The "R U OK ?" Thread

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Wow, just had a real good look at distances from us, and Hillville, which is now an emergency warning ( again) is only 56km away directly via Lakes way, where there is a stack of stuff ready to burn .

With the anticipated wind change later, it could head closer towards the coast and with embers being able to travel up to 10 km in front of the fire front we might be in a wee bit of trouble. The one thing is at the moment it is heading north away from our neck of the woods.We are actively assessing things and will need to make a decision sooner rather than later should situation change.

As I said cars are already packed and water etc, hoses fire extinguishers are ready if need be. The firies are fighting it really hard at the moment and I don't envy them one bit, selfless men and women who are giving of themselves without monetary reward It is very quiet and still and the smoke has become a permanent resident around here since last Thursday. Schools are closed and a lot of shops too. The local supermarkets are running short of certain things but luckily we have made sure we have plenty of non perishables in the event of power loss or having to relocate to evac centre. We have had a million offers from people we know well and some not so well to join them if things go bad. Situations like this bring out the inherent goodness in people, I have seen plenty of it and I can't believe there are so many issues in this world.

Please, anyone who is out and about make sure you watch for fire activity, listen to the authorities and be mindful of your neighbours.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There now appears to be some loss of homes with the Hillville fire and there are two fires near Gloucester and Nowendoc. Thankfully no human casualties. I am not liking this.

Emmaville now in imminent danger.

RFS fire map is a horrible thing to look at.

Banned
Reaction score
There now appears to be some loss of homes with the Hillville fire and there are two fires near Gloucester and Nowendoc. Thankfully no human casualties. I am not liking this.

https://www.livetraffic.com/desktop.html may come of aid.
Also, if you've portable BBQ's and gas bottles, take them and your perishables to the evac centre and cook up stuff for folks to eat, rather than see it go to waste.
Natural fibre clothing is a must considering embers etc.
And if you can, leave clear access into and out of your property when practical.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
https://www.livetraffic.com/desktop.html may come of aid.
Also, if you've portable BBQ's and gas bottles, take them and your perishables to the evac centre and cook up stuff for folks to eat, rather than see it go to waste.
Natural fibre clothing is a must considering embers etc.
And if you can, leave clear access into and out of your property when practical.

Yes, yes and yes. Been keeping an eye on live traffic too as it is a great reference for road closures and updated in that regard more than the RFS. Both those have become our best friend along with the ABC who have pretty good coverage and info. It is easy to get carried away and become paranoid so a modicum of good sense is handy as well. Oh and the support of good folk like yourself and others here on the kennel.
Family who live in Gloucester are now facing a few problems. Once again the people on the front line doing a great job and our local brigade in our little village are a good source of info and help. Always having gatherings and coming into summer bush fire awareness.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

I used to live in Torrington and go to school in Emmaville until year 10. Torrington has pretty much been wiped out. It was a community scattered right in the middle of a huge tract of national parks and crown land. Emmaville itself should fare a little better but there are loads of homes round there nestled in bushland which would be at risk. A lot of my old school friends still have a lot of family in the area.

The thing that's really making me angry about all this is the attempted point scoring the politicians are doing. It just makes me sad to think that our so called leaders will use a natural disaster to try to win influence. Scum like Barnaby Joyce who's basically said things like the people in Wytaliba who died deserved it for voting green. Once the embers all cool off we're going to be seeing 'heartwarming' footage of these scumbags going into the areas to help people they generally don't spare a thought for for just long enough to get photos and videos of them holding a shovel with a sad look on their face.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I used to live in Torrington and go to school in Emmaville until year 10. Torrington has pretty much been wiped out. It was a community scattered right in the middle of a huge tract of national parks and crown land. Emmaville itself should fare a little better but there are loads of homes round there nestled in bushland which would be at risk. A lot of my old school friends still have a lot of family in the area.
No good mate. Hope everyone is fine as can be under the circumstances. I feel for those who had to face that and for those who lost everything.

