Semi-Interested?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I respect the way you have been discussing things and speak like an educated adult.

The difference we have here is your choosing to follow blindly. You hope they have a divine plan that is being worked on behind the scenes but unfortunately nothing supports this.

When you say who said we where interested in “x” player and why should we be. Well it’s pretty simple for me.

This is a competition to win. Forget the rest of the shit that’s what it really boils down to.

These blokes bust their ass and get paid big $ to win.

When almost any centre in the game is a upgrade for us we should be seeing that.

Our backline is woeful and our attack has been putrid for years.

I’m not one saying sign bj leuila because he’s is a large upgrade on holland or montoya (sure he is) though also I see the logic that he’s getting older, known to be unfit and stupid and clearly has neck issues along with the fact he will want rather large $.

I don’t need to go over latrell though clearly he’s the ideal recruitment. For whatever reason that hasn’t happened.

Though guys like Scott are ideal. Young, amazing talent, available and wouldn’t be latrell $.

Stupid not to be having a crack here. That said he might not be interested but there’s several names like him that fit that bill that have slid through to the keeper.

It’s like baseball, better to swing and miss then get caught ball watching.

Anyway that’s where our views differ, though I will always be up for a discussion over opinions!
Likewise mate, respect your views and how you articulate them, even though sometimes I sense your blood pressure rising faster than mine :-)
But allow me to correct you. No, I am not following blindly, nor am I simply hoping.
I've had conversations with those in management. To be clear - I'm not claiming that because of this I am more clued in than anyone else - I am absolutely not - I just get a strong sense that there IS a plan.

Yes, of course this is a competition to win - but success takes time - especially when you've been blindfolded and had your hands tied behind your back for 3 years.
In my view the blindfold is now removed (we see the path ahead) and in 2020 at least one of those hands has been freed from the binds.
For 2021, we have no handicaps anymore and hence no excuses - and that's where I believe the 'plan' will be unveiled - when they are ready.

The current administration, regardless of what anyone thinks of them haven't even been in the job 2 years.
They're not idiots - there's simply no panacea.

For me, it seems pointless to say much between now and Christmas - apart from us diehards on forums and media muppets digging for stories - no-one is talking rugby league.
I think it would make far more sense to start talking about it around February when everyone is getting lathered up for the new season.
You've probably seen my other posts about keeping our powder dry on announcements...interested to hear your views on that.

I don't think anyone would dispute that our backline needs improving.
BJ - I think you summed it up well - no go for me.
Mitchell - Let's not go there :-)
Scott - agree a good buy, but as you say, maybe he simply wasn't interested or there's another reason - but the automatic assumption that our incompetence cost us signing him (or anyone else) I'm sorry I just don't buy.

Happy to keep the debate going, or equally wish you a good weekend and leave it at that for now...

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly and I’m glad you didn’t fall for Dean Ritchie’s clickbait lies
They want us to believe at the age of 27 he's willing to take a pay cut, when his at his prime. Fucking Joke!!!

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
They want us to believe at the age of 27 he's willing to take a pay cut, when his at his prime. Fucking Joke!!!
It just sells papers and advertising mate. 5% of it is true but people get so worked up about it

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mate you’re getting into a lather over media speculation and nothing else.

But to address your point:
Who’s the alternative?

Bleat all you like, but like the rest of the bleaters you fail to talk alternatives.

I’m neither pro or anti board.
I think they’ve done a good job generally given what they inherited. Perfect? No, no such thing.

But for those so unhappy, how about some constructive suggestions as to who could join the club’s management, what roles they could play and what difference they can make.

Interested to hear your suggestions.
The point is they should be doing a much better job those defending them no matter what are fucking delusional.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
The point is they should be doing a much better job those defending them no matter what are fucking delusional.
Fair enough, I think that's a lazy answer and doesn't address what I asked but you're entitled to your views. Cheers.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Likewise mate, respect your views and how you articulate them, even though sometimes I sense your blood pressure rising faster than mine :-)
But allow me to correct you. No, I am not following blindly, nor am I simply hoping.
I've had conversations with those in management. To be clear - I'm not claiming that because of this I am more clued in than anyone else - I am absolutely not - I just get a strong sense that there IS a plan.

Yes, of course this is a competition to win - but success takes time - especially when you've been blindfolded and had your hands tied behind your back for 3 years.
In my view the blindfold is now removed (we see the path ahead) and in 2020 at least one of those hands has been freed from the binds.
For 2021, we have no handicaps anymore and hence no excuses - and that's where I believe the 'plan' will be unveiled - when they are ready.

The current administration, regardless of what anyone thinks of them haven't even been in the job 2 years.
They're not idiots - there's simply no panacea.

