Bronc's offering Fifita 750K. How much should we offer ?

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I don’t get why someone is smashing the bookies. They picked us for the spoon and weren’t far off it. We fucking sucked. We had a good month at the end to save us but for most of the year had the spoon.

They can’t predict injuries like the dragons and cowboys had or they would of been well above us too.

Either way they are more accurate than our delusional fans thinking we aren’t in for another year of trash.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don’t get why someone is smashing the bookies. They picked us for the spoon and weren’t far off it. We fucking sucked. We had a good month at the end to save us but for most of the year had the spoon.

They can’t predict injuries like the dragons and cowboys had or they would of been well above us too.

Either way they are more accurate than our delusional fans thinking we aren’t in for another year of trash.
Some on here seem to be rejoicing the loss of Foran but I for one am really concerned about our halves next year. With Foran playing even half of the games I would've expected us to get top 8. I really would've.

But without decent halves. Without adding some strikepower in the backline I do worry you're right.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Some on here seem to be rejoicing the loss of Foran but I for one am really concerned about our halves next year. With Foran playing even half of the games I would've expected us to get top 8. I really would've.

But without decent halves. Without adding some strikepower in the backline I do worry you're right.
It’s not being negative mate.

Even with Foran last year for half the year we where fighting off the spoon up until the last month. People are delusional because they think we won some games in the last month.

What about the 5 months we where absolute trash before it? I remember that well.

We where literally fighting with the titans for the spoon for most the year
And for a large chunk they where above us.

Most teams have improved obviously.

We haven’t really. Our biggest issues are still the same. Stimson is our best recruit and he doesn’t address anything.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The thing is CLEARLY our board are NOT strengthening any other position. No real spine players available for 2021, no decent centres either if we don't chase Mitchell. Zac Loxax is an option but he would come fairly cheap. In attack for 2021 we're gonna have good quality NRL standard forwards, halves, and backs minus Foran.

Where do you expect our points to come from ?

Where on the field will we have an advantage over any other team ?

If we were seriously pursuing the Turbo brothers (which I believe we were) we would have been forking out up to 2.5M a season. For the same amount I would have thought we could sign both Mitchell and Fifita but if we're not chasing Mitchell now then Fifita has to be a f..king No 1 priority as far as I'm concerned or the board can frankly f..k off at the next election.

I'd even consider a Wolfpack type offer of up to 1.4M a season (same as we would have paid Tom Turbo with a suspect hamstring) since we're NOW f..king DESPERATE. That would be enough for him to move his whole family here, not work and be his personal chauffeur to and from training or hire him another chauffeur outside the cap FFS.

I just can't understand the people on here not wanting us to spend big money on ANY player it seems. Is it your money ? Do you want us to be a top 4 team within the next 5 years or not ? We can still sign plenty of cheapies (as you love) and the best juniors cheap - ONE expensive player (after Foran leaves) is not going to stop us signing them

PLEASE REMEMBER both Peter Mullholland (one of the best recruitment managers of all time) and Andrew Voss who have watched a thousand times more junior matches than any of us BOTH said Fifita was "the best young player they'd EVER SEEN" - that's backs AND forwards. If this player isn't worth chasing seriously I don't know if ANYONE is.

Broncos offer to David Fifita even bigger than Payne Haas contract
He’s just out of a Bali jail cell — now this multi-million dollar deal could make David Fifita the richest teen in Brisbane Broncos history.

Staff writers
FOX SPORTSNOVEMBER 14, 20198:45AM

David Fifita is the hottest player on the open market.Source:AAP

Move over Payne Haas, your short-lived reign as the richest teen in Brisbane Broncos’ history looks like it’s about to end.

The Courier Mail reported on Wednesday night the Broncos are poised to offer Fifita a $3 million deal across four years at $750,000 per season to eclipse Haas’ $3.4 million contract over six years in order to secure the hottest property on the player market from 2021 onwards.

