News Kieran Foran defiant as Bulldogs demand answers from NRL

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Foran suffered a dislocated left shoulder in the opening minutes of his Test return for New Zealand against Great Britain earlier this month.

It was initially thought the former Manly, Parramatta and New Zealand Warriors pivot would miss the opening few weeks of the season.

But the Bulldogs confirmed ‘new and additional damage’ was discovered during re-constructive surgery, adding the veteran’s estimated recovery time is ‘between nine and 12 months’.

That means a mid-August return is the best-case scenario for Foran, who is set to earn $1 million in the final year of his lucrative contract in 2020.

The news sparked widespread speculation the five-eighth, who has managed 26 games in two seasons at Belmore, will be forced into early retirement.

But Foran is adamant there are several chapters of his rugby league career still to be written.

“I’m not about to roll over and put an end to it … I feel like my best years are still to come,” Foran told Fairfax Media’s Adrian Proszenko.

Meanwhile, Bulldogs CEO Andrew Hill told News Limited Reporter Phil Rothfield he plans to take the matter up with the NRL.

Under current rules NRL clubs are allowed a maximum of $350,000 in salary cap relief if a player is injured on representative duties.

While coach Dean Pay on Wednesday expressed confidence in the next generation of playmakers ,the Bulldogs are set to enter the 2020 campaign at a major disadvantage if the NRL stands firm on the amount of salary-cap relief available to the club.

"We've got some great young kids here," Pay told Channel 9 News.

"Lachie Lewis, Jack Cogger and Brandon Wakeham are some definite young guys here that have stepped up last year, so again we're confident in our young guys."

Malpass

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If he stills wants to play on that's fair enough but he would want to say to the dogs , I'll sit out the year then pay me the minimum for 2021 like I'm talking $150k or less so he can make up for the previous years.

But I reckon he'll leave and go back to manly for jack shit laughing all the way to the bank , if he does that he loses all respect from me

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Kieran Foran’s surgeon will rebuild broken playmaker with another operation

The shoulder surgeon who saved the career of Melbourne Storm superstar Billy Slater says he can do the same for luckless Canterbury Bulldogs star Kieran Foran.

Dr John Trantalis operated on Foran last week and later declared the million-dollar playmaker will return at 100 per cent fitness if he undergoes a second round of surgery.

Foran, however, is facing a huge decision about the next step of his recovery.

“Not only did he dislocate the shoulder, but he tore off his rotator cuff as well,” Dr Trantalis told The Sunday Telegraph.

“He’s had one problem fixed to stop it popping out again but he’s tossing up whether to get the rotator cuff fixed as well.

“That recovery is a lot longer and took Billy Slater 12 months.

“So he’s got to decide whether to battle on the way it is and get back to football next year and cope with the pain and do his best. That way’s a lot faster.

“He’s off contract next year and it’s a big issue because he wants to play as soon as possible.”

The 29-year-old five-eighth or halfback will decide over the weekend with Canterbury’s medical staff. He’s desperate to play next year to show the Bulldogs and rival clubs that he deserves another contract.

“There’s no question he can come back,” Dr Trantalis said, “He’s had ongoing issues with the shoulder but he’s got the potential to make a full recovery.

“He’s just got to decide which way to go. I found him very motivated to continue playing and there’s no reason he can’t and have a good positive end to his career.

“The difficulty is his contract situation.”

Foran remains in an upbeat mood despite yet another injury setback.

By the end of next year he will have missed 70 games in five seasons.

“This isn’t about the money,” Foran said. “It’s about playing a game I love for another few years and to achieve what I set out to do when I first started in rugby league.”

Dr Trantalis saved Slater’s career when most thought the champion Storm fullback had no hope of playing again.

“I hadn’t seen a worse case in a footballer,” Dr Trantalis said

“It’s usually a major trauma to rip off the tendon like Billy did. Like a really bad car accident.

“I was optimistic I could get his shoulder better but I was concerned it may be career-ending.

“He was in a bad way and couldn’t even hold his arm up.”

He credits Slater for showing an extraordinary commitment to his rehabilitation.

“He is the best rehab patient I’ve ever had,” Dr Trantalis said.

“The commitment he showed. Wow. The motivation. Fantastic.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/fcacf7a4c125c8b0bea2004010a28809

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Kieran Foran’s surgeon will rebuild broken playmaker with another operation

The shoulder surgeon who saved the career of Melbourne Storm superstar Billy Slater says he can do the same for luckless Canterbury Bulldogs star Kieran Foran.

Dr John Trantalis operated on Foran last week and later declared the million-dollar playmaker will return at 100 per cent fitness if he undergoes a second round of surgery.

Foran, however, is facing a huge decision about the next step of his recovery.

“Not only did he dislocate the shoulder, but he tore off his rotator cuff as well,” Dr Trantalis told The Sunday Telegraph.

“He’s had one problem fixed to stop it popping out again but he’s tossing up whether to get the rotator cuff fixed as well.

“That recovery is a lot longer and took Billy Slater 12 months.

“So he’s got to decide whether to battle on the way it is and get back to football next year and cope with the pain and do his best. That way’s a lot faster.

“He’s off contract next year and it’s a big issue because he wants to play as soon as possible.”

The 29-year-old five-eighth or halfback will decide over the weekend with Canterbury’s medical staff. He’s desperate to play next year to show the Bulldogs and rival clubs that he deserves another contract.

