Latrell Mitchell Discussion Megathread

Is Latrell worth $1 Million?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are offering 3.8m over 4 years something we can easily achieve now with forans money for next year
Is that what they are offering... WOW. Ok he aint comin here then haha.

Who knows how he will go honestly, its all upto him. He will have a huge point to prove, wouldn't surprise me if he smashes it.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me if someone not even in the race signs him, or us that's pulled out openly. Funny how these public signings turn out.

Hoping its us :-)
I think there would be nothing that would hurt the roosters more than if we signed Latrell for the same money they were offering him. As much of a risk as it is to sign this kid I’d rather a Latrell with a point to prove than a BJ Leilua looking for his last pay check

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well this hasn't exactly panned out as Mitchell and his cadre of advisors would have foreseen. No scramble for his sig, no feeding frenzy, no beating down his door with ever increasing offers. Only two clubs showing interest and one of those was using him to secure another player!

Has to be a lesson in there somewhere.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well this hasn't exactly panned out as Mitchell and his cadre of advisors would have foreseen. No scramble for his sig, no feeding frenzy, no beating down his door with ever increasing offers. Only two clubs showing interest and one of those was using him to secure another player!

Has to be more behind the scenes between Mitchell and Robinson/Roosters for it to pan out this way.
Wouldn't be surprised now if Roosters did in fact chip in a small amount to offload him, its gone too far now for him to stay.

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score

I think the old saying of 'his ambition outweighed his talent' comes to mind...

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has to be more behind the scenes between Mitchell and Robinson/Roosters for it to pan out this way.
Wouldn't be surprised now if Roosters did in fact chip in a small amount to offload him, its gone too far now for him to stay.
100% agree. There has been a major falling out between him and the club. I can honestly say I've never seen us so willing to kick a high profile, superstar player out so dramatically or so publicly before.

It's now being reported he'll play for Norths if he can't secure a deal. I can see this scenario happening if he signs with lol@souffs, we'll make him rot in reserves before releasing him to that crud club.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Don't cross the Godfather or he'll make you an offer you can't refuse...he runs the NRLol.

Funnily I can see LM enjoying footy and performing way better at the Bulldogs than Tigers...that will not last with Madge.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I still reckon he will end up at Soufs...Rusty likes to buy "stars" and there has been no obvious GI replacement + plenty of fellow indigenous at the club with lots of talent.

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am hearing from a source at the tigers that Latrell Mitchell is a done deal there. I still don’t get why we stopped chasing him. Is it just because he wants to play fullback?? I just don’t get it. The roosters are willing to let one of the best players walk and we are pulling out of the race when I think we have more money that most other clubs to spend. Like it is either the club doesn’t have a calculator or is blind not to see latrell’s potential.

Regardless, we are still waiting for the club to sign someone for next year. So they haven’t even decided to swoop on someone else instead of Latrell. Starting to think it is not going to happen. Meanwhile the eels have just signed the whole Comp

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
100% agree. There has been a major falling out between him and the club. I can honestly say I've never seen us so willing to kick a high profile, superstar player out so dramatically or so publicly before.

It's now being reported he'll play for Norths if he can't secure a deal. I can see this scenario happening if he signs with lol@souffs, we'll make him rot in reserves before releasing him to that crud club.
If Mitchell doesn't sign anywhere next year and plays reserves, wonder if the players union can take action against the roosters for any ethical breach. It's definitely not in the spirit of the game you play a premier centre in a feeder club simply because he thought he's entitled or worth more after this contract is up.
This behavior has really put a scare in other recruits trying to negotiate now for 2021. The NRL laws are not protecting legitimate negotiations.
I'm hoping in our case that the club is withholding any signings announcements for 2021 as a gesture of good faith to the players to avoid similar ramifications as mentioned above.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Mitchell doesn't sign anywhere next year and plays reserves, wonder if the players union can take action against the roosters for any ethical breach. It's definitely not in the spirit of the game you play a premier centre in a feeder club simply because he thought he's entitled or worth more after this contract is up.
This behavior has really put a scare in other recruits trying to negotiate now for 2021. The NRL laws are not protecting legitimate negotiations.
I'm hoping in our case that the club is withholding any signings announcements for 2021 as a gesture of good faith to the players to avoid similar ramifications as mentioned above.
The code has a long history of clubs putting first graders in reserves for reasons not associated with form. Bennett did it to Justin Hodges when he signed with us in 2001. Brian Smith put a first grader in reserves at Newcastle, can't remember his name, as he had a clause in his contract that added another year if he played X amount of first grade games in the previous year, so Smithy put him in reserves so that clause would not get enacted.