For me, it seems pointless to say much between now and Christmas - apart from us diehards on forums and media muppets digging for stories - no-one is talking rugby league.
I think it would make far more sense to start talking about it around February when everyone is getting lathered up for the new season.
You've probably seen my other posts about keeping our powder dry on announcements...interested to hear your views on that.

I don't think anyone would dispute that our backline needs improving.
BJ - I think you summed it up well - no go for me.
Mitchell - Let's not go there :-)
Scott - agree a good buy, but as you say, maybe he simply wasn't interested or there's another reason - but the automatic assumption that our incompetence cost us signing him (or anyone else) I'm sorry I just don't buy.

Happy to keep the debate going, or equally wish you a good weekend and leave it at that for now...
See mate once again, talking with people isn’t changing anything.

What are they going to say to you? Oh we have no ducking idea what we are doing we haven’t been able to get a sit down with most players or we aren’t aware they where available?

Sorry mate that doesn’t change my view.

I’m basing it on what has happened not what might happen. Unfortunately that’s not much. If it wasn’t for Dwz it would be a complete and utter failure right now likely with a another spoon.

The whole Dwz saga isn’t one I fill the club prevailed in either. We did enough but it’s also a case of little options that worked at that time. We already know he would be at tigers if the cap space they have now was there mid season. He wanted to link with madge. We lucked out there. Eels didn’t have his desired position open (like us with latrell now?) and that didn’t suit. Obviously he didn’t want to
Move to nq as he said this himself Too.

Our good fortune but not exactly a masterclass and again without Dwz it’s a disaster run so far.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fair enough, I think that's a lazy answer and doesn't address what I asked but you're entitled to your views. Cheers.
Not really they have been appointed to do a good job and they are doing a shit job in particular recruitment

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And what is Stephen price doing these days....
Got his dream job, has he hit the ground running?
Haven't heard boo from him.

What are they going to say to you? Oh we have no ducking idea what we are doing we haven’t been able to get a sit down with most players or we aren’t aware they where available?

I’m basing it on what has happened not what might happen. Unfortunately that’s not much. If it wasn’t for Dwz it would be a complete and utter failure right now likely with a another spoon.

The whole Dwz saga isn’t one I fill the club prevailed in either. We did enough but it’s also a case of little options that worked at that time. We already know he would be at tigers if the cap space they have now was there mid season. He wanted to link with madge. We lucked out there. Eels didn’t have his desired position open (like us with latrell now?) and that didn’t suit. Obviously he didn’t want to

Our good fortune but not exactly a masterclass and again without Dwz it’s a disaster run so far.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

Of course mate - I never expected they'd give anything away, but I also don't believe they're flat out lying in their responses - or that nothing is being done.
It's pretty easy to gauge when someone is lying or deflecting when you're looking them in the eyes and I didn't get that feeling at all - more than once.
That's my primary point about mentioning my conversations at all - nothing else.

If it's all smoke and mirrors and they had me fooled, they should be getting nominated for Oscars (Actually Logies - let's not give them too much credit :-))

Not trying to change your view mate - just offering an alternative.
You're clearly a 'proof is in the pudding' kinda guy and that's fair enough - results do speak for themselves.
My view is that we are not yet at a stage where results can tell us anything, because the plan is still being worked on.
And yes, a big part of that plan is that we are once again a development club - and I don't see anything wrong with that - any sustainable side now has to have a healthy stock of juniors coming through the ranks - something we utterly failed in during the reign of the Despot.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
They came out and said " nothing is happening with latrell" .....
Correct. And if you read exactly what was said: 'Usually we don’t make comment around our recruitment and retention strategies'.
So normally they say nothing and made exception for Mitchell and the circus surrounding him.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
DinkumDog ok let's assume there's a plan...for heavens sake there better be one :grinning:

But that aside...name 2 players, name 1 player even, who will make a marked improvement to our team who is available in the time frame you say the recruitment guys are working to. I'll settle for 1 player that you can name that the Board are targetting to sign for 2021 season.

Almost all signed up, not available, extended or otherwise not interested.

Who could they be targetting of who is available.

As far as I can see, there's not much out there. Certainly at least not enough to be not be in the race on LM, Scott, Marsters.

Some of us are worried because we don't look like we are active enough in the marketplace atm and whats available for 2021 is highly uncertain or not the same calibre as those available now.

We all realise we just have to wait and see. You and others say you will be concerned in 2 months if no signings. Some of us are worried now.

maltalian_dog

DESeption
Reaction score
Very imaginative. Pull that cock out of your arse and the other one out of your mouth. You don't have much time to talk obviously
I wasn't replying to you I was reacting to semi wanting to go to Souths very graphic

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
DinkumDog ok let's assume there's a plan...for heavens sake there better be one :grinning:

But that aside...name 2 players, name 1 player even, who will make a marked improvement to our team who is available in the time frame you say the recruitment guys are working to. I'll settle for 1 player that you can name that the Board are targetting to sign for 2021 season.

