Half measures? Cameron Smith in line for shock Melbourne Storm positional switch to No.7

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
  • November 20, 2019 6:50am
  • by Staff writers
Cameron Smith, the greatest hooker of all time, is set to make a shock switch to halfback at the Storm that would rank among the greatest positional gambles in rugby league history.
The Sydney Morning Herald broke the story late on Tuesday night, revealing that the former Queensland Origin and Australian Kangaroos captain discussed the possible move at a meeting with the Storm hierachy — which included coach Craig Bellamy — last week.

The Storm have struggled to settle on a regular halfback since Cooper Cronk left the club to join the Roosters two years ago, with Brodie Croft failing to nail down the role last season.

Croft played the majority of the campaign but was replaced in the No.7 jersey by fullback Jahrome Hughes for the finals series, with Ryan Papenhuyzen taking over the custodian role.

Smith has revolutionised the way the game is played out of dummyhalf but he’s also, at times, collected the ball at first receiver in directing the Storm attack.

Under the planned proposal, Smith would partner Cameron Munster in the halves, Brandon Smith would become the new fulltime hooker and Papenhuyzen would remain at fullback.

Hughes would shift to the centres to cover for the expected departure of Curtis Scott to Canberra, which would also serve to relieve some salary cap pressures on the Storm.

The Herald says a final decision hasn’t been made on whether to go ahead with the plan, however all the parties are open to reconfiguring the Storm spine.

But it’s another clear sign that Croft is at long odds to regain his No.7 jersey. He had been in talks with Broncos coach Anthony Seibold to kickstart his career up north but those talks are reported to have broken down.

The 36-year-old Smith had only recently confirmed that he planned to play on again in 2020 for what would be a 19th NRL season after admitting he was considering his future after the Storm’s season ended in a preliminary final loss to the Roosters earlier this year.

“I haven’t spoken to Craig officially about next year; we’ve had some discussions about the way I’ve pulled up from the season just gone and where I’m at, at the moment, with my thoughts on next year,” Smith told AAP last week.

“I must say I feel a lot better than I did a week or two weeks after we finished up. It takes a little bit to get over that disappointment, I guess more so now being older and knowing that the chances are running out.

“But I feel a lot better now about playing on next year and this will be a good chance to see what his thoughts are.”

A shift into from hooker to halfback could have a number of benefits for Smith and the Storm. Smith made 1,059 tackles last season at an average of 39 per match, a load that would drop dramatically if he is no longer defending in the middle of the field.

It could even prolong Smith’s career and tempt him to play on in 2021, giving him the chance to increase his games appearance record to a mark that will never be challenged.

The move would also allow provide an opportunity for Brandon Smith to become more involved while still learning from the game’s best hooker, assisting the transition to when Smith eventually retires.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Tells me a couple of things here, Croft is on the way out and the Storm have sweet FA depth if they plan on playing Hughes at Centre. Cant see the Storm being as dominant from next season if this is the case.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hughes is an extremely under-rated player that seems to always punch above his weight in any position. I'd expect him to be just as good in the centres.

Cameron Smith at Halfback isn't a bad idea. Gives him a new challenge to finish his career off and gives Brandon Smith the chance to own that role while the best Hooker to play the game is out there with him.

Storm will always be a top 4 side. Issue is when September time comes they can't go another level.

Last edited:

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
I think he would struggle defending wider, there is less direct help and faster guys to handle

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hughes is an extremely under-rated player that seems to always punch above his weight in any position. I'd expect him to be just as good in the centres.

Smith at Halfback isn't a bad idea. Gives him a new challenge to finish his career off and gives Smith the chance to own that role while the best Hooker to play the game is out there with him.

Storm will always be a top 4 side. Issue is when September time comes they can't go another level.
I just don't think hes big enough or has the Defensive capability for a Centre. Time will tell though.
Agree he's skilled, just not a Halfback or Centre imo.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Cameron Smith at Halfback isn't a bad idea. Gives him a new challenge to finish his career off and gives Brandon Smith the chance to own that role while the best Hooker to play the game is out there with him.

Hughes is a great player, needs to be the fulltime fullback at a club.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

Would take him as our fullback tbh.
1. Hughes
2. DWZ
3. Averillo
4. Hopoate
5. Smith
Is good enough for me

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Storms best halfback is a hooker?

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
so h grant is behind brandon smith, seems like an opportunity for us

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Bellamy and Smith poured cold water on this today. Smith has always gone into first receiver numerous times during games throughout his career but I doubt Bellamy will move the greatest hooker of all time from his preferred position.

Smith made enough impact as a bench forward that he can still contribute. I agree, if Grant is available the club should make enquiries.

But surely this will be Cam's last season so I'm sure Melbourne will be assuring Smith and Grant that they'll be heavily involved once he finally retires so both will likely stay where they are.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I like it.. B Smith needs to be on the field and Cameron.. well fuck.. play him anywhere really...

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
7. C. Smith
9. Grant

14. B. Smith

Is what I hope they don't do...
We need to be enquiring about Grant now, I hope we are...