Stream over 50 sports live & anytime on your TV or favourite device with KAYO SPORTS. The biggest Aussie sports and the best from overseas. Just $25/month. No lock-in contract. Get your 14 day free trial >

That would make the 19-year-old Fifita the best paid teenager in the Broncos’ 31-year history.

If successful it would also fend off rival offers that have been tipped to approach $1 million per season, with clubs such as the Roosters, Rabbitohs, Warriors and Titans showing interest.

The mammoth offer from Brisbane comes after the most tumultuous period of Fifita’s life, in which he was locked up for three days in a Bali cell for allegedly assaulting a nightclub security guard before he paid at least $30,000 in a “peace agreement” to secure his freedom.

The Broncos sent welfare manager Adam Walsh to Bali and organised a lawyer to broker the compensation package for Fifita, with CEO Paul White embracing Fifita at Brisbane Airport upon his arrival home.

NRL: Brisbane winger Corey Oates believes their could be more to the David Fifita story. Oates doesn't see Fifita as the kind of player to cause trouble.

And the way the Broncos helped Fifita get home to Brisbane has the club in the box seat to secure his signature despite the seven-figure offers he’s attracting on the open market.

Broncos winger Corey Oates said he hoped Fifita remained loyal to Brisbane.

“I hope Dave doesn’t go to Sydney,” he said.

“I don’t know what it is about the Broncos but it’s a great club for players. It’s hard to move away from a club like the Broncos with their professionalism and what they do for their players.

“Everyone is going to throw massive coin at an up and coming star like Dave, he has shown a lot of talent, but hopefully he sees what I see at the Broncos and stays here for a long time.

“He would be appreciative of what the Broncos have done for him the last few days. Putting Bali aside, you get looked after in every department by the Broncos.

“I honestly feel this group is getting on well together too. We are similar ages and if guys like Dave stay, it will help us win a comp.”

Brisbane Broncos player David Fifita is seen during training in Brisbane. (AAP Image/Dan Peled)Source:AAP

Fifita has only played 35 games for the Broncos, but he turned out for the Maroons in all three State of Origin matches last season and was on the verge of representing Australia before he fractured his eye socket while captaining the Junior Kangaroos.

Fifita’s Maroons teammate, Felise Kaufusi, said he hoped the blockbusting forward remained in Brisbane.

“I think Dave should stay at the Broncos,” Kaufusi said.

“I’m not too sure what clubs are chasing him but the key for Dave is where he feels comfortable and happy playing his football, and if that’s at the Broncos, he should stick around.

“If he feels he needs to get out of his comfort zone, then he might look around, but he will only get better as a player at the Broncos.

“He is going to be a superstar of the game. I had time with him in Origin camp this year and I was really impressed with his attitude and his willingness to learn.”

Originally published asBali jailbird becomes NRL’s richest teen
Offer what you want, the Broncos have this in the bag.

What is happening under the table we can't match.

We could offer $1.5 million and they could could offer $300 000 and he would still sign with them and the NRL would not be able to see anything wrong with that

Last edited:

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It’s not being negative mate.

Even with Foran last year for half the year we where fighting off the spoon up until the last month. People are delusional because they think we won some games in the last month.

What about the 5 months we where absolute trash before it? I remember that well.

We where literally fighting with the titans for the spoon for most the year
And for a large chunk they where above us.

Most teams have improved obviously.

We haven’t really. Our biggest issues are still the same. Stimson is our best recruit and he doesn’t address anything.
I think we all remember the trash. The whole Kennel was up-in-arms so you really shouldn't mat it out that you're the only one who knows that. It's no revelation.

But ... I also remember that we improved quite significantly towards the backend of the season. Yes, the season was over but we really did do quite well. That can't be argued. I think we won 7 out of our last 10 games didn't we? That's a little over a month, isn't it? Actually, 2.5 times more than what you're saying.

I honestly believe we've recruited well so far and got some decent players. Plenty of time left yet to get more so will reserve judgement until then.

But, if our halves stay the same I worry.