“There’s no question he can come back,” Dr Trantalis said, “He’s had ongoing issues with the shoulder but he’s got the potential to make a full recovery.

“He’s just got to decide which way to go. I found him very motivated to continue playing and there’s no reason he can’t and have a good positive end to his career.

“The difficulty is his contract situation.”

Foran remains in an upbeat mood despite yet another injury setback.

By the end of next year he will have missed 70 games in five seasons.

“This isn’t about the money,” Foran said. “It’s about playing a game I love for another few years and to achieve what I set out to do when I first started in rugby league.”

Dr Trantalis saved Slater’s career when most thought the champion Storm fullback had no hope of playing again.

“I hadn’t seen a worse case in a footballer,” Dr Trantalis said

“It’s usually a major trauma to rip off the tendon like Billy did. Like a really bad car accident.

“I was optimistic I could get his shoulder better but I was concerned it may be career-ending.

“He was in a bad way and couldn’t even hold his arm up.”

He credits Slater for showing an extraordinary commitment to his rehabilitation.

“He is the best rehab patient I’ve ever had,” Dr Trantalis said.

“The commitment he showed. Wow. The motivation. Fantastic.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/fcacf7a4c125c8b0bea2004010a28809
Going off that it sounds like there is a chance Foran might not have the second surgery and be ready in early rounds of 2020 but his shoulder will be a ticking time bomb.....

We would also miss out on any compensation just so Foran can get in the shop window to get himself a new deal.

I really hope he takes the second operation route and is ruled out for next year.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dogs just need to let foran know he's done at the club from a playing stand point, regardless of if he "gets fit".

We should offer him a coaching gig and if he declines he can test himself on the market after a full season without playing.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Dogs just need to let foran know he's done at the club from a playing stand point, regardless of if he "gets fit".

We should offer him a coaching gig and if he declines he can test himself on the market after a full season without playing.
Harsh but exactly spot on.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does this not say it all that proves no matter what he will still have issues and ongoing pain that he has to deal with and manage?

What an absolute f*cking rort! It is a disgrace that not just Foran buy also the surgeon taking everyone for fools. Foran is a car wreck and the Dogs have to immediately tell him without sugar coating it that he will not be re-signed.

I have been a fan of Foran's but I am now slowly losing respect for him because like the Dogs have looked after him it is not being reciprocated and is holding the club back.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Should just boot the selfish **** out altogether and be done with it. Who pays for his medical bills if it happens in a Rep game? Surely not the club?

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I respect him a lot. He is a fighter and one of the toughest fuckers around, there can be no doubt now.

rotator cuffs ain’t easy to come back from, but billy slater did it.

If I was foz, I’d take a year off and just focus on the body and recovery and then come back on a reduced contract.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
And once again what a truly awful signing, no one even comes close in modern rugby league.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
This situation seems to get worse all the time... he needs to think of the club and fans...

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Does this not say it all that proves no matter what he will still have issues and ongoing pain that he has to deal with and manage?

What an absolute f*cking rort! It is a disgrace that not just Foran buy also the surgeon taking everyone for fools. Foran is a car wreck and the Dogs have to immediately tell him without sugar coating it that he will not be re-signed.

I have been a fan of Foran's but I am now slowly losing respect for him because like the Dogs have looked after him it is not being reciprocated and is holding the club back.
The way I read it is that if he has the second surgery then the shoulder can recover to 100% but he could avoid the second surgery and be available in the early rounds of next season but it will have issues and ongoing pain.

Given Foran's history any other option besides having the second surgery is utterly ridiculous I can't believe they are even thinking about not going ahead with it.

rogueflare

popeye
Reaction score
I reckon get him to fix it and exclude him from our top 30 for next year. That would mean his contract shouldn’t count towards our salary cap because he is not an option for us next year ... not sure if it works this way though.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
This situation seems to get worse all the time... he needs to think of the club and fans...
It's quite clear he doesn't give a crap about that stuff. Part of the Manly virus that infiltrated and DEStroyed our club. I'm not certain we will recover from this tbh.

We can't attract proper players and the board seems reluctant to acknowledge this and throw a little extra towards the first one to get the ball rolling.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Going off that it sounds like there is a chance Foran might not have the second surgery and be ready in early rounds of 2020 but his shoulder will be a ticking time bomb.....

We would also miss out on any compensation just so Foran can get in the shop window to get himself a new deal.

I really hope he takes the second operation route and is ruled out for next year.
Another few years lol, those at the 3the key words That stood out.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
It's quite clear he doesn't give a crap about that stuff. Part of the Manly virus that infiltrated and DEStroyed our club. I'm not certain we will recover from this tbh.

We can't attract proper players and the board seems reluctant to acknowledge this and throw a little extra towards the first one to get the ball rolling.
I’m not really close enough to know what’s going on in negotiations (or lack of) but from the outside looking in your 100 with the last paragraph...

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Not about the money he says pfffft

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

If not the shoulder, then will be hammys, back, quads or big toe.

Bulldogs luck with this guy so bad, we can't even get a new injury outa him.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol. So much for doctor patient confidentiality

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol. So much for doctor patient confidentiality
It does seem odd the surgeon is willing to share all but the club are playing their cards close to their chest. The club needs to move on from Foran ASAP. Start the next chapter and try and forget it ever happened.