Last night came and went and things got better, but as we have been told it is not over yet.... for anyone... Still have things ready if needed.

At the moment smoke has been driven away by a reported 37km south easterly breeze unfortunately not helping the firies. Seems stronger here though.

Roads are open, except for one or two, not like yesterday but still some places here are not open for business due to uncertainty.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No good mate. Hope everyone is fine as can be under the circumstances. I feel for those who had to face that and for those who lost everything.

Last night came and went and things got better, but as we have been told it is not over yet.... for anyone... Still have things ready if needed.

At the moment smoke has been driven away by a reported 37km south easterly breeze unfortunately not helping the firies. Seems stronger here though.

Roads are open, except for one or two, not like yesterday but still some places here are not open for business due to uncertainty.
I hope it stays well away from your home and community Dogluva.

Just heard from my sister at Taree. The fires went through the farm she lives on. They'd evacuated so they were safe. But they lost their shed which had her hubbies Harley and a friend's restored Falcon as well as all their tools. Some of the fences on the property were burnt too. But they managed to keep the house safe. They had a big pump running dousing the house overnight. They also have some cows which she's said look a bit singed but thankfully are still alive and kicking.

These are the photos she took before and during the fire.
received_3493787557313058.jpeg
received_571592823597806.jpeg

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Just heard from my sister at Taree. The fires went through the farm she lives on. They'd evacuated so they were safe. But they lost their shed which had her hubbies Harley and a friend's restored Falcon as well as all their tools. Some of the fences on the property were burnt too. But they managed to keep the house safe. They had a big pump running dousing the house overnight. They also have some cows which she's said look a bit singed but thankfully are still alive and kicking.

These are the photos she took before and during the fire.View attachment 11967 View attachment 11968

Yeah we hope to remain unscathed too. I really feel for those who have been impacted by this horrible inferno and the stories being told make my heart ache. We have already had a major fire in town right in the middle of population including nursing homes. It travelled alarmingly quickly and action by the RFS and the air support did a magnificent job to snuff it out. It was scary listening to the emergency services call as the fire fighter rolled our street names being impacted by the fire, he said fire everywhere and that they needed everything they had available now. It was remarkable to hear just how calm and controlled he was, no messing around, direct and to the point and very explicit about location. Just amazing. We saw the fire rolling across and down the bush land, the smoke thick and black/white.

Blood red sun and moon is what we have been seeing and the smoke just hangs all day. Your clothes stink as does the air and that is away from the main fires. Plenty of people getting sick with respiratory conditions, not good at all.

I am so glad that your sister is okay and her property etc. impacted fairly minimally, as I said some others not so lucky. I hope that she stays okay, as all who are in the fires path because as we have been told the problems ate not yet over and will be with us for some time. A lot of landowners here have been hamstrung by councils etc. who dictate how much they may clear around their homes. Some get into major trouble, but it is their land, their home and I believe they have the right to protect it. They use common sense when clearing doing only what is necessary but sometimes they get caught out and fined by over zealous councils for going a bit over the guidelines.

We currently have the riot squad in town cruising around as their has been looting in the areas of the fires. Scum of the earth is what those types are. Times like these bring out the best in 99% of the population the other 1% who prey on those who are having a hard time deserve nothing but contempt and the full force of the law.

As for those who deliberately light the fires they need harsh punishment indeed. I read the 9 year old who was lighting fires in Sydney gets a warning. What a joke! In my opinion you are old enough to be punished for that if you are old enough to knowingly light a match and at 9 years of age you do have an awareness. Slap on the wrist for that child , nothing more. I would be showing that child photos of what happens when a fire front goes through and how hard it is for our firefighters at the moment. Let them see exactly the damage that has been caused to peoples homes and tell them how many have died in the fires. Makes my blood boil.

