing (unless it's just a depth signing knowing that Elliott won't be offered a new contract).