Curtis scott

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Our previous chairman did spend a fair bit of time with Nick politis.

Maybe just maybe he was learning the art of how to best utilise the salary cap as there are many concessions.

At the end of the day having a strong team and playing in grand finals is mainly what we aspire to as supporters.

Parramatta Turned their salary cap around very quickly and continue to buy quality players,,,, how do they do it with ease yet we appear to struggle?
Maybe our board are being too cautious and by the book. Parramatta are stupid and I’d put money on them getting done again for a big salary cap rort. In saying that as we know from 2002 & Melbourne Storm too it’s easier to turn a club around after a salary cap breach than paying for players to be at other clubs and shopping around most of your good players around

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Respect your opinion.

One could argue that the previous board could attract marquees and major sponsors.
We also could have had teddy and mitchell Moses if it wasn't for hasler.
You will find lomax is nearly a done deal at Newcastle.
Lomax goes there he goes there.

Without doubt we're going to struggle getting players in but hopefully the recruitment team is being specific about players rather than having a scattergun approach. Our past search for a hooker doesn't fill me with much confidence tho ....

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Some of the people on here seem to be trying to emulate Hasler, by spending money we dont have.
We are still paying out some players, we are letting some go.
The club has always stated that they wont have big money to spend until 2021.
The club will recruit whenever possible with the money we have in the bank,
and that doesnt include a million a year player.
You are forgetting something
All clubs start doing their major recruitments for 2021 NOW
If we don't do the same...We will miss out !!!

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The board also said we wouldn't be actively recruiting until 2021-22. The 2020 season hasn't even started yet and some fans are in meltdown mode. Give it time, if by the time they stated we haven't recruited anyone noteworthy then it's understandable to get upset and voice concerns, until then patience is a virtue
Do you really believe the elite players will be patient and wait till the end of 2020 to sort out their future ???

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The only problem is we could be signing players now for 2021 when we have money to spend but we are not seemingly because the club is divided on who they want or no big name game winners want to come anywhere near the Dogs at the moment. I fear by the time the club gets it act together including signing a coach for 2021 we will be left with the dregs.
I agree
People in charge of recruitment for the 2021 season if they fail...
They should be sacked !!!

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I agree
People in charge of recruitment for the 2021 season if they fail...
They should be sacked !!!
Agree that questions should be asked. Without doubt.

Need to consider the situation they're in and what they have at the present time to attract players.

For me it's about getting the right mix of players. Desperately need a centre and now a half. Expect us to bolster in both of those positions and not splash out on luxury signings in other positions such as second row ...

Last edited:

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lomax is garbage but im super disappointed wa havent gone for scott can only hope harper/averillo come good

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Lomax is garbage but im super disappointed wa havent gone for scott can only hope harper/averillo come good
Again ... who says we haven't gone for Scott? It was reported at one point, no?

I just think that we're not the top destination for players so they're more than happy to wait out and see what options come up. More often than not, especially so far, a more attractive destination than Belmore comes up and in Scott's place no one can begrudge him for looking at the Raiders.

Truly believe that we'll sign a centre. Just need to be patient for a few more weeks yet I think before we see big movement.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Again ... who says we haven't gone for Scott? It was reported at one point, no?

I just think that we're not the top destination for players so they're more than happy to wait out and see what options come up. More often than not, especially so far, a more attractive destination than Belmore comes up and in Scott's place no one can begrudge him for looking at the Raiders.

Truly believe that we'll sign a centre. Just need to be patient for a few more weeks yet I think before we see big movement.
Knights signed lots of players when they came last it feels like we are super slow out of the blocks ,my issue with say scott is if wed acted months ago when the rumours about him being shopped around the raiders wouldn’t be in the picture but now they are,also alot of these young guys go for an opportunity to play regular first grade which we can offer at centre,it just feels to me like our recruitment is half asleep

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Knights signed lots of players when they came last it feels like we are super slow out of the blocks ,my issue with say scott is if wed acted months ago when the rumours about him being shopped around the raiders wouldn’t be in the picture but now they are,also alot of these young guys go for an opportunity to play regular first grade which we can offer at centre,it just feels to me like our recruitment is half asleep
Am I right in saying that the Knights finished equal in points to us last year? Despite all of those big signings they made? And that the playing roster's morale was utterly shattered at the backend of the year?

Maybe, just maybe, the club doesn't want to jump in and make signings unless players are fully commited to the vision and values of the Dogs. Maybe, just maybe, the club is trying to learn from the mistakes it made and other clubs like the Knights have made in just signing big named players on big contracts without ensuring they're there for the right reasons.

We're hearing about Scott to the Raiders now ... and it's exactly what I'm saying. Why would Scott commit to us without properly testing the water elsewhere? And with him doing that it shows he's not committed to joining the Dogs and isn't the right player for us. No?

Square pegs into round holes. We need to make sure the players we sign fit into the club culture etc.

I 100% get the frustration. I also want signings to see the club progressing. At the same time though I want to see us learning from our mistakes, and it seems we are ...

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Am I right in saying that the Knights finished equal in points to us last year? Despite all of those big signings they made? And that the playing roster's morale was utterly shattered at the backend of the year?

Maybe, just maybe, the club doesn't want to jump in and make signings unless players are fully commited to the vision and values of the Dogs. Maybe, just maybe, the club is trying to learn from the mistakes it made and other clubs like the Knights have made in just signing big named players on big contracts without ensuring they're there for the right reasons.