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's good that those clubs are offering big money for the guys like fifita and the turbo boys. We don't need to buy those players. It gives bulldogs a chance to sign an upcoming player who those close clubs can't afford. Bulldogs need to be smart on how they spend the money and to be honest Latrell ain't worth a million. I'd go all out on keary when he comes off contract

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I think we all remember the trash. The whole Kennel was up-in-arms so you really shouldn't mat it out that you're the only one who knows that. It's no revelation.

But ... I also remember that we improved quite significantly towards the backend of the season. Yes, the season was over but we really did do quite well. That can't be argued. I think we won 7 out of our last 10 games didn't we? That's a little over a month, isn't it? Actually, 2.5 times more than what you're saying.

I honestly believe we've recruited well so far and got some decent players. Plenty of time left yet to get more so will reserve judgement until then.

But, if our halves stay the same I worry.
I’m not saying I’m The only person who knows
Or remember. Simply stating others are forgetting and being delusional.

It’s not hard to improve if we only won 3 games in 4 months if what you said is accurate.

I remember the ladder position and the fact titans, cowboys and us where rotating last for a long long period of time with us last most of the time.

I honestly don’t think we have recruited well.

We have added very little and what we have added doesn’t address our issues.

I’m not saying it can’t change. Just that as of right now that’s the reality.

No point living in denial is the way I see it.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Agree and all the more necessary for Pay to use Wakeham. The only player we have who can create for others.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’m not saying I’m The only person who knows
Or remember. Simply stating others are forgetting and being delusional.

It’s not hard to improve if we only won 3 games in 4 months if what you said is accurate.

I remember the ladder position and the fact titans, cowboys and us where rotating last for a long long period of time with us last most of the time.

I honestly don’t think we have recruited well.

We have added very little and what we have added doesn’t address our issues.

I’m not saying it can’t change. Just that as of right now that’s the reality.

No point living in denial is the way I see it.
No one is disputing what you are saying but you are also leaving out some relevant facts.

On that winning streak last year the feature of the wins was our defence. Defence is all about attitude. They just turned up for each other.

If they can carry on that attitude we will go close to making the 8. The camaraderie was obvious, especially against Parra.

Difference to the year before that is this year the squad has been kept together as opposed to losing players at the beginning of this year.

Coupled with the fact that we have so many young players in our squad who will be better for an extra year of FG under their belt. Lewis, Cogger, Smith, Meany, Okunbour & Wakeham are all in their early 20s and are on the improve with extra experience and age.

I am not saying we will win the comp but we will go close to finals and have some good wins.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys clearly dont get it do you. As we passed on Mitchell because its too big a risk to pay someone with either attitude problems or injury prone big coin to COME to your Club as an unknown quantity...we wont be tying up big coin on ANY player NEW TO THE CLUB. We will find talented juniors and steal them before they are worth $750K a year.This is what our board has decided and I see nothing wrong with this stance. We will be top 4 again in maybe 4 to 6 years. It takes that long to spot talented 15 year olds and train them up to NRL standard.
There are 15 other clubs with hundreds of talent scouts. What faith do you have that our talent scouts are better than those from the other 15 teams firstly, then even if they spot someone special or there's a special player everyone knows about why would that young player come to us ahead of staying closer to home and playing for the club he supports or why come to us ahead of the Roosters. The Roosters are also getting the best young talent at the moment because young players want to play with superstars and receive the training from the top coaches and top team.

Even if we were somehow lucky enough to discover a future star what's to stop him signing with a more successful team like the Roosters to play with stars for the following season ?

How did the Roosters build into what they are now. After we beat them in the 2004 GF they bought more and more of our players. Good first graders learn off great first graders from their attitude to training to the way they play on the field. SBW had a huge influence on the other Roosters players when he was there. I remember I used to read the interviews. They all raved about how special it was to play with him and how professional he was with his attitude. In the past I remember us buying a world class player to teach our younger players (Bob McCarthey, Gary Stevens, M'cGuire (from Balmain), Brett Kimmorely, Bradley Clyde, Ricky Stuart) and more recently Foran. Unfortunately Foran is broken and not gonna be there next year or probably there after. Players like Mitchell and Fifita are very young but they also have the experience of winning multiple comps, playing State of Origin and test matches. That experience, those PROVEN players give team mates confidence.

