Pre-season training

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
100% that interview left me perplexed. Gotta work those fast twitch muscle fibres for explosive movement in an explosive game... Obviously this can be done in the gym. But yeah long distance running will only get you so far.
As for the scripted comments about playing with Tolman and Eliiot haha please he came here because of money and a better / guaranteed chance of starting
Too right !!!

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I know it's only early...
But did you notice the beer gut on some of the players :fearscream:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I certainly hope we also have sessions where we work on the explosive side of the game. But getting their Cardio work in early can potentially be a good thing.

We'll just have to see how the team goes when kickoff gets here. There's no use in panicking because one player has said that training regimes are different here.

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Aside from building mental toughness, it’s hard to see the benefit or relevance of 2km time trials to rugby league fitness in 2020.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first two games last season were a train wreck. In my view a lot of that was due to poor player selection. Those high scring defeats crulled the whole season.

I liked the thoughts of Paul Roos on the importance of defence. Sadly lacking from the dogs at the start of the season. Paul says players have attacking skills but you have to drum defence into them. Here is what he said which perhaps echos the 'dogs of war' objective.

Third, teams that win sports championships throughout the world are the best defensively. People sometimes think they’re not doing enough in attack during a regular season but come finals time, defence invariably wins competitions. Attack-and-talent based teams have their good days during a season and beat the best teams. But great defensive teams create pressure and turnovers.

They win high-pressure games. They’re physical and aggressive. The team no one else wants to play — that’s where you want to get to. Strong defensive teams can still be high scoring, because points are needed on the board, but that comes after the real work gets done.

At an elite level, your players already have attacking skill. You have to drum the hard-nosed, unglamorous sides of the game into them. You want to frustrate the opposition. Build a defence that no other team finds easy to break.

It was our mantra at the Demons — be the team everyone hates playing. That doesn’t come from playing fancy. You get tough around the football.

Be defensively strong and consistent and keep building on that. Be physical. Be tough to score against. Offence is talent, and defence is mentality. Defence is more controllable. Everyone can be taught a consistent defensive mindset.

There’s more talented players than not when you’re a high-level coach. Ball in hand, they’re ahead of the curve. If anything needs to be drummed into them, it’s the basics. Over and over again. Until it’s boring. Because boring makes you good. Boring makes you consistent. Boring gives you regular behaviours and selections and the execution of game plans. Then you add your imaginative layers. But there’s a simplicity to knowing what everyone’s role is. How you act and behave on and off the field.

If you’re a behavioural-based team, your performance rarely drops. I think of Hawthorn and the Melbourne Storm. If you’re a talent-based, experimental team, you’ll have your good days when you beat one of the better teams. But it won’t last, and it will crack under pressure. The great teams have loads of talent … but they have a focus on behaviours, roles, routines and the basics.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
scoring and cruelled autocorrect gremlin again

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I’ve noticed about the Storm for a while now is Bellamy keeping them at a consistent high all season leads to them struggling at the end. They are always Minor prems or thereabouts but have struggled to get the major. By the end they look disinterested, tired, and out of ideas.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Agree muzzle them

Too much talk pre season like Lewis and his ‘pay wants us to play eyes up footy’

‘We will surprise teams’

Blah blah and produce jack shit until our season was over then win games that didn’t matter
Exactly.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
We had the dogs of war defence in the back end of last season. If we have that from the start of next season that'd be great. We're still lacking in creating and scoring points tho. It isn't feasible to win every arm wrestle. We could do so well for 30 minutes and then we make one error or penalty and we're behind (that's the hardest to recover from too). Still need that someone (and a few of them) to create something out of nothing. I think it's more a personnel problem with our backs then just needing to work on skills. Last season showed for me at least that we have a very good base to work with. Just need to bring in what we're missing.
Agree - and this is not a Dean Pay comment from the script - but at the beginning of 2019 we did have a huge amount of inexperience. We should be better for that starting 2020 and several blokes having 20+ games under their belts now.

Obviously not all of them will make it and we still need quality in some positions but we’re a better chance of starting 2020 stronger than we were 2019 in my view. Here’s hoping.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure fitness is important. But our biggest problem last season was our cattle Simply didn’t compare well to others. Take a super fit Adam Elliott for example matched up with a tevita pangai junior,
briton nikora, Etc. It doesn’t matter how “fit” our players our when they can’t match the skill and power of the opposition. We need better players not fitter players

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The first two games last season were a train wreck. In my view a lot of that was due to poor player selection. Those high scring defeats crulled the whole season.

I liked the thoughts of Paul Roos on the importance of defence. Sadly lacking from the dogs at the start of the season. Paul says players have attacking skills but you have to drum defence into them. Here is what he said which perhaps echos the 'dogs of war' objective.

Third, teams that win sports championships throughout the world are the best defensively. People sometimes think they’re not doing enough in attack during a regular season but come finals time, defence invariably wins competitions. Attack-and-talent based teams have their good days during a season and beat the best teams. But great defensive teams create pressure and turnovers.

They win high-pressure games. They’re physical and aggressive. The team no one else wants to play — that’s where you want to get to. Strong defensive teams can still be high scoring, because points are needed on the board, but that comes after the real work gets done.

