News NRL 2020: Injured Canterbury Bulldogs playmaker Kieran Foran Sticking To His Gun’s

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I think he's 100% worth 300k to play 1/3 of a season. Anything better is a bonus. I think it will be 26/75? Which is 1/3.
To take a sc spot denying a fit up and comer who'll play out the year gaining experience? You're mad!

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
“I haven’t produced bang for buck," he said.

You don't say Foran...

In other news the Earth is round...

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
To take a sc spot denying a fit up and comer who'll play out the year gaining experience? You're mad!
Maybe. I think at that price it's well worth this risk tho. If he does play 1/3 of the season then Wakeham (or whoever is next in line) will be playing a lot anyways. If he's injury free (unlikely but possible) we'll have a world class Five-Eighth for 300k (like I've said I think he's worth that for just playing 1/3 of the season). I don't think we should just write off completely re-signing him if the price is right.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Maybe. I think at that price it's well worth this risk tho. If he does play 1/3 of the season then Wakeham (or whoever is next in line) will be playing a lot anyways. If he's injury free (unlikely but possible) we'll have a world class Five-Eighth for 300k (like I've said I think he's worth that for just playing 1/3 of the season). I don't think we should just write off completely re-signing him if the price is right.
The only right price is $2,000 per game :grinning:

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It is the reason that he can only get through a 1/3 of the season which is why our team can not consistently perform. Constant changes in such a crucial position will not produce success.

I see next year as an opportunity to trial combinations (acknowledging that we may not make the 8) to establish who will be our halves pairing in 2021. We have Lewis, Cogger, Wakeham and I think this Bailey Biondi-Odo could be something as well.

Until we clearly define our spine, we will continue to be the mediocre side that we have all aged severely watching for the past 4-5 years.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
It is the reason that he can only get through a 1/3 of the season which is why our team can not consistently perform. Constant changes in such a crucial position will not produce success.

I see next year as an opportunity to trial combinations (acknowledging that we may not make the 8) to establish who will be our halves pairing in 2021. We have Lewis, Cogger, Wakeham and I think this Bailey Biondi-Odo could be something as well.

Until we clearly define our spine, we will continue to be the mediocre side that we have all aged severely watching for the past 4-5 years.
It doesn't help but it isn't the main reason. I'm factoring everything in and for 300k it's worth the risk for me. The main reason for me is that we're lacking talent. Whatever way we put it our team is playing at least 2m under the salary cap. I don't think we can strengthen the Halves with what's on the market for 2021 so I think it's definitely something to consider even for one to two years. When fit Foran is a 1m Half. For 300k (less then 1/3 of his value if he wasn't injury prone) it is a no brainer for me personally.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just no! He's cooked, he was before he came to us, he is worse now!

World class 5/8th lol! What for 2 games a season? Can't wait!

Packstar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
lol.....you are one of the better comedians out on the kennel

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There might be calls from those within the rugby league community for him to hang up the boots - but injured Canterbury Bulldogs five-eighth Kieran Foran is sticking to his guns and has vowed to play on.

After copping a severe shoulder injury in a recent Test match for New Zealand, the 29-year old has had to undergo a latarjet procedure and will next week have a rotator cuff operation.

But speaking to Channel 9 News on Wednesday night, Foran declared his intention to play on - and realises his next contract will not be anywhere near his current $1 million a season deal.

“I’ve already accepted it and already acknowledged it...and you will see just how much I love this game when the time comes," he said.

“It’s not a choice for me. I haven’t achieved what I want to achieve in rugby league yet, I love the game and it’s the only thing I’ve ever done in my life.

"My belief systems are really strong – I believe it is going to turn for me. If I put in the effort and put in the work, I’ve got to get the reward eventually. That’s what I am holding on to.

"Until I’ve got no choice but to walk away, I won’t walk away."

It is a fantastic attitude from Foran, who could quite easily be down on himself and consider listening to the outside noise.

But the fact of the matter is that when he is fit and firing, the former Manly premiership winner is among the best in the business and one of the toughest the NRL have seen.

And when quizzed on the perception that he is 'the worst buy in NRL history' - Foran didn't shy away from the fact he hasn't delivered at Canterbury thus far

“I haven’t produced bang for buck," he said.

"I have spent more time on the sidelines than I have out on the field, but by no means do you sign a contract with the mentality of sitting on the sidelines.'

Foran will miss the majority of the 2020 season as he recovers from his shoulder issues - leaving young gun Lachlan Lewis in charge of steering the Dogs back into the finals.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Just no! He's cooked, he was before he came to us, he is worse now!

World class 5/8th lol! What for 2 games a season? Can't wait!
He has been out for 1/3 of the season over three years. That's including missing all of next season. You don't know what you're talking about.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
lol.....you are one of the better comedians out on the kennel
Having a different view to you doesn't mean I'm a comedian. I'm actually really grateful I don't have the same opinions as you.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if he recovers then assess his game and decide then. If this surgery fixes the shoulder like Slater and he does some more work on his back and hamstrings and plays well then we put an offer on the table for one year with the ‘hardball conversation’ of ‘Keiran take it or leave it?’
If he leaves good luck I don’t think many will touch him and I doubt he would go to superleague with the family situation and no real other nrl club would touch him

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No other club will touch him for 2021. I agree with offering him a 1 year $300K - $400K contract. Surely he wouldn't say no to that ? if stays on the park and performs he can get an upgrade

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe Foran will be eligible for the Veteran and Developed Player Allowance which is capped at 200K per club next year. This could take out a chunk of what he's asking but also means that other teams can get him cheap knowing they are spending 200k less not from their cap to sign him - the only downside would be if they have another veteran in the team then both would share in the 200k amount. We only have Tolman who currently i think they've back-ended his contract to include this amount as he is passed the 10 years in the game to be eligible.

It sounds like Foz wants to remain loyal and wants to payback a club that gave him a chance. We may be able to get him on a cheap 1 year deal and then he would probably hang up the boots. who knows. lol

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At $125,000 per 80mins = $1562.5 per minute so for that 15 min interview Foran earned $23,437.5. Who'd give that up?

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
He has been out for 1/3 of the season over three years. That's including missing all of next season. You don't know what you're talking about.
How many games did he limp off injured?

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The money we could pay him we could buy a half competent hooker

Banned
Reaction score
I'd consider resigning the **** out of pure spite.
Minimum wage for 3-4 years, no bonuses.
Put him in reggies for the entire year and he can be a halves coach.
I'd do this for no other reason than to stop him returning to Des!

Fuck him, fuck Des, fuck Manly, bunch of corrupt elitist pricks!