Last edited:

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Offer what you want, the Broncos have this in the bag.

What is happening under the table we can't match.

We could offer $1.5 million and they could could offer $300 000 and he would still sign with them and the NRL would not be able to see anything wrong with that
So you are saying of we offered him 1.5 m a year he woudn't sign with the dogs? Please money talks !

Kiwipup

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Id offer Fifita 600k plus 2 yearly trips, all expenses paid for to Bali and a travel companion by the name of Bradtalo

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

We were one win off making the finals.
I’ve heard of glass half empty people but you really are a glass has broken into 100 pieces and cut your foot to shreds type person. Are you renewing your membership?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's good that those clubs are offering big money for the guys like fifita and the turbo boys. We don't need to buy those players. It gives bulldogs a chance to sign an upcoming player who those close clubs can't afford. Bulldogs need to be smart on how they spend the money and to be honest Latrell ain't worth a million. I'd go all out on keary when he comes off contract
Aren't you concerned about Keary's concussion risk though like a lot on here. If he gets another serious knock he may have to retire.

Who are the teams better than us ? Roosters, Raiders, Storm, Manly, Souths maybe. They all have at least a player or two on a MIL a season or close to it. Why do you think that is ?

Like we're gonna spot the next up and coming player for cheap whose going to become a star when every other club is trying to do the same. All clubs have spare dollars to sign such players at different times.

We have potential to be a very good team IF we add a couple of PROVEN game breakers - not maybes. Adding maybe's (players that may become great or may not) are exactly that - "MAYBES." As there are no decent halves available we need to strengthen the weakest links in OUR TEAM.

I think most of us would agree that DWZ, Hopa, and Remis Smith are all good enough to remain in our starting side no matter who we buy so we could improve Meaney's wing spot (even though Meaney is a decent NRL standard player) and the centre spot usually filled by Holland/Montoya/Harper. In the forwards Tolman is definitely the weakest link in attack. If we signed Mitchell to play fullback, DWZ could move to wing where we'd still get the benefit of his great kick returns and we could sign Zac Lomax to play centre. In the forwards I'd love to sign Fifita if there's anyway we could still afford him after Mitchell and Lomax but if not sign one the Roosters young forwards off contract for 2021.

This team would have top 4 potential right from 2021. We wouldn't have to wait another 4 years or more "hoping" that some bargain buys MIGHT turn out to be something special.

If you were forced to bet 1M of your own hard earned cash on who would prove the better player for the Dogs out of a proven player like Latrell Mitchell and an up and coming player with good potential who would you bet on ?

Latrell Mitchell
DWZ
Will Hopoate
Zac Lomax
Reimis Smith
Lachlan Lewis / Jake Averillo
Jack Cogger / Brandan Wakeham
Dylan Napa
JMK
Renouf Toomaga
CHN
David Fafita / Siosiua Taukeiaho
Josh Jackson

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Bar a fair few games we were robbed in and others that were close we could have easily slipped into 8.

I'm more than happy to ride the dogs off for another year if it means further building the core of the team but if the NRL give us a chance than there we will be a fair few more upsets than last season.

Making the 8 will be a massive leap for this club.

Last edited:

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thing is CLEARLY our board are NOT strengthening any other position. No real spine players available for 2021, no decent centres either if we don't chase Mitchell. Zac Loxax is an option but he would come fairly cheap. In attack for 2021 we're gonna have good quality NRL standard forwards, halves, and backs minus Foran.

Where do you expect our points to come from ?

Where on the field will we have an advantage over any other team ?

If we were seriously pursuing the Turbo brothers (which I believe we were) we would have been forking out up to 2.5M a season. For the same amount I would have thought we could sign both Mitchell and Fifita but if we're not chasing Mitchell now then Fifita has to be a f..king No 1 priority as far as I'm concerned or the board can frankly f..k off at the next election.