We're hearing about Scott to the Raiders now ... and it's exactly what I'm saying. Why would Scott commit to us without properly testing the water elsewhere? And with him doing that it shows he's not committed to joining the Dogs and isn't the right player for us. No?

Square pegs into round holes. We need to make sure the players we sign fit into the club culture etc.

I 100% get the frustration. I also want signings to see the club progressing. At the same time though I want to see us learning from our mistakes, and it seems we are ...
Well its either that or they are pretty incompetent time will tell i suppose

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Well its either that or they are pretty incompetent time will tell i suppose
If they've really fucked this up so much then 100% I'll jump on them. For me the bigger concern is whether Pay is the right man to be leading the Dogs into a new era as if I was 100% on him then I'd completely trust any decision the club made recruitment wise.

Time will tell and I do hope that things are much clearer by the end of November.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If they've really fucked this up so much then 100% I'll jump on them. For me the bigger concern is whether Pay is the right man to be leading the Dogs into a new era as if I was 100% on him then I'd completely trust any decision the club made recruitment wise.

Time will tell and I do hope that things are much clearer by the end of November.
Some of pays poor selections at the start of the season were that of a rookie coach learning on the run I believe and i hope he has learnt but i must say he surprised me those last 2 months at how he had the boys playing for each other,I hadn’t seen us so tight for a long time hopefully its a sign of things to come.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, I guess that shows how much a shit coach can hamper a team.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate you simply cannot throw pay under the bus now.

The current board had a massive opportunity to get Holbrook and they passed, that ship has sailed.

It's all about the board now ...

No marquee signings, no major sponsors, no new jerseys ready for supporters to start buying for Xmas...

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Mate you simply cannot throw pay under the bus now.

The current board had a massive opportunity to get Holbrook and they passed, that ship has sailed.

It's all about the board now ...

No marquee signings, no major sponsors, no new jerseys ready for supporters to start buying for Xmas...
I'm not throwing Pay under the bus at all. I actually think he ended up doing a pretty decent job towards the back end of the season and seemed to get the ship sailing in the right direction.

However, we can't hide from the fact he's still an unknown quantity and new recruits will naturally be questioning whether he's good or not, whether he'll last the season or not. And if you don't think him being our coach has an impact on us recruiting new players then fair enough. However, from my side I'd expect him to be playing a large role in getting players to us and putting everything on the board is a bit much imo.

Without doubt they've got a job to do, just as Pay, and they're going about it the best they can by all reports. But just with Pay, they inherited shit and are serverly limited with what they can do. IF you're going to say "you simply can't throw Pay under the bus now" then you need to afford the board the same understanding as they've been here for less time than him and inherited A LOT more shit than Pay did ...

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should read an article back when they got elected..

Paul Dunn thanked the previous board for hiring dean pay and that they had already done 30% of the work for them.......
I'm not throwing Pay under the bus at all. I actually think he ended up doing a pretty decent job towards the back end of the season and seemed to get the ship sailing in the right direction.

However, we can't hide from the fact he's still an unknown quantity and new recruits will naturally be questioning whether he's good or not, whether he'll last the season or not. And if you don't think him being our coach has an impact on us recruiting new players then fair enough. However, from my side I'd expect him to be playing a large role in getting players to us and putting everything on the board is a bit much imo.

Without doubt they've got a job to do, just as Pay, and they're going about it the best they can by all reports. But just with Pay, they inherited shit and are serverly limited with what they can do. IF you're going to say "you simply can't throw Pay under the bus now" then you need to afford the board the same understanding as they've been here for less time than him and inherited A LOT more shit than Pay did ...

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You should read an article back when they got elected..

Paul Dunn thanked the previous board for hiring dean pay and that they had already done 30% of the work for them.......
And? Of course they're going to say such things. The board was clear from day one they didn't want any drama and it just wanted to move on from any mess from the past. Sniping at the past board was never something that they were doing to do. Thought that was pretty clear. Doesn't mean the past board were great though, does it?

Just getting tired of the board bashing if I'm honest as I honestly don't know what people want. On the one side we should be paying overs for players like Mitchell and giving into his demands immediately so we can sign him up before any other club shows interest (not that this scenario is very realistic anyway). But then the same people bitch about the signing of Foran and the stupid money we paid him, along with other flops at the club. What do you guys want?

This is neither Pay's fault. Not the boards. We're just in the shit atm and we're in it together. Hopefully Pay has a cracker year, just as the rest of the squad as then potential players will have more belief in our project. I also hope that the board signs up some decent players in positions we need as no doubt it's hard balancing it all. Both sides have made mistakes, and will make many more. Both sides have a lot to prove, and I look forward to seeing them hopefully do that. Until then there's not much I can do other than support them.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Some people are very quick to shit can the coach and the board.
How do you know that certain players have been approached or not. Just assuming?
Any player who has been approached, or has been signed for 2021 is not going to
broadcast his intentions until he has finished his commitments with his currant team.
Just relax.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Everyone has their own opinions which will just go round in circles and no one really knows whove we’ve approached or not but all the hot air aside actions do the talking and so far they have been poor ,their still is time for the board but their actions have not shown much its all about building better results and a culture to sustain long term success so time will tell