Official Contracts looking ahead

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Wakeham and Hoppa have been away with the rep games so that could be the problem there? Everything with Jackson seems very quite. They have been locking up lots of players lately hopefully we hear some news soon.
I've had nightmares that Jackson signed for the Knights for 900k to finish off his career. You'd think Jackson would of been priority. I'm hoping he stays for 700k (maybe we're still negotiating $ and we started 50-100k lower?).

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've had nightmares that Jackson signed for the Knights for 900k to finish off his career. You'd think Jackson would of been priority. I'm hoping he stays for 700k (maybe we're still negotiating $ and we started 50-100k lower?).
I really doubt anyone is going to fork out $900k for Jackson especially Newcastle their cap is stretched to the limit. I think he will end up staying but the longer it drags out the more chance is he is going.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I really doubt anyone is going to fork out $900k for Jackson especially Newcastle their cap is stretched to the limit. I think he will end up staying but the longer it drags out the more chance is he is going.
They need leaders and a Second Rower. A real ideal signing if they're willing to spend the money. If Jackson could implement some of the values he carries throughout their squad they'd be a massive threat (similar to Graham going to the Dragons - even tho that hasn't really worked out). If their cap is full or not enough space then we're safe I guess. They actually have Guerra and a lot of other players coming off contract so they'd be able to fit him in if they wanted.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
They need leaders and a Second Rower. A real ideal signing if they're willing to spend the money. If Jackson could implement some of the values he carries throughout their squad they'd be a massive threat (similar to Graham going to the Dragons - even tho that hasn't really worked out). If their cap is full or not enough space then we're safe I guess. They actually have Guerra and a lot of other players coming off contract so they'd be able to fit him in if they wanted.
We have plenty of ideal signings we need too but it doesn’t mean it’s going to happen. They had to release some players to bring in Brailey so they won’t have room for anyone else especially when Ponga wants more money too.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We have plenty of ideal signings we need too but it doesn’t mean it’s going to happen. They had to release some players to bring in Brailey so they won’t have room for anyone else especially when Ponga wants more money too.
This is for 2021 not next year. They're already cap compliant with Brailey. We don't spend the money so we don't sign anyone. If we look at the Knights recruitment over the last two to three years they do. Like I said they'll have Guerra, Ese'ese, Levi, Moga and Watson to name a few coming off contract. They can fit Jackson in if they want to and he'd be an ideal signing for them. I'm not saying it'll happen but it's a possibility.

iDoggiesFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
No to resigning Tolman.

I’d rather Murdoch Masila from the UK on $400 - $450k. Strong ball runner that has the ability to bust tackles and wouldn’t cost an absolute fortune.

Word is that he is willing to return back to Aus if he gets an offer from an NRL club.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Jackson's contracts have always dragged on.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
No to resigning Tolman.

I’d rather Murdoch Masila from the UK on $400 - $450k. Strong ball runner that has the ability to bust tackles and wouldn’t cost an absolute fortune.

Word is that he is willing to return back to Aus if he gets an offer from an NRL club.
I'd like Flegler as a Tolman replacement. I would actually keep Tolman tho for 400k (will be dependent on him too as he could go to the Super League for more money). I think we need leaders to help us transition but that's assuming we're bringing in four to five players (top or emerging) for 2021.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't like to see Tolman extended.

The hit ups and hogging the ball stifle any attack we do manage. The forwards probably rely on him a bit too much and we need a gameplan where we have tackle busting running forwards. A great player for us but better to move on building a different era.
Yeah we can't keep settling for that level of mediocrity. Tolman tries hard and has a high workrate on paper but does nothing to blunt the other team in attack or defence. Thanks for all your hard work Tol's but we need much better from our starting props, and you aint no bench player.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Isn't Tolman on a stacked contract?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Isn't Tolman on a stacked contract?
A back ended contract. When averaged out it'll still be more then what he'd get if he's resigned. I can't find any figures anywhere what he's exactly on next year. I'd probably say something between 700-800k. He was a player we tried to shop around (no takers) so he's on a lot.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
A back ended contract. When averaged out it'll still be more then what he'd get if he's resigned. I can't find any figures anywhere what he's exactly on next year. I'd probably say something between 700-800k. He was a player we tried to shop around (no takers) so he's on a lot.
Correct. Part of the reason why 2020 is the last year of cap pain. Tolman has been a good club man, like Eastwood and a few others so although it’s big dough for a prop and not the highest quality prop, I don’t begrudge him the coin too much, but wouldn’t renew him beyond 2020 (assuming we recruit a suitable replacement).

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
No to tolman extension yes to takiaho

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In your view, who would be a suitable replacement for tolman?
Correct. Part of the reason why 2020 is the last year of cap pain. Tolman has been a good club man, like Eastwood and a few others so although it’s big dough for a prop and not the highest quality prop, I don’t begrudge him the coin too much, but wouldn’t renew him beyond 2020 (assuming we recruit a suitable replacement).

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hoppa, Jacko and Wakeham are the only ones I'd like to see wrapped up before the start of the season and the rest can play for a deal.
For me Hoppa is like JMK I just can't see it, I know I'm on my own and I also think Jacko is past his prime and not a good captain as he doesn't even try to control the ref like a Cameron Smith.

The one time I remember he questioned the ref he let in a try as play was allowed to start before he got back into position.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
For me Hoppa is like JMK I just can't see it, I know I'm on my own and I also think Jacko is past his prime and not a good captain as he doesn't even try to control the ref like a Cameron Smith.

The one time I remember he questioned the ref he let in a try as play was allowed to start before he got back into position.
Given the depth in the backline Hoppa is a great player to have. I thought he was great at centre this year.

I think it’s unfair to compare any captain to Smith because he just owns every single ref in the comp. There’s no captain that has that level of influence. I thought Jacko came of age as a captain towards the end of the year and really stood up.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Best that are available for 2021:
-Flegler
-Arrow
-Fa'asuamaleau
-Butcher
-Taukeiaho
-JWH

Taukeiaho and Flegler have always stood out for me (as targets). Arrow would be great but he'd be too expensive (1m).

I've left out a few players like James and Twal which could be okay. I thought Tetevano would be an okay buy too and is available for next year.

So probably someone not on this list...

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Given the depth in the backline Hoppa is a great player to have. I thought he was great at centre this year.

I think it’s unfair to compare any captain to Smith because he just owns every single ref in the comp. There’s no captain that has that level of influence. I thought Jacko came of age as a captain towards the end of the year and really stood up.
Jackson and Hopoate were our best players last season (I personally gave it to Jackson). DWZ possibly but he only played half the season. Jackson is one of the best captains and leaders (especially through his actions) in the competition... also the example the other guy made the referee has to wait for the player to get back into the line (he was actually called over by the referee) so it was a mistake by the referee not Jackson and could of happened to anyone.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Brady summed it up pretty well.

I like Arrow but apparently he doesn’t want to leave the GC and would be too expensive.

Can’t see JWH coming.

Thompson maybe.

You’d spend $1m on a prop?