I'd even consider a Wolfpack type offer of up to 1.4M a season (same as we would have paid Tom Turbo with a suspect hamstring) since we're NOW f..king DESPERATE. That would be enough for him to move his whole family here, not work and be his personal chauffeur to and from training or hire him another chauffeur outside the cap FFS.

I just can't understand the people on here not wanting us to spend big money on ANY player it seems. Is it your money ? Do you want us to be a top 4 team within the next 5 years or not ? We can still sign plenty of cheapies (as you love) and the best juniors cheap - ONE expensive player (after Foran leaves) is not going to stop us signing them

PLEASE REMEMBER both Peter Mullholland (one of the best recruitment managers of all time) and Andrew Voss who have watched a thousand times more junior matches than any of us BOTH said Fifita was "the best young player they'd EVER SEEN" - that's backs AND forwards. If this player isn't worth chasing seriously I don't know if ANYONE is.

Broncos offer to David Fifita even bigger than Payne Haas contract
He’s just out of a Bali jail cell — now this multi-million dollar deal could make David Fifita the richest teen in Brisbane Broncos history.

Staff writers
FOX SPORTSNOVEMBER 14, 20198:45AM

David Fifita is the hottest player on the open market.Source:AAP

Move over Payne Haas, your short-lived reign as the richest teen in Brisbane Broncos’ history looks like it’s about to end.

The Courier Mail reported on Wednesday night the Broncos are poised to offer Fifita a $3 million deal across four years at $750,000 per season to eclipse Haas’ $3.4 million contract over six years in order to secure the hottest property on the player market from 2021 onwards.

Stream over 50 sports live & anytime on your TV or favourite device with KAYO SPORTS. The biggest Aussie sports and the best from overseas. Just $25/month. No lock-in contract. Get your 14 day free trial >

That would make the 19-year-old Fifita the best paid teenager in the Broncos’ 31-year history.

If successful it would also fend off rival offers that have been tipped to approach $1 million per season, with clubs such as the Roosters, Rabbitohs, Warriors and Titans showing interest.

The mammoth offer from Brisbane comes after the most tumultuous period of Fifita’s life, in which he was locked up for three days in a Bali cell for allegedly assaulting a nightclub security guard before he paid at least $30,000 in a “peace agreement” to secure his freedom.

The Broncos sent welfare manager Adam Walsh to Bali and organised a lawyer to broker the compensation package for Fifita, with CEO Paul White embracing Fifita at Brisbane Airport upon his arrival home.

NRL: Brisbane winger Corey Oates believes their could be more to the David Fifita story. Oates doesn't see Fifita as the kind of player to cause trouble.

And the way the Broncos helped Fifita get home to Brisbane has the club in the box seat to secure his signature despite the seven-figure offers he’s attracting on the open market.

Broncos winger Corey Oates said he hoped Fifita remained loyal to Brisbane.

“I hope Dave doesn’t go to Sydney,” he said.

“I don’t know what it is about the Broncos but it’s a great club for players. It’s hard to move away from a club like the Broncos with their professionalism and what they do for their players.

“Everyone is going to throw massive coin at an up and coming star like Dave, he has shown a lot of talent, but hopefully he sees what I see at the Broncos and stays here for a long time.

“He would be appreciative of what the Broncos have done for him the last few days. Putting Bali aside, you get looked after in every department by the Broncos.

“I honestly feel this group is getting on well together too. We are similar ages and if guys like Dave stay, it will help us win a comp.”

Brisbane Broncos player David Fifita is seen during training in Brisbane. (AAP Image/Dan Peled)Source:AAP

Fifita has only played 35 games for the Broncos, but he turned out for the Maroons in all three State of Origin matches last season and was on the verge of representing Australia before he fractured his eye socket while captaining the Junior Kangaroos.

Fifita’s Maroons teammate, Felise Kaufusi, said he hoped the blockbusting forward remained in Brisbane.

“I think Dave should stay at the Broncos,” Kaufusi said.