Us putting Mitchell in reserves would only happen if he signs with lol@souffs and that's only so Nick can bur up Crowe and Richardson as he loves to do.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I am hearing from a source at the tigers that Latrell Mitchell is a done deal there. I still don’t get why we stopped chasing him. Is it just because he wants to play fullback?? I just don’t get it. The roosters are willing to let one of the best players walk and we are pulling out of the race when I think we have more money that most other clubs to spend. Like it is either the club doesn’t have a calculator or is blind not to see latrell’s potential.

Regardless, we are still waiting for the club to sign someone for next year. So they haven’t even decided to swoop on someone else instead of Latrell. Starting to think it is not going to happen. Meanwhile the eels have just signed the whole Comp
It could also be we couldn't fit him in for next year without moving players on or doing something crazy.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
No comment on the RLPA etc - but I do agree with your view on 2021 - whether or not situations are similar to Mitchell or not - I think it's common sense to say nothing for now.
Most highly paid / highly valued employees are shown the door immediately on resignation - they don't serve notice periods, unless it's on gardening leave. And most clubs if they can't negotiate an immediate transfer won't choose gardening leave because they're paying that player too much not to play them.
So let's assume that the Dogs have either secured some players for 2021 or are in late stage negotiations - but are telling those players and their managers 'We are not in a position to take you for 2020 if your club wants you to leave immediately, so we will announce the deal at an agreed time in 2020'.
I think most clubs are playing a similar game too - it's why no-one has announced a change of club for 2021 yet.
This whole idea of 1 November 12 months before the season in question lifting the lid on a raft of signing announcements never made sense to me - and I think the NRL should perhaps look into this policy - it's somewhat misleading.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

How do you pay a million dollars for a player that has not proven himself at fullback for a whole season?

Let's say he doesn't work out at fullback (i can tell you teams will be putting up missiles to test him out), does he then become a million dollar centre?

I like how the Dogs have gone about these negotiations. It is obvious they didn't like something Mitchell and his manager put forward. This tells me the board see that no player is bigger than the club.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The code has a long history of clubs putting first graders in reserves for reasons not associated with form. Bennett did it to Justin Hodges when he signed with us in 2001. Brian Smith put a first grader in reserves at Newcastle, can't remember his name, as he had a clause in his contract that added another year if he played X amount of first grade games in the previous year, so Smithy put him in reserves so that clause would not get enacted.

Us putting Mitchell in reserves would only happen if he signs with lol@souffs and that's only so Nick can bur up Crowe and Richardson as he loves to do.
I didn't realize you where a roosters supporter. All good :grinning:
I probably made a short story long to get to the point of us not making any announcements for 2021 that we're all craving for.
Don't think any clubs have made similar announcements.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

If he ends up with a 4 x $1m deal with the WT then that's a good outcome for him.

Honestly I can't see what the kid has done wrong.
He is a fantastic rugby league player and will certainly strengthen the WT team.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Has this **** signed with the Tigers yet?
No and he had meetings with the Cowboys (Green) recently (spotted/photos taken). So he isn't 100% on the Tigers.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he ends up with a 4 x $1m deal with the WT then that's a good outcome for him.

Honestly I can't see what the kid has done wrong.
He is a fantastic rugby league player and will certainly strengthen the WT team.
Agree, a brilliant player and I loved watching him, but I get the feeling he's playing the Tigers waiting for lol@souffs to get their Burgess money to offer him. And from everything I've read and heard, he's high maintenance off the field, so its a big risk.