News Kieran Foran defiant as Bulldogs demand answers from NRL

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Foz thinks he can put 3-4 good games together then get a new contract,with his injury history hell be lucky to get any offers once he realises this he will think about retiring
.... except he will have screwed us over this year by not retiring earlier when the NRL was greenlighting cap relief.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys think hes gonna give up something that hes worked so hard for all his life just like that, stop letting your emotion get in the fucking way honestly, yes its a shit situation, but this is his livelihood , his job, career, if he thinks he can keep going, no one else can question it, but obviously it wont be here
Inglis, Burgess, Gillette and others didn't have a problem with this.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Inglis, Burgess, Gillette and others didn't have a problem with this.
Yes and everyone has a different mentality. Foran hasn't been able to have the career he's wanted due to injury. The others you've mentioned have still been able to play and been in somewhat successful teams. Foran's career has been downhill since Manly where it couldn't of started any better. He's still obviously talented and one of the best Five-Eighths on the field when actually on the field...

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes and everyone has a different mentality. Foran hasn't been able to have the career he's wanted due to injury. The others you've mentioned have still been able to play and been in somewhat successful teams. Foran's career has been downhill since Manly where it couldn't of started any better. He's still obviously talented and one of the best Five-Eighths on the field when actually on the field...
Don't disagree with what you say but surely that's demonstrating the heart ruling the head. Wish the decision was forced upon him to the benefit of all parties.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wayne Bennett’s novel solution to salary cap mess
South Sydney and Britain coach Wayne Bennett has a simple salary cap solution that “wouldn’t cost the game a bloody cent.”
Wayne Bennett has weighed into Canterbury’s salary cap fight with the NRL over Kieran Foran’s injury controversy, declaring the NRL should give the Bulldogs “total” relief for losing their $1 million marquee man while away on Test duties.

“It doesn’t cost the game a bloody cent,” Bennett said.

In a wide-ranging interview in the wake of Great Britain’s historic loss to Papua New Guinea, Bennett also put aside his personal disappointment and praised rugby league’s Pacific Nations for making the international game “as good as I’ve seen it”.

“WE UNDER-ACHIEVED”

Bennett didn’t shy away from the enormity of his own predicament with the 69-year-old all but conceding he had coached the Poms for the final time.

Bennett’s contract with England was up at the end of this series and after losing all four games there appears little chance he will keep his position following the shock 28-10 loss in Port Moresby.

“Of course I am disappointed,” he said.

“I feel we have underachieved. That is what I feel.

“But at the same time I know we are not too far off the pace.”

Bennett said he didn’t want to elaborate on what went wrong but was adamant morale and players’ attitude was not to blame.

He said he was prepared to wear whatever decisions are made.

“We haven’t had the tour we wanted and there are obviously some reasons for that,” he said.

“But our record over the last three years has been pretty good.”

PRAISE THE PACIFIC

Bennett was adamant Papua New Guinea deserved their victory — and what happened in Port Moresby on the weekend would live with him forever.

“You just had to be there to appreciate how memorable it was,” Bennett said.

“The atmosphere, the moment the national anthems were played, it was just magnificent.

“I was standing there thinking to myself, if I am a kid at home in Australia or in Papua New Guinea and I am watching this, this is what I want to do one day. I want to be playing for my country. I want to be in this moment.”

Asked if he had seen the international game in a stronger position, Bennett added: “It is as good as I’ve seen it.

“The game now has to continue what it has started and everyone has to get on board.

“The players are on board.

“There is real competition between five or six nations.

“In the past it was always Australia, New Zealand and England.

“Now we are talking at least six nations and we have been able to do something rugby hasn’t been able to do and that is develop the Pacific Islands.

“We all recognise the huge talent that is there but these guys want to play for their countries of origin now and that has made such a difference.

“So the game is in a good place and the International Board deserves a rap.”

FAIRNESS FOR FORAN

The rugby league calendar is not getting any shorter and after an extended Test series this year, next year Australia travel to England for an extended Kangaroo tour.

In the background clubs are already understandably nervous, especially looking at Canterbury’s current predicament.

Bennett agreed Foran’s injury again highlighted the unfair risk on clubs when it comes to releasing players for rep duty.

This has been a bone of contention for years and recent changes are little more than window dressing.

As it stands Canterbury can only receive up to $350,000 of salary cap relief if Foran is sidelined for more than 12 games.

Given Foran is on a reported $1.2 million contract that is small change.

“As a club coach now taking in the fairness of it all, the clubs pay the greatest price and there only needs to be a subtle change here,” Bennett said.

“If a player is out longer than a month they should get full salary cap relief to replace that player.

“Anything over four weeks is a pretty serious injury these days.

“If they do a bit of a hammy or twist a knee, you get them back in four weeks.

“But anything over that they should get total relief.

“You would average it out. If a player is worth $1 million and he is gone for half a season you should get half a million in your cap.

“The international game is certainly on the improve.

“But how the clubs are compensated has to also be taken into account.

“We all see the injuries. No one is making it up.