“I’m not too sure what clubs are chasing him but the key for Dave is where he feels comfortable and happy playing his football, and if that’s at the Broncos, he should stick around.

“If he feels he needs to get out of his comfort zone, then he might look around, but he will only get better as a player at the Broncos.

“He is going to be a superstar of the game. I had time with him in Origin camp this year and I was really impressed with his attitude and his willingness to learn.”

Originally published asBali jailbird becomes NRL’s richest teen
Offer him $750,005.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So you are saying of we offered him 1.5 m a year he woudn't sign with the dogs? Please money talks !
As opposed to the amount the Broncos would pay in brown paper bags and off the books???

Your right, money does talk.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How did the Roosters build into what they are now. After we beat them in the 2004 GF they bought more and more of our players. Good first graders learn off great first graders from their attitude to training to the way they play on the field. SBW had a huge influence on the other Roosters players when he was there. I remember I used to read the interviews. They all raved about how special it was to play with him and how professional he was with his attitude. In the past I remember us buying a world class player to teach our younger players (Bob McCarthey, Gary Stevens, M'cGuire (from Balmain), Brett Kimmorely, Bradley Clyde, Ricky Stuart) and more recently Foran. Unfortunately Foran is broken and not gonna be there next year or probably there after. Players like Mitchell and Fifita are very young but they also have the experience of winning multiple comps, playing State of Origin and test matches. That experience, those PROVEN players give team mates confidence.
This is a good point but other clubs pinching your stars has always been a symptom of success. However, all of the guys you mention we bought like Kimmorley, Clyde, Stuart, Stevens and McCarthy where in the twilight of their careers after long careers at other clubs. They were good for a season or 2 and provided great experience the same way SBW did at the rorters.

Mitchel and Fifita are still raw and young and to be honest of the 2 I would take Fifita 10 times before Mitchel because he still has so much to prove and learn. Mitchel has less motivation because he has already reached some great highs but if he is of the same cut as Meninga, Johns, Thurston etc. it should propel him to set new goals and higher targets. I just dont think he will..

We have done very well over the years bringing in good English players but Ricky Stuart has really tapped that market of late.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Aren't you concerned about Keary's concussion risk though like a lot on here. If he gets another serious knock he may have to retire.

Who are the teams better than us ? Roosters, Raiders, Storm, Manly, Souths maybe. They all have at least a player or two on a MIL a season or close to it. Why do you think that is ?

Like we're gonna spot the next up and coming player for cheap whose going to become a star when every other club is trying to do the same. All clubs have spare dollars to sign such players at different times.

We have potential to be a very good team IF we add a couple of PROVEN game breakers - not maybes. Adding maybe's (players that may become great or may not) are exactly that - "MAYBES." As there are no decent halves available we need to strengthen the weakest links in OUR TEAM.

I think most of us would agree that DWZ, Hopa, and Remis Smith are all good enough to remain in our starting side no matter who we buy so we could improve Meaney's wing spot (even though Meaney is a decent NRL standard player) and the centre spot usually filled by Holland/Montoya/Harper. In the forwards Tolman is definitely the weakest link in attack. If we signed Mitchell to play fullback, DWZ could move to wing where we'd still get the benefit of his great kick returns and we could sign Zac Lomax to play centre. In the forwards I'd love to sign Fifita if there's anyway we could still afford him after Mitchell and Lomax but if not sign one the Roosters young forwards off contract for 2021.

This team would have top 4 potential right from 2021. We wouldn't have to wait another 4 years or more "hoping" that some bargain buys MIGHT turn out to be something special.

If you were forced to bet 1M of your own hard earned cash on who would prove the better player for the Dogs out of a proven player like Latrell Mitchell and an up and coming player with good potential who would you bet on ?

Latrell Mitchell
DWZ
Will Hopoate
Zac Lomax
Reimis Smith
Lachlan Lewis / Jake Averillo
Jack Cogger / Brandan Wakeham
Dylan Napa
JMK
Renouf Toomaga
CHN
David Fafita / Siosiua Taukeiaho