Pre-season training

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Using the Swans as a example for rugby league training is irrelevant look at the km's they run during a game their aerobic fitness has to be on another level.
I know a trainer at another club and he said that the long runs are a thing of the past and they have been a massive part of our pre-seasons in the last couple of years.
The long distance running would only be something for the beginning of pre season. Players are coming back from a month of holidays / eating shit. It'd just be to kick start the physical and mental condition required to get the players into some form of shape.

I'd be surprised if we are still doing it consistently closer to the beginning of the season.

If we're basing our entire fitness regime after long distance running (and not the start stop explosive training we need to be doing for league) then that'll prove how out of depth pay is and why he'd need to go.

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still don’t know how running ks achieves anything spectacular. For instance, I am a good runner, but I can’t play footy for shit. in my opinion if you are a professional footy player the running and fitness should be a pre req to playing in the nrl. It should be up to the players to ensure they don’t return fat. If they don’t, then they can work themselves to drop the fat come round 1. No point dwelling on it each session. Perhaps move on to offensive skills. It is like going to uni to learn how to hold a pen or type. This is already expected of students!

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Using the Swans as a example for rugby league training is irrelevant look at the km's they run during a game their aerobic fitness has to be on another level.
I know a trainer at another club and he said that the long runs are a thing of the past and they have been a massive part of our pre-seasons in the last couple of years.
Here are some of the many benefits of aerobic exercise:
  • Increases the efficiency of respiration
  • Improves blood volume, distribution, and delivery to muscles
  • Improves cardiovascular efficiency
  • Increases the stroke volume, or the amount of blood pumped from the ventricle during each contraction of the heart
  • Increases cardiac output, or the volume of blood pumped by the heart each minute
  • Decreases resting heart rate
  • Improves the condition and efficiency of breathing muscles
  • Improves the efficiency of movement
  • Improves the body’s ability to use fat as an energy source
  • Improves body composition by decreasing body fat
  • Strengthens muscles
  • Strengthens ligaments, tendons and bones
  • Helps decrease the risk of developing coronary artery disease, cancer and diabetes
  • Helps decrease anxiety and stress
  • Helps you feel better overall.
I think all these points are very relevant in the modern game.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here are some of the many benefits of aerobic exercise:
  • Increases the efficiency of respiration
  • Improves blood volume, distribution, and delivery to muscles
  • Improves cardiovascular efficiency
  • Increases the stroke volume, or the amount of blood pumped from the ventricle during each contraction of the heart
  • Increases cardiac output, or the volume of blood pumped by the heart each minute
  • Decreases resting heart rate
  • Improves the condition and efficiency of breathing muscles
  • Improves the efficiency of movement
  • Improves the body’s ability to use fat as an energy source
  • Improves body composition by decreasing body fat
  • Strengthens muscles
  • Strengthens ligaments, tendons and bones
  • Helps decrease the risk of developing coronary artery disease, cancer and diabetes
  • Helps decrease anxiety and stress
  • Helps you feel better overall
There's a lot more to a professional sports team fitness then goggling the benefits of aerobic exercise and using that.
I hope we are fit to start the season but going off previous years and there being no staff changes I'm not holding my breath.
If we want to do anything in the comp with the style of football we play we just can't be as fit as other teams we have to be the fittest.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Fitness isn't purely physical. A lot of people went off at the team for poor fitness in the first two rounds of 2019 when we get smacked. Round 3 was a good victory over Wests, round 4 was the game we coulda/shoulda won over the Storm, the one that Stimson is talking about.

The team wasn't mentally fit at the start of the season, and it showed in the tired legs and deficit of extra efforts. After a good win in round 3 fitness was remarkably improved for round 4. That is more mental than physical.
And the fact that we have no game breakers to give the boys a lift with a try out of nothing. They have to bash and barge and toil for yardage in the red zone.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a lot more to a professional sports team fitness then goggling the benefits of aerobic exercise and using that.
I hope we are fit to start the season but going off previous years and there being no staff changes I'm not holding my breath.
If we want to do anything in the comp with the style of football we play we just can't be as fit as other teams we have to be the fittest.
Its probably why there doing extra running lol.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Sure fitness is important. But our biggest problem last season was our cattle Simply didn’t compare well to others. Take a super fit Adam Elliott for example matched up with a tevita pangai junior,
briton nikora, Etc. It doesn’t matter how “fit” our players our when they can’t match the skill and power of the opposition. We need better players not fitter players
I've gotta agree. A few of our forwards are old school prototypes and too short and nuggety and not mobile enough.

We need to be addressing this with our future recruitment.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay just needs to play the first grade team for 80 minutes x 2 trials..
The team is pretty much settled unless he wants to give averillo/ wakeham a run ..
It's called match fitness and we cannot afford to gain this fitness during the opening rounds
I've gotta agree. A few of our forwards are old school prototypes and too short and nuggety and not mobile enough.

We need to be addressing this with our future recruitment.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I wonder if we're even doing a lactate test or if they're just running for the sake of running lol.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Over the last two seasons the Dogs have been off the pace for the first few games at least - what was obvious through all grades at the beginning of last year was that defensively the Dogs sides struggled with defence, whether it was to do with technique or physical strength I couldnt tell. Off loads, falling off tackles and just being dominated by attacking players was evident. Players who had previously been considered good defensively, struggled. Improved mid year - suggests they got something wrong in pre season - hopefully sorted it out for this preseason.

Training shorts are better!