Movie Discussion

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
unnamed (1).jpg

Patty and Drake are a middle class yuppie couple who buy a large house in San Francisco and plan to rent it out. They unfortunately select a swindler, Hayes, as the tenant who changes their lives upside-down

As a big Michael Keaton fan it was refreshing seeing him relish the role of a villian and what he could bring to the character, and he doesn't disappoint here. Good script, solid direction, nice cinematography and a great performance from keaton lift this one to a standout 90's thriller. Griffith did an adequate job but Matthew modine overracts something shocking - great movie nonetheless.
4/5

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
unnamed.jpg

Manhattan punkers on their way to Los Angeles become vigilantes when their friend is murdered by a gang of cutthroats.

My biggest problem with this movie is it has no idea what it wants to be, the attempts at comedy mostly miss the mark, it doesn't really have much action and I couldn't rally or care about the characters. The script was average, the acting for the most part was solid (except for the so called "love interest" who was as wooden as door frame)

I've heard people praise this as a classic comedy, I assume it just has sentimental value when they were young, overall I thought with a more polished script, and better direction the finished product could have been alot better.

2/5

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Anacondas: The Hunt for the Blood Orchid (2004)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0366174/?ref_=nv_sr_4?ref_=nv_sr_4

A scientific expedition sets out for Borneo to seek a flower called the Blood Orchid, which could grant longer life. Meanwhile, they run afoul of snakes and each other.

As someone who hates snakes, I wasn't going to be a big fan of this movie. It was ok, but extra cheesy as well. One thing I hated... the Aussie appeared be some stereotypical drunk drongo. Apart from that... extra cheesy (and not in a good way).

4/10.

Wahesh

Reaction score
The Frozen Ground

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2005374/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

An Alaska State Trooper partners with a young woman who escaped the clutches of serial killer Robert Hansen to bring the murderer to justice. Based on actual events.

Vanessa Hudgens is a complete mess in this movie, and you just wonder why on Earth she's play the role of a teenage hooker. Anyway, it's based on a true story, and as you'd expect, at the end they show you real life photos of those involved in this. I generally enjoy movies based on actual events to give you an insight into what actually happened.

7/10.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Enough

After running away fails, a terrified woman empowers herself in order to battle her abusive husband.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0278435/?ref_=nv_sr_2?ref_=nv_sr_2

It felt like groundhog day while watching this movie. Running from town to town and continuously being followed. They could've cut straight to what happens at the end to stop wasting everyone's time. It's like a poor mans 'Sleeping With the Enemy".

4/10.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Fast Five

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1596343/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

Dominic Toretto and his crew of street racers plan a massive heist to buy their freedom while in the sights of a powerful Brazilian drug lord and a dangerous federal agent.

No point into giving a summary as most people here have wither seen this or not what it's about. I don't care what you think, Fast & Furious is my favorite movie franchise, and this movie is my 2nd favorite (after 7).

9/10.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Paradise Beach

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7511008/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

A team of former robbers arrived at Paradise: Phuket, southern Thailand. Now traders, they are happy days. Until the day when the devil arrives: Mehdi, sentenced to 15 years in prison during the robbery, comes to recover his share of the cake.

There were a couple of firsts in the movie.
  1. 1st movie I had ever seen that had no-name actors in lead roles
  2. 1st movie I had ever seen where all the lead actors in up dead
The action was good but the story and ending was piss poor. I didn't see the ending coming - I'll give it that.

Wahesh

Reaction score
The Debt Collector

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7448180/?ref_=nv_sr_2?ref_=nv_sr_2

A classically-trained martial artist goes to work as a mob debt collector. The job seems easy enough, until a client drags him into a situation deeper than could ever be anticipated.

I'm a fan of Scott Adkins and his martial arts ability. This movie was good as it had an element of comedy mixed into it. The ending kind of catches you by surprise, but overall an enjoyable film with some room for improvement.

7/10.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Triple Threat

When a billionaire's daughter intent on bringing down a major crime syndicate is targeted by a group of professional assassins, a team of mercenaries must stop them before they kill her.

Well I originally watched this movie simply to see Tony Jaa, Michael Jai White, and Scott Adkins (all great Martial Artist's) in one movie together. I was pleasantly surprised at the start to also realise it has Iko Uwais in it (the Assassin from Wu Assassins) - so I knew this movie would be one I like. Despite the actors being split down the middle in terms of protagonist/antagonist it is a really great movie. It has unarmed combat sequences, guns, explosions, and so much more... including (my Achilles heel) many beautiful Asian women :hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

8/10.

Last edited:

Wahesh

Reaction score
Step Brothers

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0838283/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

Two aimless middle-aged losers still living at home are forced against their will to become roommates when their parents marry.

You talk about a shit movie... that's exactly what this is. The humor is very crude, and the stuff that is actually good and funny is quite sporadic. I'll give it a 5 because the ending was fair, but was heading in 3 direction if it weren't for that.

5/10.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
unnamed.jpg

Marty DiBergi, a film-maker and a diehard fan of Spinal Tap, a British heavy metal band, makes a documentary of their American comeback tour that includes interviews with each band member.

I saw this years back and watched this again last night and nearly died from laughing so hard. What can I say about spinal tap that hasn't already been said countless times before?
The poster says it all really. A scarily accurate depiction of a glam metal band on the decline done so well that several prominent people in the industry thought spinal tap were an actual band and this was a real documentary. The funniest rock and roll mockumentary (and one of the funniest comedies in general) I've ever seen hands down, the cast and creators deserve all the praise in the world. If anyone hasn't seen this yet, make this the next movie on your watch list, you won't be disappointed.

5/5

Last edited:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Enough

After running away fails, a terrified woman empowers herself in order to battle her abusive husband.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0278435/?ref_=nv_sr_2?ref_=nv_sr_2

It felt like groundhog day while watching this movie. Running from town to town and continuously being followed. They could've cut straight to what happens at the end to stop wasting everyone's time. It's like a poor mans 'Sleeping With the Enemy".

4/10.
Was a good thriller , enjoyed this one !

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
93C61AF3-07E0-472D-B674-3F784F3235F5.jpeg
And you still can’t beat this, 1 and 2 , good Australian film based an true story. And John Jarratt played the part perfectly.!!

Wahesh

Reaction score
Was a good thriller , enjoyed this one !
I actually remember it got some bad reviews when it first came out. Halle Berry was meant to star in it but had to pull out due to a schedule clash - that’s probably why it was rated low.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I actually remember it got some bad reviews when it first came out. Halle Berry was meant to star in it but had to pull out due to a schedule clash - that’s probably why it was rated low.
Glad she didn’t star in it. Was great the way it was, more real an believable how it was all done.

Oh an I’m now an immortal YUSS :grinning:

Wahesh

Reaction score
Glad she didn’t star in it. Was great the way it was, more real an believable how it was all done.

Oh an I’m now an immortal YUSS :grinning:
You got 5000 posts brother - welcome to the club :D

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anyone likes a good drama/comedy you have to watch 'The Fundamentals of caring' watched it the other day and guaranteed you'll get a laugh with some drama thrown in, Paul Rudd is the main actor but the other actors some I don't know make this a great movie.