At an elite level, your players already have attacking skill. You have to drum the hard-nosed, unglamorous sides of the game into them. You want to frustrate the opposition. Build a defence that no other team finds easy to break.

It was our mantra at the Demons — be the team everyone hates playing. That doesn’t come from playing fancy. You get tough around the football.

Be defensively strong and consistent and keep building on that. Be physical. Be tough to score against. Offence is talent, and defence is mentality. Defence is more controllable. Everyone can be taught a consistent defensive mindset.

There’s more talented players than not when you’re a high-level coach. Ball in hand, they’re ahead of the curve. If anything needs to be drummed into them, it’s the basics. Over and over again. Until it’s boring. Because boring makes you good. Boring makes you consistent. Boring gives you regular behaviours and selections and the execution of game plans. Then you add your imaginative layers. But there’s a simplicity to knowing what everyone’s role is. How you act and behave on and off the field.

If you’re a behavioural-based team, your performance rarely drops. I think of Hawthorn and the Melbourne Storm. If you’re a talent-based, experimental team, you’ll have your good days when you beat one of the better teams. But it won’t last, and it will crack under pressure. The great teams have loads of talent … but they have a focus on behaviours, roles, routines and the basics.
THIS...1000%

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
What I’ve noticed about the Storm for a while now is Bellamy keeping them at a consistent high all season leads to them struggling at the end. They are always Minor prems or thereabouts but have struggled to get the major. By the end they look disinterested, tired, and out of ideas.
True.

Madge seems to have the same problem - he showed it at Soufs and won a comp but then lost the playing group. How that translates to the Tigers we’ll only see when they build a quality roster - they like us are still suffering through the back-end of previous poor recruitment decisions.

It’s like any extreme position - usually ultimately fails - you can’t be a dictator but you can’t be their mate either.

That’s why as much as I hate the Chooks - to go back to back in today’s game is a very tall order and you gotta admire that achievement. Yes, that hurt to say...

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
All sounds an looks promising ... here’s to 2020.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The club put up a interview with Joe Stimson after his first few days and it is a concern that he said the fitness drills are so different to Melbourne. I'm not saying we should be copying the Storm exactly but our previous pre-season's under Pay have involved lots of long distance running and lots of clubs stopped training this way years ago. Our fitness has been a problem at the season since Pay arrived but it doesn't look like anything has changed unfortunately.

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2019/11/20/stimson-checks-in-at-belmore/
Disagree with your comment about clubs not doing distance running.
Aerobic exercise is a vital part of any training regime. All clubs do it. The Sydney Swans do four KLM runs on a regular basis,
and times are kept to see who has improved and who hasnt.
The alternative to aerobic training is anaerobic training, which involves weight training etc.
The benefits of endurance training is an essential element of Rugby League.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought we were OK fitness wise last year (after the first two or three rounds) but it was strength and power that was lacking throughout.

Our players over the last few years tend to just hit the line and submit to tackles whereas the opposition hit the line and fight to move forward.

I want to see this change next season.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
True.

Madge seems to have the same problem - he showed it at Soufs and won a comp but then lost the playing group. How that translates to the Tigers we’ll only see when they build a quality roster - they like us are still suffering through the back-end of previous poor recruitment decisions.

It’s like any extreme position - usually ultimately fails - you can’t be a dictator but you can’t be their mate either.

That’s why as much as I hate the Chooks - to go back to back in today’s game is a very tall order and you gotta admire that achievement. Yes, that hurt to say...
Yup, and you can see Robbo has the team going through high's and lows, but peaking at finals time. We seem to peak around the same time (bit earlier really), starting from a low but in our case a lack of experience makes the lows even lower and looonger (well thats how it feels anyway ;) ).

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought we were OK fitness wise last year (after the first two or three rounds) but it was strength and power that was lacking throughout.

Our players over the last few years tend to just hit the line and submit to tackles whereas the opposition hit the line and fight to move forward.

Yes, I want us hitting hard in defence AND attack, Ogre-style.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

I do also, our main problem I think was keeping the same team on the park, we had too many interrupted halves pairings throughout the year adding to that very inexperienced 6, 7, 9 which was always going to be a struggle.
Going into next season with a fit spine (touch wood) and a decent pre-season will do wonders.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

This rings true on so many levels. What is the constant refrain about good young players who are doing well at Cup level? We want to see them make the step up to firsts, but "they need to work on their defense". When Roos talks about drumming the hard stuff of the game into the players it makes a lot of sense.

Toughness, physical and mental, is key to a successful campaign.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Disagree with your comment about clubs not doing distance running.
Aerobic exercise is a vital part of any training regime. All clubs do it. The Sydney Swans do four KLM runs on a regular basis,
and times are kept to see who has improved and who hasnt.
The alternative to aerobic training is anaerobic training, which involves weight training etc.
The benefits of endurance training is an essential element of Rugby League.
Using the Swans as a example for rugby league training is irrelevant look at the km's they run during a game their aerobic fitness has to be on another level.
I know a trainer at another club and he said that the long runs are a thing of the past and they have been a massive part of our pre-seasons in the last couple of years.