Just got a text message from neighbour who has been told smoke approaching from the west so close all windows and doors. Bugger, just been able to have them open for a while today to try and air out the house. Shouldn't complain though because as I said at least we are safe at this point in time.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

These are the photos she took before and during the fire.View attachment 11967 View attachment 11968
Brilliant to have the house doused in water..I’ve always been a believer in this!!

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
@dogluva How you travelling Mama?

Hope everything is ok, you guys have been in my prayers.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
@dogluva How you travelling Mama?

Hope everything is ok, you guys have been in my prayers.

All is good at the moment.

Fires are still active and have played havoc with transport and school. Daughter has not been to school for the last three days as minimal staff and road closures. She gets stuck out there and we won't see her until access available. Just so over the smoke and the uncertainty and it is not even summer. Had to report flames the other day in an area that has already been through the wringer. As is the case with the fires they smoulder on for days but at least the public know to report anything untoward when there is no engine around. Firies here have been checking in daily with areas that have been hardest hit for re ignitions. They are a special bunch of people, heroes in my eyes.

Thank you for your thoughts they are appreciated.

Did you get the blood red moon last night? We have had it now since last Thursday really freaky!

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
All is good at the moment.

Fires are still active and have played havoc with transport and school. Daughter has not been to school for the last three days as minimal staff and road closures. She gets stuck out there and we won't see her until access available. Just so over the smoke and the uncertainty and it is not even summer. Had to report flames the other day in an area that has already been through the wringer. As is the case with the fires they smoulder on for days but at least the public know to report anything untoward when there is no engine around. Firies here have been checking in daily with areas that have been hardest hit for re ignitions. They are a special bunch of people, heroes in my eyes.

Thank you for your thoughts they are appreciated.

Did you get the blood red moon last night? We have had it now since last Thursday really freaky!
It's was orange on Tuesday but normal since. The haze has gone St Vincent's have lifted house arrest for me lol

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's was orange on Tuesday but normal since. The haze has gone St Vincent's have lifted house arrest for me lol
The smoke here today is absolutely abominable and it makes a foggy day in London look tame by comparison. Sun trying really hard to break through and it is hot. Some of the fires have reared up again and daughter has not been to school since Monday as roads cut on and off. I feel for the guy who is GA at our school as his house is under threat from the fires and he doesn't know if and when he can get back or whether or not his house is still standing.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The smoke here today is absolutely abominable and it makes a foggy day in London look tame by comparison. Sun trying really hard to break through and it is hot. Some of the fires have reared up again and daughter has not been to school since Monday as roads cut on and off. I feel for the guy who is GA at our school as his house is under threat from the fires and he doesn't know if and when he can get back or whether or not his house is still standing.
I really feel for you and the people in fire affected areas.

Keep us updated Mama and keep safe.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I really feel for you and the people in fire affected areas.

Keep us updated Mama and keep safe.
Will do.

Just saw this article and nearly lost it.....

I know you can have an opinion about something but honestly???????

Sometimes I wonder just what these people are thinking?

https://www.9news.com.au/national/b...ings-sausage-sizzle-to-raise-money-for_151119

'Why oh why': Vegan complains about Bunnings sausage sizzle to raise money for bushfire victims
By Stuart Marsh • Senior Producer
3:38pm Nov 15, 2019
  • A vegan has objected to Bunnings using a sausage sizzle to raise money for bushfire victims, claiming it is inappropriate because farming meat contributes to global warming and therefore the risk of more fires.
"Why oh why are people selling sausages to raise money, when it's known that meat is a contributing factor to climate change?!" the woman wrote in a post on the Facebook group "Vegan Gals Australia". Her identity has been deliberately omitted.
"Which is a contributing factor to these fires?! It honestly baffles my mind and makes me so sad.

"It's a heartbreaking vicious cycle."
The post attracted considerable criticism for being insensitive to people fighting to defend property and lives from more than 100 firs across NSW and Queensland.
Bunnings announced this morning it would hold a sausage sizzle between 9am and 4pm on November 22 to raise funds for communities hit by drought and the bushfires.

