Letter to Andrew Hill - just sent

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They'll be gone regardless if the results aren't there. I don't think the results will be there if they don't sign four to five top or emerging players. If we continue the recruitment method from the previous seasons they'll not get enough time to implement it properly. I think the fans have already had enough time suffering and we need something to look forward to (signings). For me that's 2021 and I've already accepted what next season will be.
Yes it's annoying thinking that we have to wait for 2021 but if the club can't sign anyone to significantly improve our roster for 2021 any time soon then annoying turns into f..king angry for me personally

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate, if they dont reply to you, it probably goes against what they were supposed to do and that was instil some certain qualities back to the club when they were running for election back in 2018.

Lynn did say and I quote " dad always said, " the fans aren't fools, don't treat them like they are" ...

Hopefully they aren't treating you like a fool, because you have a voice too .
Thank you. I just hope they are doing the best they can do to improve the team and not making the wrong decisions or pissing off a lot of player managers (as I've heard)

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love your passion mate.
But use it positively.

Living interstate might make this hard, but come to a members forum next time it’s on.
Voice your opinion from the floor in front of everyone, letters are too easy to discard.
I’m not saying in person will make the difference either, but at least all key stakeholders at the club will have heard you - Chair, CEO, Coach, Captain, other players, Members and Supporters.

Maybe our directors are deliberately starving those weasel player managers. Would be good if all clubs made it clear who’s in charge.

Keep the faith mate - it’s early days for 2021 and beyond. 2020 only gets us out of the woods (pardon a partial pun).
Thanks mate :o) Yes I think I definitely need to go to the next fan forum. Do we have any idea when it's on yet ?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
This issue is what I'm extremely concerned about.

"Maybe our directors are deliberately starving those weasel player managers. Would be good if all clubs made it clear who’s in charge."

If that is the case, that is a no win situation for the club.

Player Managers have all the talent locked up and if they aren't part of our talent search we are behind the 8 ball and won't have access to any new players. How will we have youngsters offered to us if we think we can lock out their managers.

The managers will tell the players and their families we are unprofessional and they can see for themselves we are on struggle street atm.

That is a very fractured recruitment plan, if it's the way they are trying to recruit and effectively locks us out of the market...a comparable situation is if an RSL Manager won''t deal with the biggest entertainment booking agents-result ...no performers booked for their clubs' entertainment venues.

We should be repairing any fractured relationships with every stakeholder in rugby league no matter who they are, in the best interests of the club.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

"Maybe our directors are deliberately starving those weasel player managers. Would be good if all clubs made it clear who’s in charge."

Player Managers have all the talent locked up and if they aren't part of our talent search we are behind the 8 ball and won't have access to any new players. How will we have youngsters offered to us if we think we can lock out their managers.

The managers will tell the players and their families we are unprofessional and they can see for themselves we are on struggle street atm.

That is a very fractured recruitment plan, if it's the way they are trying to recruit and effectively locks us out of the market...a comparable situation is if an RSL Manager won''t deal with the biggest entertainment booking agents-result ...no performers booked for their clubs' entertainment venues.

We should be repairing any fractured relationships with every stakeholder in rugby league no matter who they are, in the best interests of the club.
Player managers only care about one thing, especially these days. Most of them are glorified used car salesmen and it’s just about money

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Just my opinion, I don’t think we can afford to have a poor season next year. Everyone is under pressure that’s the reality of it all. Never liked the waiting for 2021 strategy. I’m sure the club is still trying secure players for next year.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks mate :o) Yes I think I definitely need to go to the next fan forum. Do we have any idea when it's on yet ?
Don’t think any for 2020 have been announced yet, but rest assured they will be. Assuming you get member emails you’ll be amongst the first to know!

I find them worthwhile - getting real updates from the club without media speculation and members/fans asking questions and saying their piece from the floor.

The one in 2018 with Beattie and Greenberg there was particularly spirited!!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Player managers only care about one thing, especially these days. Most of them are glorified used car salesmen and it’s just about money
We all know that but they control the players.

Everyone hates them but NRLol haven't lessened their control of the stock...so we need to work with them to get some.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
We all know that but they control the players.

Everyone hates them but NRLol haven't lessened their control of the stock...so we need to work with them to get some.
I’ve heard the rumours too but can someone show me evidence of a manager turning us down when we were offering the most amount of money?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

I wasn’t suggesting completely freezing managers out, but making it clear that the club will only deal on reasonable terms.

Obviously a manager wants maximum dollars for their clients because that’s how they usually get paid (%).

Maybe managers should be on fixed fees and it’s up to them how much they grow their stable.

But hopefully managers are not entirely focussed on the money and they are putting the well-being of their clients front and centre - a club where:

- Their client develops their game positively
- Physical and mental wellbeing catered for
- Family welcomed

We’ve usually done that stuff pretty well.

But the club comes first. If the inmates start running the asylum you’re in trouble.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don’t think any for 2020 have been announced yet, but rest assured they will be. Assuming you get member emails you’ll be amongst the first to know!

I find them worthwhile - getting real updates from the club without media speculation and members/fans asking questions and saying their piece from the floor.

The one in 2018 with Beattie and Greenberg there was particularly spirited!!
Thanks again. I hope there's one before the board elections. Might be too late though by then to encourage them to sign someone decent for 2021 as there mightn't be any decent players left. That's kind of why I want them to listen now actually.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Someone who seems to have a lot of inside knowledge said one manager (who is actually a Dogs fan) offered our club 3 of his players 2 years ago but the club knocked them all back and all 3 had very good seasons for their clubs this year. Another reckons Api signed for the Panthers for less money. There was also reports Arthur Coorey was talking to Mitchell at his home with no agent present so that could have pissed off some player managers especially those currently working for Mitchell.

I was just really concerned about the professionalism of our recruitment team following the reports Coorey was talking to Mitchell in his own private home, then that the directors couldn't agree on a price to offer Mitchell, then Andrew Hill came out to say publicly we wouldn't be making any official offer for Mitchell - which was also assisting the Roosters. We should be making the Roosters think we're interested in all their players always so they pay top f..ken dollar.

Player managers will obviously contact our club on occasion when they're having trouble getting a good deal for one of their clients but we might be low on priority down the list if there's been any kind of animosity in the past between our admin and that manager. Our admin need to keep on the best terms with all managers.

I know people say not to believe in media stories but stories are sometimes based on fact. We can't say every story is BS

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe so but its dumb tactics if the club is being staunch towards them a smart businessman would actually be building relationships with player managers and this could be why we miss alot of talent

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Maybe so but its dumb tactics if the club is being staunch towards them a smart businessman would actually be building relationships with player managers and this could be why we miss alot of talent
If that’s the case I agree. Some of them aren’t too bad but the NRL need to sort the mess out. They have way too much power

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If that’s the case I agree. Some of them aren’t too bad but the NRL need to sort the mess out. They have way too much power
Im not saying the managers are good people some of their behaviours are very grubby but it is what it is you have to be smart about it and groom these guys to want too push players towards your club youve only got to look at remis old man seems to have a good relationship with the club.

Kiwipup

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Im not saying the managers are good people some of their behaviours are very grubby but it is what it is you have to be smart about it and groom these guys to want too push players towards your club youve only got to look at remis old man seems to have a good relationship with the club.
Player managers are just like your used car salesman, real estate agents and solicitors. Grubs of the highest order