News Dogs to bare teeth with $8.5 million war chest

bantam rooster

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
this is a reserve grade team at best . management need to do something . I for one curse the day hassler come to this club . if something doesn't change we will be struggling to get anyone to go to games or even watch it on tv I turned off at half time

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We aren’t getting any better. Same dumb errors and bad reads in defence. Poor last tackle options. Week after week we end up chasing points and have nothing in opposition 20.
We have been predictable for 5 years! We were told we would be playing ‘eyes up football’ yet it’s the same thing 4th tackle centre field hit ups and kicking in ‘hope’

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Id rather then just give me the 8.5mill to be brutally honest
That’ll make me heaps happy

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fair to say that the natives are now getting restless.
All.coming out of the wood works.
Give it another month.
Id rather then just give me the 8.5mill to be brutally honest
That’ll make me heaps happy

Banned
Reaction score
Lets go totally left field and go to the USA and sign one of their NFL monsters as a bench player.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The majority of players on the market will be locked up before the start of next season. The longer we wait the less players available.
Signings aren’t going to be announced now. Even if we sign someone for 2021, it’ll be announced after next season.

I can guarantee you that the club is currently talking to players.

Any board, competent or incompetent, is always talking to players and their managers. But I don’t expect to hear about the results until late next season.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Signings aren’t going to be announced now. Even if we sign someone for 2021, it’ll be announced after next season.

I can guarantee you that the club is currently talking to players.

Any board, competent or incompetent, is always talking to players and their managers. But I don’t expect to hear about the results until late next season.
A lot gets out in the media now. They even run with stories with almost nothing in it. I find it difficult to see the club keeping signings undercover for that long. I don't think it's a bad idea to disrupt other clubs (knowing that they're playing with someone that's leaving - similar to Rabbitohs and Crichton) and to see how the player we're getting plays under that pressure and different environment. I'll personally be very worried if nothing was announced before the season started. It does suck having to approach a player one year in advanced (sometimes they're released early) but it's there to give players job security and the clubs to be able to recruit a suitable replacement or just a more thought out plan moving forward.

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Even if we lock in some players for 2021 it could harm our chances of extending the contracts of talent we already have in reserves if they see their paths to the NRL get harder because established talent signs.

And like Mr Ditkovitch says there's still a year before the 21 pre season begins. It's not time to panic yet.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Technically guys like Latrell have a year left on their current contract, yet he looks like being signed for next season onward. With the cap opening up from 2021 on, there might be some players who are contracted for 2021 who would get released if we went after them at the end of next season, similar to how the chooks look willing to let go of Mitchell early.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Training before Christmas is usually fitness based testing with team training and combos starting after holidays in January. If we haven’t announced anymore new signing before Christmas that might be it until June 30

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Technically guys like Latrell have a year left on their current contract, yet he looks like being signed for next season onward. With the cap opening up from 2021 on, there might be some players who are contracted for 2021 who would get released if we went after them at the end of next season, similar to how the chooks look willing to let go of Mitchell early.
"The cap opening up" how is that?
NRL salary cap is $9.8m for 2020, $9.9m for 2021 & $10m for 2022.

That is less than inflation & inflation is low.

Also the NRL face the very real prospect that their next free to air rights deal will be much less.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
"Also the NRL face the very real prospect that their next free to air rights deal will be much less.
I think you’ve hit the nail on the head with agents, players and clubs all waiting to see what happens to funding & the cap after 2022