News NRL 2020: Injured Canterbury Bulldogs playmaker Kieran Foran Sticking To His Gun’s

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There might be calls from those within the rugby league community for him to hang up the boots - but injured Canterbury Bulldogs five-eighth Kieran Foran is sticking to his guns and has vowed to play on.

After copping a severe shoulder injury in a recent Test match for New Zealand, the 29-year old has had to undergo a latarjet procedure and will next week have a rotator cuff operation.

But speaking to Channel 9 News on Wednesday night, Foran declared his intention to play on - and realises his next contract will not be anywhere near his current $1 million a season deal.

“I’ve already accepted it and already acknowledged it...and you will see just how much I love this game when the time comes," he said.

“It’s not a choice for me. I haven’t achieved what I want to achieve in rugby league yet, I love the game and it’s the only thing I’ve ever done in my life.

"My belief systems are really strong – I believe it is going to turn for me. If I put in the effort and put in the work, I’ve got to get the reward eventually. That’s what I am holding on to.

"Until I’ve got no choice but to walk away, I won’t walk away."

It is a fantastic attitude from Foran, who could quite easily be down on himself and consider listening to the outside noise.

But the fact of the matter is that when he is fit and firing, the former Manly premiership winner is among the best in the business and one of the toughest the NRL have seen.

And when quizzed on the perception that he is 'the worst buy in NRL history' - Foran didn't shy away from the fact he hasn't delivered at Canterbury thus far

“I haven’t produced bang for buck," he said.

"I have spent more time on the sidelines than I have out on the field, but by no means do you sign a contract with the mentality of sitting on the sidelines.'

Foran will miss the majority of the 2020 season as he recovers from his shoulder issues - leaving young gun Lachlan Lewis in charge of steering the Dogs back into the finals.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I laughed way too hard at a certain paragraph.

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
There might be calls from those within the rugby league community for him to hang up the boots - but injured Canterbury Bulldogs five-eighth Kieran Foran is sticking to his guns and has vowed to play on.

After copping a severe shoulder injury in a recent Test match for New Zealand, the 29-year old has had to undergo a latarjet procedure and will next week have a rotator cuff operation.

But speaking to Channel 9 News on Wednesday night, Foran declared his intention to play on - and realises his next contract will not be anywhere near his current $1 million a season deal.

“I’ve already accepted it and already acknowledged it...and you will see just how much I love this game when the time comes," he said.

“It’s not a choice for me. I haven’t achieved what I want to achieve in rugby league yet, I love the game and it’s the only thing I’ve ever done in my life.

"My belief systems are really strong – I believe it is going to turn for me. If I put in the effort and put in the work, I’ve got to get the reward eventually. That’s what I am holding on to.

"Until I’ve got no choice but to walk away, I won’t walk away."

It is a fantastic attitude from Foran, who could quite easily be down on himself and consider listening to the outside noise.

But the fact of the matter is that when he is fit and firing, the former Manly premiership winner is among the best in the business and one of the toughest the NRL have seen.

And when quizzed on the perception that he is 'the worst buy in NRL history' - Foran didn't shy away from the fact he hasn't delivered at Canterbury thus far

“I haven’t produced bang for buck," he said.

"I have spent more time on the sidelines than I have out on the field, but by no means do you sign a contract with the mentality of sitting on the sidelines.'

Foran will miss the majority of the 2020 season as he recovers from his shoulder issues - leaving young gun Lachlan Lewis in charge of steering the Dogs back into the finals.
I love his attitude, never give up

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously over it, I mean good on ya mate for believing you can come back from this. But ffs I’m over hearing about how he won’t walk away and all that yada yada yada.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Turn for him? That’s not attitude, that Delusional! Wake up and snort the coke!

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The only sensible thing he said is he hasn't produced bang for buck for us.

I wonder if any club would seriously consider signing him.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The only sensible thing he said is he hasn't produced bang for buck for us.

I wonder if any club would seriously consider signing him.
I could easily see the Knights signing him. Clubs are desperate to sign a quality half and plenty will be willing to take a punt on him... difference is these clubs probably won't be anywhere near as dumb as us and offer him millions.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I could easily see the Knights signing him. Clubs are desperate to sign a quality half and plenty will be willing to take a punt on him... difference is these clubs probably won't be anywhere near as dumb as us and offer him millions.
I wouldn’t even be surprised if we offer him something to stay...

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Wouldn't be surprised if St George shows interest, they love that type of signing.

Part of me says he should stay at minimum wage for a couple of years to repay us, the other part just wants to see the back of him.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
File this in the ‘Mark My Words’ thread and see what Foran has to say in August 2020 when he’s just about got all his money:

‘The recovery hasn’t quite gone to plan, has taken longer than hoped and as much as I hate to accept this, I’m taking Doctor’s advice and today announcing my retirement - but it was never about the money’...

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Normally I would love such belief but this **** needs to be taken to a loony bin. What was that figure recently per game 122k mark? By this time next year after no-more game it will look even more ridiculous. I just have this terrible feeling these guys in charge will sign him on again too, you just watch! I'm actually growing hatred for the **** when I always respected him.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Fans more selfish than Foran :D. I love seeing people cursing Foran to retire for their own gain and they try and spin some narrative that it's best for Foran. I think he should be re-signed on a small contract. If not he's going to go to Manly and be injury free.

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Honestly I would be ok with re-signing him if... and this is a big if... if he is willing to take a contract of say 2 or 300000. The surgeon who is doing the next op is the same one that did Billy Slater's shoulder and he came back as good as ever. So would be happy to but not on anywhere near the money he is getting now. Will be interesting to see what he is willing to take

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Honestly I would be ok with re-signing him if... and this is a big if... if he is willing to take a contract of say 2 or 300000. The surgeon who is doing the next op is the same one that did Billy Slater's shoulder and he came back as good as ever. So would be happy to but not on anywhere near the money he is getting now. Will be interesting to see what he is willing to take
Before his last injury I wanted to re-sign him for about 500k. This latest injury possibly even less now. 300k for someone of Foran's talent even for 1/3 games a season is massive. I'm pretty confident someone else will pick him up for that if we don't re-sign him. No doubt he's a 1m Half when fit so we can just make sure we have an appropriate back up (or sign someone top tier to play alongside him). We already have Lewis and Wakeham too. If we play Wakeham this season we can get him to re-sign.