The humble sausage sizzle has become an argument in the climate change debate. (Instagram)
Bunnings chief operating officer Debbie Poole said store team members were totally behind the cause.

• As a part of these local communities who have been affected, we want to help. Many of our regional teams have already been assisting impacted communities on a local level but we had team members from all over Australia also wanting to lend a hand for these two important causes," Ms Poole said.
"Out team members always embrace the opportunity to get behind the BBQ themselves to help out."
The hardware giant is partnering with GIVIT, an organisation that ensures charitable donations are given to communities who need them most.

Bunnings has said 100 percent of funds raised will go to communites who need it most. (Fairfax Media)
"We guarantee 100 percent of all funds raised through Bunnings will be used to purchase essential items for those affected," GIVIT CEO Sarah Tennant said.
"We are also committed to purchasing locally wherever possible to support the economic recovery of these affected areas."
More than 300 homes have been destroyed or damaged by fires and more than a million hectares have been consumed by separate blazes.
Four people died in the fires.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Today is a good day made even better by this. These people are marvellous human beings and demonstrate all that is positive and good...from our local paper...

We thank you...

https://www.manningrivertimes.com.a...WD-P6i0HZ1b0_-45gaY-ohDu-VvPIUVp_kf1SqYLpjMMQ

Charbel Nasser co-ordinates donation drive to help people impacted by bushfires
  • Ainslee Dennis
"Everyone in Sydney is thinking about you guys. If they are not here a piece of them is here in some of these donations. You aren't on your own, you are honestly not, so just know that, people care."

Charbel Nasser of Oran Park speaks passionately at Taree Showground after driving from Sydney in a ute packed with new goods gifted in a donation drive. Charbel travelled in a convoy of three utes with George Wehbe, Tony Ayoub, Paul Chalhoub and Bruce Missen.

On Wednesday night the men worked to box and load the vehicle trays with personal care items, food, goods for firies, and new household items.

They arrived at Taree Showground around midday Thursday, unloaded at the distribution centre, and then returned home. Charbel says the plan is to try to return again on Sunday with more goods gathered from collection points in Oran Park, Prestons and Gracelands.

Charbel initiated a Facebook campaign to gather donations, sharing it with his friends and family. However, news quickly spread of the donation drive and so he set up three donation points.

"The night before last I was having dinner with my wife and daughter and I thought, we have to do something because from the outside watching this it's just heartbreaking," Charbel said.

"We've got to get involved. We've got to feel it the way you guys are feeling it, even though we are not from here. We've got to help you to get on your feet, and we can't stop until you guys are ready to go.

"How I look at it, and don't take it the wrong way, but when you find injured wildlife and they need help, you've got to care for them until they can go out on their own, and this is what everyone needs to do for people here.

"We live in a country that does so much for us, we have no choice, we have to do something for this country and everyone who lives in it.

"Dad came from Lebanon and they didn't do much for him, and one thing he has always taught us and it's a value at home, is to give as much as you can to this country because if it wasn't for this country you would not be here.

"We live in a country where everyone can rebuild and people will help you to get back on your feet."

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

How is your sister mate? Hope she is well and damage no more than what you advised.

Went to our RFS station here in our little village today and touched base with them as to what is going on on the ground. They held an information morning ( one of many that they do) and got some massive pointers from them and on the whole we are doing things pretty much textbook as to our fire safety plan.

Water is an issue for them as it is everywhere and had the discussion about sea water use. Didn't think they used it as it is not crash hot for the environment but yeah they do when they can and need to. Bore water levels have dropped around the area which is a concern but what can you do with no rain and unprecedented use? We are lucky we have two 3500 litre water tanks which we have offered on SWS for the firies if they need it. We sparingly use it ourselves because you never know when it will be critical to have it. Gardens get used to fending for themselves and grass, well it will regenerate and survive without constant watering...

Last edited: