News Dogs to bare teeth with $8.5 million war chest

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well that's one last thing I'll bring up.. This reported rift with certain agents/managers...

With the power managers have these days, if there is any truth to the club refusing to deal with some of them then that would limit the options even more.
From what ive heard its more a situation of the way the club dealed or refused to play ball with certain player managers..

These plyer managers have done business in that way for a long time with our club and other clubs..

X & Y refused to play ball so to speak..

Agents be it sport, real estate etc can be a murky business with back scratching etc to get deals done.. some player managers like clubs to be generous or looked after in certain ways..

you get the drift.. And I doubt they would want to be told where to go and communicated with in aggressive langauage..

The game has changed alot since the days CA used to coach.. recruitment, player managers, TPAs etc.. The club was still getting its head around the ins and outs of the salary cap and all its rules and clauses this year.. legal advisors were brought in to analyse and explain it all properly.. it is very complicated and especially if you have no expereince with it..

Thats another reason their stripping everything bck to simplify it.. few TPAs, no backends, no clauses etc etc.. make it simple..

Fans dont like backended deals.. but IMO sometimes its necessary if you want to sign a player now but have little cap space one year and more space other years.. Otherwise your limiting your options..

It is business at the end of the day.. and sports business is very conpetitive.. need to have flexibity in your dealings and negotiations.. just my opinion.. If you have to back end to fit a good player in, you either do or you miss out..

Last edited:

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what ive heard its more a situation of the way the club dealed or refused to play ball with certain player managers..

These plyer managers have done business in that way for a long time with our club and other clubs..

X & Y refused to play ball so to speak..

Agents be it sport, real estate etc can be a murky business with back scratching etc to get deals done.. some player managers like clubs to be generous or looked after in certain ways..

you get the drift.. And I doubt they would want to be told where to go and communicated with in aggressive langauage..

The game has changed alot since the days CA used to coach.. recruitment, player managers, TPAs etc.. The club was still getting its head around the ins and outs of the salary cap and all its rules and clauses this year.. legal advisors were brought in to analyse and explain it all properly.. it is very complicated and especially if you have no expereince with it..

Thats another reason their stripping everything bck to simplify it.. few TPAs, no backends, no clauses etc etc.. make it simple..

Fans dont like backended deals.. but IMO sometimes its necessary if you want to sign a player now but have little cap space one year and more space other years.. Otherwise your limiting your options..

It is business at the end of the day.. and sports business is very conpetitive.. need to have flexibity in your dealings and negotiations.. just my opinion.. If you have to back end to fit a good player in, you either do or you miss out..
backend 1 or 2 sure, obviously not half the squad ala tweedle Dib and tweedle Des

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I think my previous post gives a pretty good indication. And you left Klemmer off your list.
Why are you so aggressive champion? What's your beef apart from not getting your way with Mitchell (in a contractual sense)?
It was stated awhile ago we aren’t paying graham anymore. He wasn’t even on our books for this season.

If we seriously paid klemmer a cent to leave we are ran by incompetent idiots. He asked for a release.

Woods and mbye was meant to be finished last season too. That’s what the whole shit fight was that it was the season they left and the following...

Just shows how poorly dealt with this was if true.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
They both smashed it in their very first year of being starting halfbacks.. In Thurstons very first year of starting 7 he won Dally M player of the Year ..

Sherwin first year of starting halfback fulltime was 2002.. we went 17staright and top that year..

If thats not smashing it from the start I dont know what is..
It took them 30-40 games and 2-3 years after debuting to start smashing it. If they smashed it from the start like you say Sherwin would have been halfback in 99 and Thurston in 02. They clearly didn’t own a NRL spot from the start and took a while to become first graders.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
It was stated awhile ago we aren’t paying graham anymore. He wasn’t even on our books for this season.

If we seriously paid klemmer a cent to leave we are ran by incompetent idiots. He asked for a release.

Woods and mbye was meant to be finished last season too. That’s what the whole shit fight was that it was the season they left and the following...

Just shows how poorly dealt with this was if true.
I didn’t state player and year specifics.
I said these were among the players and costs we had to carry over the period. 2018 and 2019 were by far the worst of that burden and 2020 is better, but there’s still some weight we need to shed. By the end of season 2020 it’s clear air and that message has never changed.

As for Klemmer, yes, he asked for a release but that doesn’t make the contract null and void. He still had a year to run on his contract and Newcastle weren’t willing to pay full freight for 2019. After that he’s their problem.

If not under the pressure we were under sure, you refuse the release or demand full freight from the other club.

But given the situation, the choice is to pay full freight and keep an unhappy employee or pay less freight, release the unhappy employee and reduce some of the cost burden immediately.

Personally I think it’s the opposite to idiocy, I see it as a well played opportunity that gets us to clear air faster.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I didn’t state player and year specifics.
I said these were among the players and costs we had to carry over the period. 2018 and 2019 were by far the worst of that burden and 2020 is better, but there’s still some weight we need to shed. By the end of season 2020 it’s clear air and that message has never changed.