“So why wouldn’t the game take this into account, and help the club who has given up their player to help grow the game?

“It doesn’t cost the game a bloody cent.

“Then there is no angst from the club when the player is going away and it is reciprocal.

“It is an easy fix.”

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is from Danny Dipshit

Dog of a decision
The Bulldogs have run their eye over the prospects that have been thrown up as potential replacements for Kieran Foran.

Aidan Sezer, Josh Reynolds (both Bulldogs juniors) and others have been linked with the club.
Word is none of the players have the exact qualities the club is looking for, but with Foran almost certainly out for the year, they may need to compromise their vision.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If not the shoulder, then will be hammys, back, quads or big toe.

Bulldogs luck with this guy so bad, we can't even get a new injury outa him.
He has broken every bone in his body so there's no chance of a "new" injury lol

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
He has broken every bone in his body so there's no chance of a "new" injury lol
Whats the point of being defiant at the expense of the club?
The Foran gamble nearly worked but he is clearly injury cursed and it would be unfair to run another 5/8 most of the year then have Foran slot back in late.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Can we just sack him to get him off the cap? I know he probably gets a settlement or pay out and ok with that. No chance in hell we re-sign him, surely not, so why bother keeping him on the books? We have to pay him a million either way, why not sack him?

Banned
Reaction score
Can we just sack him to get him off the cap? I know he probably gets a settlement or pay out and ok with that. No chance in hell we re-sign him, surely not, so why bother keeping him on the books? We have to pay him a million either way, why not sack him?
You would think that FairWork would be hard pressed to argue against a performance based sacking, particularly if it was around medical liability prevention.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
“I’m not about to roll over and put an end to it … I feel like my best years are still to come,”

Foran might try really hard out on the field but the guy appears to be fucken delusional if he thinks his best years are still to come.

His best years are WELL behind him, many years ago.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Kieran Foran’s surgeon will rebuild broken playmaker with another operation

The shoulder surgeon who saved the career of Melbourne Storm superstar Billy Slater says he can do the same for luckless Canterbury Bulldogs star Kieran Foran.

Dr John Trantalis operated on Foran last week and later declared the million-dollar playmaker will return at 100 per cent fitness if he undergoes a second round of surgery.

Foran, however, is facing a huge decision about the next step of his recovery.

“Not only did he dislocate the shoulder, but he tore off his rotator cuff as well,” Dr Trantalis told The Sunday Telegraph.

“He’s had one problem fixed to stop it popping out again but he’s tossing up whether to get the rotator cuff fixed as well.

“That recovery is a lot longer and took Billy Slater 12 months.

“So he’s got to decide whether to battle on the way it is and get back to football next year and cope with the pain and do his best. That way’s a lot faster.

“He’s off contract next year and it’s a big issue because he wants to play as soon as possible.”

The 29-year-old five-eighth or halfback will decide over the weekend with Canterbury’s medical staff. He’s desperate to play next year to show the Bulldogs and rival clubs that he deserves another contract.

“There’s no question he can come back,” Dr Trantalis said, “He’s had ongoing issues with the shoulder but he’s got the potential to make a full recovery.

“He’s just got to decide which way to go. I found him very motivated to continue playing and there’s no reason he can’t and have a good positive end to his career.

“The difficulty is his contract situation.”

Foran remains in an upbeat mood despite yet another injury setback.

By the end of next year he will have missed 70 games in five seasons.

“This isn’t about the money,” Foran said. “It’s about playing a game I love for another few years and to achieve what I set out to do when I first started in rugby league.”

Dr Trantalis saved Slater’s career when most thought the champion Storm fullback had no hope of playing again.

“I hadn’t seen a worse case in a footballer,” Dr Trantalis said

“It’s usually a major trauma to rip off the tendon like Billy did. Like a really bad car accident.

“I was optimistic I could get his shoulder better but I was concerned it may be career-ending.

“He was in a bad way and couldn’t even hold his arm up.”

He credits Slater for showing an extraordinary commitment to his rehabilitation.

“He is the best rehab patient I’ve ever had,” Dr Trantalis said.

“The commitment he showed. Wow. The motivation. Fantastic.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/fcacf7a4c125c8b0bea2004010a28809
I can confirm Dr John Trantallis is brilliant. He fixed up my husband's shoulder from a surfing accident in 2010 (he likes to call it a surfing accident even though it was a Barbie boogie board he was using.. got caught in a rip and dumped into a sandbank at Cronulla) . Huge damage to his rotator cuff etc ...only downside was it took 12-24 months to fully recover

Cartel

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I can confirm Dr John Trantallis is brilliant. He fixed up my husband's shoulder from a surfing accident in 2010 (he likes to call it a surfing accident even though it was a Barbie boogie board he was using.. got caught in a rip and dumped into a sandbank at Cronulla) . Huge damage to his rotator cuff etc ...only downside was it took 12-24 months to fully recover
Thats a long dry spell, for the both of you!

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
there will be no replacement..... ive defended this board & coach from the time they got in but fuck lets face it they've got $8 million to spend and cant sign a single fucking player and are still chasing bargain bin buys