As far as I can see, there's not much out there. Certainly at least not enough to be not be in the race on LM, Scott, Marsters.

Some of us are worried because we don't look like we are active enough in the marketplace atm and whats available for 2021 is highly uncertain or not the same calibre as those available now.

We all realise we just have to wait and see. You and others say you will be concerned in 2 months if no signings. Some of us are worried now.
Indeed there better be a plan - and nothing to do with what I say on here - for the sake of the club!

Backs: Fair to say we're in with a shot at Semi, assuming he's genuine about an NRL return and money is not everything to him. Dis-regard the Terrorgraph 'story' yesterday - he's worth more than $500k and we could easily afford more for 2021 and make room assuming Holland, Montoya etc all go after 2020.
Forwards: Fair to say we're in with a shot at Arrow - if he can be convinced to leave the GC - and again depends on the money. His missus is a model and allegedly her career improves by coming to Sydney, so it's at least a possibility. I wouldn't spend $1m, but we could afford a good chunk o' change for 2021.
Forwards: Luke Thompson. Many say Hill 'achieved nothing' on his 2 UK trips. If I were the Chair and he wanted to spend company money to 'return' to England, it would have to be on more than speculation - that was the first trip. We can afford him and he's free for 2021. Might depend on whether he wants to try his hand in the NRL.
Halves: I admit this is a tricky one - and there may be a school of thought in seeing how Wakeham goes in 2020. No doubt Foran's injury has changed the thinking about this though - so early days in terms of external alternatives.

I'm not dismissing your concerns at all - they are legit. I'm just saying there's stuff we simply don't know yet...
Not sure if I answered your question though...

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

We shouldn't worry about 2020 unless we can get one of these guys early. Lomax (was Latrell), Grant, Taukeiaho (maybe Arrow?) and Vunivalu (maybe Cotric?). I think we'll have enough money for one more signing too. We really need to act now tho. The best Halfback we could buy is Townsend who's currently on 550k at the Sharks. If we wanted a Five-Eighth it'd be Wighton or Walker who both demand close (maybe even more) then 1m. I've said this a few times we have a very good base to work with. We just need to bring in four to five players to complete our squad.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Indeed there better be a plan - and nothing to do with what I say on here - for the sake of the club!

Backs: Fair to say we're in with a shot at Semi, assuming he's genuine about an NRL return and money is not everything to him. Dis-regard the Terrorgraph 'story' yesterday - he's worth more than $500k and we could easily afford more for 2021 and make room assuming Holland, Montoya etc all go after 2020.
Forwards: Fair to say we're in with a shot at Arrow - if he can be convinced to leave the GC - and again depends on the money. His missus is a model and allegedly her career improves by coming to Sydney, so it's at least a possibility. I wouldn't spend $1m, but we could afford a good chunk o' change for 2021.
Forwards: Luke Thompson. Many say Hill 'achieved nothing' on his 2 UK trips. If I were the Chair and he wanted to spend company money to 'return' to England, it would have to be on more than speculation - that was the first trip. We can afford him and he's free for 2021. Might depend on whether he wants to try his hand in the NRL.
Halves: I admit this is a tricky one - and there may be a school of thought in seeing how Wakeham goes in 2020. No doubt Foran's injury has changed the thinking about this though - so early days in terms of external alternatives.

I'm not dismissing your concerns at all - they are legit. I'm just saying there's stuff we simply don't know yet...
Not sure if I answered your question though...
All good points but its the backs we need.

You only mentioned a possible Semi.

My question goes to the very issue our recruiters are up against. They are clearly running out of time if they think they can secure a top notch player mid season to start 2021.

From the whole logistics of this, I'd say they are surrendering on 2021 as well.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
We shouldn't worry about 2020 unless we can get one of these guys early. Lomax (was Latrell), Grant, Taukeiaho (maybe Arrow?) and Vunivalu (maybe Cotric?). I think we'll have enough money for one more signing too. We really need to act now tho. The best Halfback we could buy is Townsend who's currently on 550k at the Sharks. If we wanted a Five-Eighth it'd be Wighton or Walker who both demand close (maybe even more) then 1m. I've said this a few times we have a very good base to work with. We just need to bring in four to five players to complete our squad.
Don't disagree - but the cap penalty for 2020 is what hinders this in my view. That's why I think 2021 is being targeted with cap clean air.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
All good points but its the backs we need.

You only mentioned a possible Semi.

My question goes to the very issue our recruiters are up against. They are clearly running out of time if they think they can secure a top notch player mid season to start 2021.

From the whole logistics of this, I'd say they are surrendering on 2021 as well.
These are all the backs off contract (that I rate):
Centre:
-Bird
-Staggs
-Cotric
-Wighton (marquee)
-Suli
-Olam
-Lomax
-Latrell (marquee)

Wing:
-Oates