News Dogs to bare teeth with $8.5 million war chest

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Right player at the right price is exactly the words i was told.. and not in the spine.. That was the main reason they pulled out of Latrells signing..

They are confident this spine will work in the longterm as JMK Cogger Lewis still 'young' and inexperienced but improving..

My opinion is great players fire very early in their career..within 2 years of NRL you should know..

I remember from our recent greats like Sherwin and Thurston and others at other clubs, they smashed it pretty much from their start..
Sherwin didn’t really establish himself as a NRL halfback until 2002 after debuting in 1999. He was in and out of the side for 3 years and played all different positions I wouldn’t say he smashed it from the start. Thurston carved up reggies but he still took a good couple of years to become a force in first grade

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sherwin didn’t really establish himself as a NRL halfback until 2002 after debuting in 1999. He was in and out of the side for 3 years and played all different positions I wouldn’t say he smashed it from the start. Thurston carved up reggies but he still took a good couple of years to become a force in first grade
Thats not what I remember ..

Thurston was QLD halfback in 2005 and did awesome in that very first year winning the Dally M medal and led the Cowboys to the GF in his first full year starting NRL..

Stuart was our main halfback in 99.. Sherwin was still off the bench in 2001.. 2002 was sherwins first full year as our NRL halfback.. he led our team to top of the table and was selected in city origin in his first year..

Both smashed it in the thier first year as starting players..

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thats not what I remember ..

Thurston was QLD halfback in 2005 and did awesome in that very first year winning the Dally M medal and led the Cowboys to the GF in his first full year starting NRL..

Stuart was our main halfback in 99.. Sherwin was still off the bench in 2001.. 2002 was sherwins first full year as our NRL halfback.. he led our team to top of the table and was selected in city origin in his first year..

Both smashed it in the thier first year as starting players..
You can’t say they smashed it from the start when they took 2-3 years to even establish themselves in the side. Once they finally got a starting spot and had 30-40 NRL games under their belt they excelled.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What I want to know is why the fuck does Pay have so much of a say in who we do and don't sign for the future when it's still uncertain whether or not he'll even be coaching beyond this season?
There is no uncertainty. Pay will be here for the long haul and will continue doing the great work he has started.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There is no uncertainty. Pay will be here for the long haul and will continue doing the great work he has started.
So 12th and 11th with the worst attack in the comp leaves you with zero uncertainty? This year is make or break for him and everyone else. This is his squad now. No more excuses. Everyone should be held accountable. Especially a coach with a 30 percent win rate with little to no tactical acumen.

If he proves otherwise and we somehow make the finals, then he would have earned an extension.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
So 12th and 11th with the worst attack in the comp leaves you with zero uncertainty? This year is make or break for him and everyone else. This is his squad now. No more excuses. Everyone should be held accountable. Especially a coach with a 30 percent win rate with little to no tactical acumen.

If he proves otherwise and we somehow make the finals, then he would have earned an extension.
12th and 11th, exhibiting obvious improvement with the youngest, and 16th rated squad in the comp is pretty fair going.

Throw in he’s been working with a busted salary cap the whole time and he looks even better.

Weird how most on here can’t seem to grasp and acknowledge the realities of our past 18-24 months.

Keep whingeing all you like on here. Deans job is safe.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

He's not expected to do anything next season. Avoid the wooden spoon and he's done what's expected. 2021 is a different story. If we don't recruit anyone or more so enough players we're not going to be expected for top eight then either. Pay's done a terrific job with what he's got.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
12th and 11th, exhibiting obvious improvement with the youngest, and 16th rated squad in the comp is pretty fair going.

Throw in he’s been working with a busted salary cap the whole time and he looks even better.

Weird how most on here can’t seem to grasp and acknowledge the realities of our past 18-24 months.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Who's whinging? First of all our squad is not that dreadful. It has holes but we have some good players. The back end of the season proved that.

All I'm saying is he hasn't done anything to prove that he's our long term coach yet.

