Man found not guilty of murdering burglar who stole wife's handbag

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Man found not guilty of murdering burglar who stole wife's handbag

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/worl...room-fight-with-student/ar-BBWVkv5?ocid=ientp

A man accused of killing a burglar who broke into his home and stole his wife's handbag has been found not guilty of murder and manslaughter.

Benjamin Batterham, 36, spent two weeks on trial in Newcastle Supreme Court over the 2016 death of Richard Slater, 34, who broke into his home and stole his wife's handbag.

More to come.

Thoughts??

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You come into my family home illegally, your fair game in my opinion.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Could of went either way, the thief had been on ice and had health issues, sure he fucked up and sucked.
City with anxiety issues, the Doctors surgeries are lined up down the street.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Should be more of it ,the bloke will never break into another house and cause anyone distress 100% rehabilitated .If it's not yours don't take it very fucking simple .

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I will say that firstly, i'm anti death penalty, and also not a huge fan of vigilantism.

BUT, if you break into someone's home, all bets are off, and what happens, happens. You have lost your right to safety.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I will say that firstly, i'm anti death penalty, and also not a huge fan of vigilantism.

BUT, if you break into someone's home, all bets are off, and what happens, happens. You have lost your right to safety.
Spot on. Too much of this crap goes on these days and its the innocent people doing the right thing that are constantly punished.
Break into my house you wont be walking out. No one comes before my family.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Spot on. Too much of this crap goes on these days and its the innocent people doing the right thing that are constantly punished.
Break into my house you wont be walking out. No one comes before my family.
I'm not necessary condoning violence myself (i'm very much a lover not a fighter), but just that if something happens, it happens. If someone broke into my house, i am unlikely to have the intention to kill them or even injure them, but if something was to happen to that person, I should be free from consequences. If that makes sense?

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The criminals family outside the court want justice? The best thing was seeing that fat piece of shit on life support before they pulled the plug ,hopefully it's a bit of justice for the 16 girl he also raped .

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm not necessary condoning violence myself (i'm very much a lover not a fighter), but just that if something happens, it happens. If someone broke into my house, i am unlikely to have the intention to kill them or even injure them, but if something was to happen to that person, I should be free from consequences. If that makes sense?
Yes totally agree, and understand. And that is what we are legally able to do, but its damn hard to justify anything even though they are clearly breaking the law. You are allowed to use appropriate action (They come at you with a knife you can react legally same way) or some shit like that.

Very grey...

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We used to have court cases by the criminal wanting to sue people for hurting themselves while breaking into their houses...… and winning FFS!!!

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Updated

A man accused of killing a burglar who broke into his home and stole his wife's handbag has been found not guilty of murder and manslaughter.

Benjamin Batterham, 36, spent two weeks on trial in Newcastle Supreme Court over the 2016 death of Richard Slater, 34, who broke into his home and stole his wife's handbag.

Mr Batterham was charged with murder on the basis he intended to kill Slater when he performed a citizen's arrest after the burglary.

There was also a back-up charge of manslaughter as the Crown argued he acted illegally and went too far.

However today a jury found Mr Batterham not guilty of both offences.

Upon hearing the verdicts, he clasped his hands and appeared relieved.

Slater's family could be heard yelling and screaming as they left the court.

The court heard that following the burglary, Mr Batterham chased Mr Slater 330 metres down the street and a struggle ensued.

Slater bit Mr Batterham as the fight between the pair then escalated, the jury was told.

Slater had three heart attacks, lost consciousness and died in hospital after his life support was turned off.

During the trial, the Crown argued Mr Batterham choked Slater to death.

But Mr Batterham's lawyers said Slater died from organ failure as a result of his obesity, an undiagnosed heart condition and the toxic levels of the drug ice in his system.

Justice Desmond Fagan spent several hours directing the jury and told them the chokehold on Slater would normally constitute an assault but they had to decide if it was an unlawful act during a citizen's arrest.

He said Mr Batterham was permitted by law to use reasonable force to detain someone who had committed an offence and stop them from escaping until police arrived.

Justice Fagan said Mr Batterham would be not guilty if he believed he was defending himself from being bitten and attacked.

During the trial, the jury were read a letter from Mr Batterham which said he was angry at the time, but had no intention of killing Slater.

"I wanted to apprehend him and get back was stolen," the letter read.

In 2016, Slater's mother, Beryl Dickson, said it was a tragedy that his children would grow up without a father.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So not really the step in the right direction as I first thought. Died of natural causes is why he wasn't charged.....

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
But Mr Batterham's lawyers said Slater died from organ failure as a result of his obesity, an undiagnosed heart condition and the toxic levels of the drug ice in his system.
Ice strikes again.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I remember at the time one of the counter arguments was that it wasn't just a split second thing, and the guy chased the perp down the road and therefore went beyond what he should have.

I guess he was able to successfully argue his intention was purely to get the bag back (fair enough). Sounds like the junkie mostly died from his own habit and medical conditions rather than having the shit kicked out of him.

Plenty of people will say things like: "i'll protect my family with my life" etc, but I can guarantee you that taking someone's life would not be something you could easily shake off, regardless of how it happens. Mr Batterham still has to live with what happened as well...

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I remember at the time one of the counter arguments was that it wasn't just a split second thing, and the guy chased the perp down the road and therefore went beyond what he should have.

I guess he was able to successfully argue his intention was purely to get the bag back (fair enough). Sounds like the junkie mostly died from his own habit and medical conditions rather than having the shit kicked out of him.

Plenty of people will say things like: "i'll protect my family with my life" etc, but I can guarantee you that taking someone's life would not be something you could easily shake off, regardless of how it happens. Mr Batterham still has to live with what happened as well...
Cant deny it would be hard as to make that decision, but if it was them or my family and myself its quite an easy decision. Not just talking about this instance obviously. Everyone has a right to defend themselves and their homes, well they should.
Its what you get told when you do a firearm licence about burglars etc. People always ask can I get my gun and shoot the bastard, and they tell you if you have enough time to get safe keys, get firearm, get other safe keys get ammo etc then you have enough time to flee with your family. That is total BS. Even though they don't agree with it, its what they have to tell you, legally I guess :-)

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Was it necessary for him to choke the bloke though? It sounds like he caught up to him because he was obese, and then retrieved the bag, so why go on to choke him knowing full well that it will kill him?

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Was it necessary for him to choke the bloke though? It sounds like he caught up to him because he was obese, and then retrieved the bag, so why go on to choke him knowing full well that it will kill him?
Maybe the only way he could handle him until the cops showed up, dunno?
May have been the old headlock?
Fair question though.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stuffed to the gills on ice, says it all about this bloke. In the news column it states that its a shame the victims kids will grow up without a father..... couldn't think of anything further from the truth.