News Dallin Watene-Zelezniak nearly quit the NRL before his mid-season switch to Canterbury

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He has always been a cracking player, I remember when we versed Penrith in the semi's in 2014 (?) and after DWZ scored against us in commentary Gould said the following "Dallin is one of the most naturally gifted players I have seen for a long time", and Gould has seen a lot of players so thats a massive statement. Really hoping he can develop some playmaking skills.
Glad we landed him

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
In the short time he has been with us I already can say he is one of my favourite players running round in our team. Hopefully he keeps improving and has a big year for us next season.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hoping that his injury clears right up, he was looking really shy the last game he played, easily his worst in blue and white.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hoping that his injury clears right up, he was looking really shy the last game he played, easily his worst in blue and white.
I think you will find that he was busted from the game before and shouldn't have played. His shoulder was rooted hence why he wasn't really getting involved.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Just luv DWZ, Has so much passion for our club his good for the other boys.
His signing has been the clubs best of late. Better resign him. His just a pleasure to watch . Hope his good to go for kiwis

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I know for a fact that he wants to stay with us until retirement and would love to stay in fullback. He loves the club but more loves us fans. He reckons we love him and respect him more in the weeks he has been with us than all his time at penriff.

His brother works with my brother.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
DWZ not in the Kiwi team, they have selected CNK though. Can't find anything about why he wasn't selected.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Didn’t read the write up, but the title told me all I needed to know... Has been a real positive for us indeed, so have all the kiwi connections.. just need JWH on board to complete the 3 name hyphens then we will really have beast mode..!!!

Well done DWZ :grinning: definitely can captain my kiwi boys.!!
I would much prefer RTS

fooch

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What idiot would give the game away in his prime costing himself millions over his career ., total bullshit

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
My favourite player now and the more i read about lattrell wanting to play fb maybe this is why the club didn’t pursue lattrell which if true good on them for backing dwz id certainly go to the trenches with him and he totally deserves our fb spot

Last edited:

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know for a fact that he wants to stay with us until retirement and would love to stay in fullback. He loves the club but more loves us fans. He reckons we love him and respect him more in the weeks he has been with us than all his time at penriff.

His brother works with my brother.
His enthusiasm has rubbed off on the playing group. Hes a unique individual who has found a home with us.

A friend of mine bumped into him in the city one weekend shortly after joining us this year. My mate told me Dallin couldnt have been more interested in talking footy and the Bulldogs in particular to him. With our awful start to the season behind us and with no hope at that stage of making the finals my mate asked Dallin how he was fitting in at the Club and if he was looking forward to next season. He said Dallin was taken aback. "Weve got this season to worry about first" was his reply. To Dallin each upcoming match was a challenge and a contest to be won. As fans we wonder how hard it is for our players to get up once we are already ruled out of finals contention, but in DWZ the Club has found a truly professional athlete. A NZRL captain no less.

I look back now at how the Club handled the Mitchell matter and wonder...did we not press hard for Mitchell at least in part because in DWZ weve already unearthed a Clubman of immense character, spirit and competitiveness who just happens to be our fullback. If anyone asks.... the dogs have got a first rate fullback thanks very much...his name is Dallin Watene Zalezniak.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His enthusiasm has rubbed off on the playing group. Hes a unique individual who has found a home with us.

A friend of mine bumped into him in the city one weekend shortly after joining us this year. My mate told me Dallin couldnt have been more interested in talking footy and the Bulldogs in particular to him. With our awful start to the season behind us and with no hope at that stage of making the finals my mate asked Dallin how he was fitting in at the Club and if he was looking forward to next season. He said Dallin was taken aback. "Weve got this season to worry about first" was his reply. To Dallin each upcoming match was a challenge and a contest to be won. As fans we wonder how hard it is for our players to get up once we are already ruled out of finals contention, but in DWZ the Club has found a truly professional athlete. A NZRL captain no less.

I look back now at how the Club handled the Mitchell matter and wonder...did we not press hard for Mitchell at least in part because in DWZ weve already unearthed a Clubman of immense character, spirit and competitiveness who just happens to be our fullback. If anyone asks.... the dogs have got a first rate fullback thanks very much...his name is Dallin Watene Zalezniak.
Yep, can’t argue with that. Can see him being Captain in a couple of years. He may not distribute as often as some would like, but IMO best fullback we’ve had for a long time, almost the FIRST fullback we’ve had in a long time.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yep, can’t argue with that. Can see him being Captain in a couple of years. He may not distribute as often as some would like, but IMO best fullback we’ve had for a long time, almost the FIRST fullback we’ve had in a long time.
He is a quality player, no doubt, but from everything we are hearing he is also a quality person. Can anyone doubt that his arrival halfway through the season effected the squad off the field as much as on the field?

He has that much influence off the field and in defense that so far as his deficiencies in attack as a fullback are concerned, it is worth it for coaching staff to figure out structures and plays for the whole team that specifically utilise DWZ's strengths. It is that important to have him a) on the team, b) wearing #1.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Except he isn't a first rate fullback yet, Jesus.