He doesn't deserve to dictate who we do and don't buy for beyond 2020 when he hasn't been confirmed as the coach for beyond 2020. What is so hard to grasp about that?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
We finished 12th in 2018 and 11th in 2019 with the worst attack in the comp. We just had our injury prone key half ruled out for most of the season.

But hey, why would we need to sign anyone based on those results?

I understand not wanting to blow your budget on marquee signings but if that's the tactic then you have to raid every other club for their best young talent. And that hasn't happened... With even more young stars locked up now, there will be even less talent available when they do decide to sign someone.

People say to relax and be patient and I appreciate their reasoning but when you put things together and see how other clubs are improving their squads, it's hard not to be concerned and frustrated.
Because other clubs aren't paying $1m+ for that key half who will sit out next season as well as paying down the debts from players who've already left the club - which ends at the end of 2020.
So in 2020 you've got nearly 20% of your salary cap for players not on the field for you!
I'm baffled why this is so hard for people to understand?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's not expected to do anything next season. Avoid the wooden spoon and he's done what's expected. 2021 is a different story. If we don't recruit anyone or more so enough players we're not going to be expected for top eight then either. Pay's done a terrific job with what he's got.
Talk about setting the bar low... So you, Speedy and Horse all believe that if we've finished 12th, 11th and 10th to 15th next season then Pay would have proven beyond any doubt that he's done a great job and deserves to be given a long term extension? Makes sense to me!

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paying down the debts?

Who you talking about ?

Graham, woods, mybe ?

How much is the debt?
Because other clubs aren't paying $1m+ for that key half who will sit out next season as well as paying down the debts from players who've already left the club - which ends at the end of 2020.
So in 2020 you've got nearly 20% of your salary cap for players not on the field for you!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Who's whinging? First of all our squad is not that dreadful. It has holes but we have some good players. The back end of the season proved that.

All I'm saying is he hasn't done anything to prove that he's our long term coach yet.

He doesn't deserve to dictate who we do and don't buy for beyond 2020 when he hasn't been confirmed as the coach for beyond 2020. What is so hard to grasp about that?
Unlike Des I don't think he dictates at all.
He's part of a committee which I think you'll find the head coach at every club would be.
Regardless of whether he coaches beyond 2020, it's near impossible to leave your head coach out of those discussions, unless it's already known he won't be there in 2021 - in which case he'd be smart enough to fall on his sword, surely.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Am I saying fire Pay now? I've said countless times if he proves the last two months weren't a fluke and we have a good season then he'll deserve an extension.

All I'm saying is wait and see before we give him Hasler like autonomy over the entire club and hand him a five year extension...
Which is what so many "true fans" are pining for while the rest of us "whingers" just want to let the results speak for themselves and see how things unfold before we commit any further...

Likewise I'm baffled why this is so hard to understand.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Paying down the debts?

Who you talking about?

Graham, woods, mybe ?

How much is the debt?
I think my previous post gives a pretty good indication. And you left Klemmer off your list.
Why are you so aggressive champion? What's your beef apart from not getting your way with Mitchell (in a contractual sense)?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Am I saying fire Pay now? I've said countless times if he proves the last two months weren't a fluke and we have a good season then he'll deserve an extension.

All I'm saying is wait and see before we give him Hasler like autonomy over the entire club and hand him a five year extension. Likewise I'm baffled why this is so hard to understand.
Couldn't agree more but I think you're mixing the two issues. The post you responded to was about recruitment and cap issues.
The other post is about the coach. And I think we should NEVER give ANYONE Hasler like autonomy again - it was clearly a disaster and we're still paying for it!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Unlike Des I don't think he dictates at all.
He's part of a committee which I think you'll find the head coach at every club would be.
Regardless of whether he coaches beyond 2020, it's near impossible to leave your head coach out of those discussions, unless it's already known he won't be there in 2021 - in which case he'd be smart enough to fall on his sword, surely.
Of course he'll have input as every coach does. I just don't want him having too much to do with the final decision as ultimately it shouldn't be down to him when he's not yet retained as our coach for 2021.

We saw the pitfalls of letting a coach that wasn't going to hang around long term having too much input into recruitment and retention.