Bulldogs Call NRL Double Standards on Cap Relief

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The most recent contract rumour for the Tigers and Latrell is 800k/900k/1m over three years. It'd have to be a back ended contract (something like 700k/1m/1m over three years) which I wouldn't have a problem with and it isn't comparable to the last time we did back ended contracts (not misjudging the salary cap growth this time).
Well at least the cap is locked in for next 3 years (but only small increases during this time).

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
KF will get greater than $350k because it was for NZ and not the dogs. Unless our front office is completely useless at arguing a case we will retire him before new year.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
KF will get greater than $350k because it was for NZ and not the dogs. Unless our front office is completely useless at arguing a case we will retire him before new year.
What you mean greater than 350k?

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What you mean greater than 350k?
Legally we have a case and a moral argument based on the fact he was incapacitated while representing NZ and not the dogs. All 3 other med retirements were playing for their respective clubs. The fact he is a marque player on $1m a year (verses $350k allowance) and we have had so little out of him over 3 years will give us a fair hearing, only we can stuff that negotiation up..

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Legally we have a case and a moral argument based on the fact he was incapacitated while representing NZ and not the dogs. All 3 other med retirements were playing for their respective clubs. The fact he is a marque player on $1m a year (verses $350k allowance) and we have had so little out of him over 3 years will give us a fair hearing, only we can stuff that negotiation up..
The whole $350k is only given to you for getting injured in a rep game so the fact he was playing for NZ won’t come into it. If he doesn’t retire I think we are going to have a tough time getting the NRL to change the rules and we will only get the $350k but if he retires I think we would stand a much better chance of getting much more cap relief.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Legally we don’t have a leg to stand on
350k max for injury in rep games mate,
He was injured in a rep game, there’s no negotiating
So won’t get a penny more

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The whole $350k is only given to you for getting injured in a rep game so the fact he was playing for NZ won’t come into it. If he doesn’t retire I think we are going to have a tough time getting the NRL to change the rules and we will only get the $350k but if he retires I think we would stand a much better chance of getting much more cap relief.
You will find that not all things appear as they seem from a legal standpoint especially when they are challenged.

Ok, if you say so. But I am telling you there is a case for us to argue and the difference will be how we approach it. Even Foran coming out and saying he is not going to retire will work in our favour if handled correctly. I am not putting this out there to entertain myself...

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
You will find that not all things appear as they seem from a legal standpoint especially when they are challenged.
Almost every NRL rule can be beaten if you challenge it in court but I don’t think the club is going to go to that extent.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Almost every NRL rule can be beaten if you challenge it in court but I don’t think the club is going to go to that extent.
They wont have to if handled correctly, especially in the media as we do have some sympathy.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
They wont have to if handled correctly, especially in the media as we do have some sympathy.
It all depends on what route we take and if Foran doesn’t retire the chances of getting anymore then $350k is slim.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Unless the doctor retires him.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It all depends on what route we take and if Foran doesn’t retire the chances of getting anymore then $350k is slim.
Our angle doesn't need Forans input.He is done as a dog, I wish it was a better history but it is what it is and the club now has to protect the club. As someone else quoted on here (I think 086) "Club first team second player third".

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Our angle doesn't need Forans input.He is done as a dog, I wish it was a better history but it is what it is and the club now has to protect the club. As someone else quoted on here (I think 086) "Club first team second player third".
If the clubs angle is he got injured playing for NZ then the NRL are just going to say they already have the $350k compensation in place for this type of thing and that will be it.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
The only way for us to win I think is the court of public opinion. Even Buzz had an article about us getting shafted and that's fukin something. We need to play this out so the idiots hiding in dark shadows who run this game get uncomfortable while also pointing out to the other clubs that it will eventually be them so help us out. Let's understand that most players that play tier 1 rep games are usually close to being Marquee players. We also need to come out and say that until it's revised and fixed then Bulldogs players are no longer available for Representative matches. Encourage other teams to do the same. Hell I think from memory Bennett pulled that one a few years ago.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The only way for us to win I think is the court of public opinion. Even Buzz had an article about us getting shafted and that's fukin something. We need to play this out so the idiots hiding in dark shadows who run this game get uncomfortable while also pointing out to the other clubs that it will eventually be them so help us out. Let's understand that most players that play tier 1 rep games are usually close to being Marquee players. We also need to come out and say that until it's revised and fixed then Bulldogs players are no longer available for Representative matches. Encourage other teams to do the same. Hell I think from memory Bennett pulled that one a few years ago.
Now you are on the right wavelength.

Banned
Reaction score
It was and every time he hobbles into and out of the staff/players kitchen/rec area, he would see it twice!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
$350k concession for 6 months ok - but if out for 12 months it should be $700k. Others wise $350k doesn’t allow you much to replace him. ...
Especially when it's a half. It should be commensurate with what position they play, and the average salary.