As for Klemmer, yes, he asked for a release but that doesn’t make the contract null and void. He still had a year to run on his contract and Newcastle weren’t willing to pay full freight for 2019. After that he’s their problem.

If not under the pressure we were under sure, you refuse the release or demand full freight from the other club.

But given the situation, the choice is to pay full freight and keep an unhappy employee or pay less freight, release the unhappy employee and reduce some of the cost burden immediately.

Personally I think it’s the opposite to idiocy, I see it as a well played opportunity that gets us to clear air faster.
If we paid Klemmer a cent this year it is the definition of incompetences.

He wanted out, he asked for the release, the knights wanted him and upgraded his deal therefor he is making more. Not less.... absolutely 0 reason we paid a cent.

It was also never once mentioned or speculated until now.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
If we paid Klemmer a cent this year it is the definition of incompetences.

He wanted out, he asked for the release, the knights wanted him and upgraded his deal therefor he is making more. Not less.... absolutely 0 reason we paid a cent.

It was also never once mentioned or speculated until now.
OK mate.
Next topic.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
So long as we are not described as tyrekickers by the player managers and the market place in general when it comes to our recruitment process.
God forbid we have that reputation as well. Backing out from LM after showing huge interest seems unprofessional if it's true (only virtually confirmed :grinning:

Already goss saying a few player managers won't deal with us.

Would love a bit more explanation on that from those who have information.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
God forbid we have that reputation as well. Backing out from LM after showing huge interest seems unprofessional if it's true (only virtually confirmed :grinning:

If an auction goes above what you can afford to pay is it unprofessional not to keep bidding?

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We've always had issues with the leagues and football clubs. They're like bickering siblings but can't live without each other.
You may remember a couple of years ago Peponis was the Chair of the Leagues Club and he introduced two more board seats in an effort to try to get a majority on the football club board. It failed when the Anderson ticket won the football club election, but it's very political and I agree, not a great look.

re: Coach for 2021 - unless 2020 is a disaster I reckon Pay stays. No doubt the coach would have come up in discussions with players for 2021 so there must be a story there - but again, not spoken about publicly.
Hell - they haven't even announced what's happening with Jacko yet, but no doubt there's discussions.

I just think the assumption that nothing is happening needs to stop - because I think it's the opposite. I also think there's a very small inner sanctum who know the truth and are keeping it that way so there's no media leaks and other disruptive nonsense the club just doesn't need. the last 2 years have been hard enough!
Stability and shrewd planning are the foundations of success,
In the eighties the boards of both football and leagues clubs agreed on having a certain number of board members from the football board on the leagues club board to insure future grants to the football club.
Within the NSW club rules Peponis introduced two extra board members at a time of chaos caused by Hitler's deceit and instability, Dib trusted and thought Hitler still WAS the best coach available while Peponis Mortimer and Lamb amongst others lost their faith in him.
Years ago our club was impregnable, no one knew about our business more than what we wanted them to know, It didn't go well with News Ltd and the National Rorts League...They insured it didn't last !
I believe Pay's fate rests with the senior players and management, we can't judge him on his performance with the current roster but must be judged by what he brought to the team and individuals is he the coach to take us to the summit ?
Only they can answer that !!!
Jacko not signing could be an indication....???
No one and I mean NO ONE needs to know about our business
I would be most disappointed if they do !!!
But we need GOOD results !!!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
If an auction goes above what you can afford to pay is it unprofessional not to keep bidding?
But they would have already known what price LM wanted. And would have known he wanted FB (or should have know that in the first sentence at the meeting as soon as his manager opened his mouth...more likely sent a proposal prior to contact and we supposedly got Rorters to tip in.

All that and we look like dills not pursuing it after "supposedly" initiating the whole folly that played out in the press.

We look like Loosers with a capital L...who would want to deal with whoever it is at the club who's in charge this week.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Uncle Nick and his like could be paying bonuses on the side to agents ?
Is it legal, can we do the same ? :D:D:D

Last edited:

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
But they would have already known what price LM wanted. And would have known he wanted FB (or should have know that in the first sentence at the meeting as soon as his manager opened his mouth...more likely sent a proposal prior to contact and we supposedly got Rorters to tip in.

All that and we look like dills not pursuing it after "supposedly" initiating the whole folly that played out in the press.

We look like Loosers with a capital L...who would want to deal with whoever it is at the club who's in charge this week.
No they didn’t. That’s the main issue

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
No they didn’t. That’s the main issue
The price was known (imo - It also turned out I was right). We offered the lowest amount, an extra 200k, to entice him. If we offered more maybe he would of accepted before other clubs medically retired players (Tigers and Rabbitohs). The Roosters second offer of 800k also meant we'd have to increase the offer to 1m (unless the situation there was untenable from his side). That was all pretty obvious imo. If we were serious about the player we would of offered more. The reasons why we didn't are unknown. For either Centre or Fullback position it shouldn't of mattered. It's done now tho so now it's up to the club to recruit who they think is the best fit as well as Latrell having a poor season (and the rest of his career).